Butterfly Knives?

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
The Wizard

Butterfly Knives?

Post by The Wizard »

Does anyone know where i can get a good quality Balisong that doesnt cost an arm, leg and a first born? i use to have a good one but someone thought they needed it more more than i did.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
Rumpshot

Re: Butterfly Knives?

Post by Rumpshot »

There were a bunch on sale at the Crossroads of the West gunshow in Phoenix a week and a half ago.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Rumpshot wrote:There were a bunch on sale at the Crossroads of the West gunshow in Phoenix a week and a half ago.
He said quality, most of the gunshow fodder is only good for opening letters.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

CByrneIV wrote:
The Wizard wrote:Does anyone know where i can get a good quality Balisong that doesnt cost an arm, leg and a first born? i use to have a good one but someone thought they needed it more more than i did.
Cold Steel has a decent one they sell sometimes, but it's not consistently available.

They make another one called the Paradox that is similar to a butterfly knife, but it's spring tensioned. Right now, it runs for $130.

I personally don't consider that an arm and a leg for a decent knife.

The Benchmade model 42 is a very good knife, and runs around $240 at discount dealers. The 51 and 32 are a bit less (around $200).

That's getting a bit pricey for what is, essentially, a toy.

The problem is, customs won't allow new bali songs to be imported since the early 90s. You can import parts and assemble them here, or make them here; but the normal brands either wont carry them at all (because of the cost of U.S.S labor) or they charge a fortune.

Your best bet might be getting a kit actually:

http://www.kitknife.com/butterfly_balisong_kit.htm

Though I have to ask, why bother? Especially if you live in a switchblade state.
for the simple reason you stated Chris, its more or less a toy, i enjoy the manipulations of a butterfly. the switchblade doesnt hold the same allure for me, its not a matter of getting the blade out fast, its amusement in doing so. but i dont want a crappy knife that i cant ever use for anything and was made in the PRC out of old Coke cans. does that make sense?
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

CByrneIV wrote:Cold Steel has a decent one they sell sometimes, but it's not consistently available.
They have one available this Christmas season:

Paradox
Christmas Sale

Specifications:
Weight: 6.1 oz.
Blade Thickness: 3.5 mm
Blade Length: 4 1/2"
Steel: Japanese AUS 8A Stainless
Overall: 9 1/2"
Handle: 5" Long. 6061 Aluminum
Stainless Pocket/Belt Clip
Regular price: $129.99
Christmas Sale: $83.99

XF24P
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

I know very little about what is good, bad or indifferent with Butterfly/Balisong knives as I've never liked them even before I found out they are illegal in Canada...

I know of two custom makers:
Charles Marlowe and
George Knives

I have these dealers and general info sites for my Philippine Knife Section but can't attest to the info or quality of the dealer:
Bakisong.com
Balisong Knife Collector's
Traditional Filipino Weapons
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Like Chris said, the Benchmade 42. The company was basically built around their butterfly knives, though they've obviously branched out since then.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets