Arguments

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
HTRN

Re: Arguments

Post by HTRN »

Agree with her completely, what we really need is cheap full auto, ideally sold from vending machines. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

Full auto from vending machines sounds good to me :)

This being MD my odds of finding a non-liberal are pretty bad, and moving is out of the picture.

She is pretty into free will and self determination, so the whole "need has nothing to do with it" might work. Also I'm hoping taking her to the range to demystify guns may help. She seems like someone who could come around someday which is why I'm looking for good arguments instead of just staying quiet or writing her off immediately. I think Breda said she was anti gun for a while before she became a gunnie. Though I'm not sure Breda was a liberal.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Yea, I'm afraid I have to join the chorus of "don't date a liberal." If you have to try and convince her of basic truths about life everyday while together, let alone trying to live together, your long term happiness is in serious question. Well over a decade ago, my ex-fiancé was liberal and batshit crazy. It would have been a huge mistake in my life, and almost was a bigger one. Fun to screw, but a plague on your happiness.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

He's young. Stick it in the crazy. Try to convert. If not successful, move on. :)
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

AndytheAxe wrote:We were talking last night about Obama's executive order and she said "no one needs a semi automatic".
Unless you are just dating for fun and she is incredibly hot -dump and run. She definitely isn't marriage material if you have to try explain common sense to her. Speaking from experience, if you have to argue the merits of this core belief you are not going to be happy in the long run.

How many conservatives married to liberals are truly happy (without getting a divorce)?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

A cow-orker of mine stuck it in the crazy, married the crazy, and had 3 kids with the crazy. Then spent most of the last couple years in court with the crazy and is now finally legally single again. But it's still like the gift that keeps on giving, due to the kids and the house. At least he managed to keep all of his guns through it all. She tried to claim abuse, but her craziness was apparent even to the court. I guess he even gets his house back after a certain date if she can't keep up with the payments, which seems likely. But he's expecting it to need a full remodel after the way she's trashed it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

The best explanation as to why BHO's executive order is a problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yeGMaT3PvI

To paraphrase:
Yossarian: "Doc, I need a permit to buy a gun"
Doc: "You know I can't do that. You're crazy to want a gun"
Yossarian: "Can you give someone a permit to buy a gun if he isn't crazy?"
Doc: "Of course! There's a rule that says I have to give anyone a permit to buy a gun if they're not crazy."
Yossarian: "I'm not crazy!"
Doc: "Who says so?"
Yossarian: "Ask anybody, ask Orr! Hey Orr, tell him!"
Orr: "Tell him what?"
Yossarian: "Tell him I'm not crazy!"
Orr: "He's not crazy all right."
Yossarian: "Orr's not crazy"
Doc: "Of course not!"
Yossarian: "So Orr can get a permit to buy a gun?"
Doc: "Of course, the rule says anyone who isn't crazy can buy all the guns they want."
Yossarian: "So why don't you give him a permit to buy a gun?"
Doc: "He has to ask me first."
Yossarian: "Then he can get a permit to buy a gun."
Doc: "No. Then I can't give him a gun permit.
Yossarian: "Aaaaah!"
Doc: "There's a catch. Catch 22. Anybody who wants a gun has to be crazy, so I can't give them a gun permit."
Yossarian: "OK. Let me see if I got this straight. In order to get a gun I can't be crazy, but if I want a gun, then I must be crazy."
Doc: "You got it! That's Catch 22!"
Yossarian: "That's some catch, that Catch 22!"
Doc: "It's the best there is!"

The Second Amendment was written to deal with those who invoke "Catch 22".

Anyone who believes this is a "common sense" gun restriction (not a law, Presidents are not allowed to write laws), deserves to get "Catch 22" invoked on them good and hard.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

AndytheAxe wrote:Full auto from vending machines sounds good to me :)
Tell her you think anti tank weapons should be sold via mail order.

Then when she blows a gasket, show her the infamous Solothurn ad. :twisted:

Ask her how many felonies in the last nearly fifty years have been committed with 20mm semi automatic cannons.

The answer is none.

Then ask her how many people have been killed with knives and baseball bats..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:...show her the infamous Solothurn ad. :twisted:
Do tell?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Netpackrat wrote:A cow-orker of mine stuck it in the crazy, married the crazy, and had 3 kids with the crazy. Then spent most of the last couple years in court with the crazy and is now finally legally single again. But it's still like the gift that keeps on giving, due to the kids and the house. At least he managed to keep all of his guns through it all. She tried to claim abuse, but her craziness was apparent even to the court. I guess he even gets his house back after a certain date if she can't keep up with the payments, which seems likely. But he's expecting it to need a full remodel after the way she's trashed it.
New drama... Apparently he got served with 3 restraining orders this week, because she's claiming he abused the kids when they were staying with him.

Do not stick it in the crazy.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop