Blade Magazine: CUSTOMS WITHDRAWS KNIFE PROPOSAL

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
SeekHer

Blade Magazine: CUSTOMS WITHDRAWS KNIFE PROPOSAL

Post by SeekHer »

E-mail from Blade Magazine

Go to site to view the numerous embedded links...

*°-*°-*°-*°-*°-*°- *°-*°-*°-*°-*°-*°-*°-*°-*°-*°-*°-*°-*°-*°-*°-
CUSTOMS WITHDRAWS KNIFE PROPOSAL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 30, 2009

by Ben Sobieck, online editor
Timeline
U.S. Customs Seeks to Prohibit Assisted Opening Knives

Operation Switch Hunt Begins

Would Proposed Ban Really Outlaw One-Handed Knives?

Customs Feeling the Heat

Senate Passes 1958 Switchblade Act Amendment

Customs Mute as Knife Ban Deadline Passes

Never miss a minute of the action when you sign up for the free BLADE e-newsletter. Just put your e-mail into the box in the upper left of this page.

Breaking from its usual silence, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (Customs) made it clear July 30 it will not pursue further action on a proposed assisted opener ban.

According to Knife Rights, U.S. Representative Kurt Schrader (D-OR) received a letter from Michael J. Yeager, of Customs's Office of Congressional Affairs (click here to read it). Yeager pointed to an amendment to the 1958 Federal Switchblade Act that recently passed the U.S. Sentate as to why Customs is backing off.

"The amendment would effectively obviate the need for CBP's proposed revocations and render the current issue moot," Yeager wrote. "Additionally, due to the numerous comments received in response to the proposed revocation, it is unlikely that CBP will take any further action prior to passage of the Appropriations Act."

If signed into law, the amendment would provide an exception for assisted openers, galvanizing their legality. It will be considered by the U.S. House of Representatives following the August recess.

It does not appear Customs will reignite its proposal if that amendment fails to become law.

"It may not be over until the fat lady sings, and we actually get the Amendment through Conference Committee, but for all practical purposes, we shouldn't have to worry about Customs reaching into your pockets for your pocket knives anytime soon," a release from Knife Rights stated.

The mood at Operation Switch Hunt, the BLADE-sponsored push against Customs, was jubilant. Editor Steve Shackleford called the response to Customs "unprecedented."

"I’ve been in the business for almost a quarter century and never have I seen such a concerted effort by pro-knife rights organizations such as the American Knife & Tool Institute and KnifeRights.org, factory knife company officials, the knife media, and, most important of all, Joe The Plumber knife enthusiasts to all come together and contact their elected officials and demand action – and, it seems, actually get it," Shackleford said.

He noted this does not mean the edgencia should stop pushing for the Switchblade Act amendment.

"I still think the House needs to pass amendment language to the Federal Switchblade Act to ensure that the sneaky back-door antics of U.S. Customs cannot be tried again," Shackleford said. "But, all in all, it appears to be a shining moment for all who love knives."
Last edited by SeekHer on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Dedicated_Dad

Re: Blade Magazine: CUSTOMS WITHDRAWS KNIFE PROPOSAL

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

I know I'm not the only one who appreciates your posting these.

This question in no way lessens that appreciation - feel free to tell me to buzz off - but...
According to Knife Rights, U.S. Representative Kurt Schrader (D-OR) received a letter from Michael J. Yeager, of Customs's Office of Congressional Affairs (click here to read it). ....
Any idea where we could "click" to read it?

Thanks!!

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Dedicated_Dad wrote:I know I'm not the only one who appreciates your posting these.

This question in no way lessens that appreciation - feel free to tell me to buzz off - but...
According to Knife Rights, U.S. Representative Kurt Schrader (D-OR) received a letter from Michael J. Yeager, of Customs' Office of Congressional Affairs (click here to read it). ....

Thanks!!
DD

Read the note, which I just highlighted, below the link to Blade magazine...
Coverage of the story...it had lots of links and I don't have lots of connection time to post the links, sorry...
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Link added.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

SeekHer wrote:
Dedicated_Dad wrote:I know I'm not the only one who appreciates your posting these.

According to Knife Rights, U.S. Representative Kurt Schrader (D-OR) received a letter from Michael J. Yeager, of Customs' Office of Congressional Affairs (click here to read it). ....

Thanks!!
DD

Read the note, which I just highlighted, below the link to Blade magazine...
Coverage of the story...it had lots of links and I don't have lots of connection time to post the links, sorry...
I'm sorry I missed that the first time...

Thanks again -- I KNOW you know I meant no offense!!

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."