Fortify master bedroom door?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
HTRN

Re: Fortify master bedroom door?

Post by HTRN »

JAG2955 wrote:and dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark they shoot bees at you.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Greg wrote:Got some mission creep going on. This started by looking to slow down a potentially hostile burglar.
And in grand Gun Counter tradition has moved on to preventing an infantry company from successfully assaulting your house. I do have to wonder what the consequences are going to be when a SWAT team eventually hits the wrong house and entire stacks get wiped out before they even breach a door. Do they even train for this kind of thing?
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Just make sure you also fortify the areas around the door so they can't just walk through with a simple boot-kick through the wall to create an opening.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Aesop wrote: The place for heavier stuff, I think, is in large cast concrete "planters" around the outside walls, just about far enough from the actual wall to squeeze in a paint roller as needed, and 1'-3' thick by 3'-4' high, or to the bottom of window sills, as they run along.

That they give you a place to plant roses, raspberries, cactus, or kitchen herbs, with 2' or so of gravel fill at the bottom, while preventing pretty much anything smaller than an Abrams tank from crashing through the outside walls is mere coincidence. Pre-molding faux loopholes on the planters, painting them midnight black, and inserting short pieces of black pipe pointing outward such that they cure emplaced is artistic license. 8-)
I've had that thought before, too. If I were going to be staying in this house for another decade or two, I would be all over that. There's already flowerbeds located there, so I wouldn't even have to re-do my walkway.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Get dual paned windows, about 1 inch thick. Place an easy break panel of glass on the outside, one that shatters into nice big chunks, and then a reinforced glass as the inside pane of all your windows. Fill the space in between with something highly toxic, preferably from the chlorine family.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

And here I thought grenade nets would be evil.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

308Mike wrote:Just make sure you also fortify the areas around the door so they can't just walk through with a simple boot-kick through the wall to create an opening.

plaster and lath has it's old school appeal.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yogimus wrote:Get dual paned windows, about 1 inch thick. Place an easy break panel of glass on the outside, one that shatters into nice big chunks, and then a reinforced glass as the inside pane of all your windows. Fill the space in between with something highly toxic, preferably from the chlorine family.
In the house where my family lives, probably not.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

on the more cheap and practical side, a peephole is a good idea.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

Yogimus wrote:Get dual paned windows, about 1 inch thick. Place an easy break panel of glass on the outside, one that shatters into nice big chunks, and then a reinforced glass as the inside pane of all your windows. Fill the space in between with something highly toxic, preferably from the chlorine family.

Toxic enough to be a problem when that small amount is broken, and vented to the exterior, and you won't want to risk the chance of it leaking into your house - Cl gas is a handy corrosive, but that's about it.