AR 15 vs. Uzi vs. Glock with 33 round mag

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Netpackrat

Re: AR 15 vs. Uzi vs. Glock with 33 round mag

Post by Netpackrat »

Precision, I would run Barnes 110gr TAC-TX in that setup, to deal with the body armor threat that you mention. With an Omega mounted it will still suppress plenty well even if it is supersonic.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

I may look into that. I assume they mushroom out pretty good? Would the 110gr at 2200fps penetrate soft armor?

The likelihood of armor is pretty low and at those distances a second shot in the pelvic girdle or throat isn't out of the question.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Precision wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:54 am I may look into that. I assume they mushroom out pretty good? Would the 110gr at 2200fps penetrate soft armor?

The likelihood of armor is pretty low and at those distances a second shot in the pelvic girdle or throat isn't out of the question.
It should blow right through soft armor. The projectile is designed to penetrate intermediate barriers and still expand in tissue, and also to expand at fairly low velocities. It was designed specifically for BLK... Some people have tried running them out of higher power rounds and they start to lose their jackets after leaving the barrel when you get much over blackout velocities.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:03 pm
Precision wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:54 am I may look into that. I assume they mushroom out pretty good? Would the 110gr at 2200fps penetrate soft armor?

It should blow right through soft armor. The projectile is designed to penetrate intermediate barriers and still expand in tissue, and also to expand at fairly low velocities. It was designed specifically for BLK... Some people have tried running them out of higher power rounds and they start to lose their jackets after leaving the barrel when you get much over blackout velocities.
I didn't look them up, I thought being Barnes they were solid copper, not a jacketed bullet. Learn something new everyday. Once the Christmas rush gets over and my new Reloading bench gets finished, I may just go buy some and see what they do. I think I can get my hands on an out of date vest and a pork butt...
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Precision wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:54 am

I didn't look them up, I thought being Barnes they were solid copper, not a jacketed bullet. Learn something new everyday. Once the Christmas rush gets over and my new Reloading bench gets finished, I may just go buy some and see what they do. I think I can get my hands on an out of date vest and a pork butt...
They are solid copper with a polymer tip.

Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:05 am
Precision wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:54 am

They are solid copper with a polymer tip.
Then I am confused. How do they lose their jacket if they are solid copper?

I did look them up and they do have promise. Once I get my new reloading bench finished, those will be on the list.
And by the way, thanks for the old reloading bench thread. I really like the Inline Fabrication stands. In speaking with the owner, I may begin selling them on Amazon and become the brand ambassador for his products there. More money for me and less work for him.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Sorry, brain fart. I meant to say that people have found they blow up after leaving the barrel when pushed beyond their design velocity range. They don’t have a jacket to lose but the petals can come off.

Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:08 am Sorry, brain fart. I meant to say that people have found they blow up after leaving the barrel when pushed beyond their design velocity range. They don’t have a jacket to lose but the petals can come off.
That makes a lot more sense. So running them at 3000fps makes for bullet puffs. Running them at <2500 fps is the magic.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

You know, at first, i thought you could put them into sometging like a 300 varminter, with its slow twist, and rive em at 4000 ft/sec, but after playing with bergers bullet stabilty calculator, its a no go - because theyre solid copper, they're longer than other lightweight 30 cal bullets, and so, need a higher twist rate - they seem to start to destabilize when twists get slower than 1-11".
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, they are very much designed specifically for 300blk.