For the Kalashnikov aficionados...

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Denis

For the Kalashnikov aficionados...

Post by Denis »

On a German firearms auction site I spotted someone in Poland selling "Russian CCCP AK-47 bayonets". Auction items here and here.

They were cheap, and I couldn't resist... you know the rest. Here's what I got.
Two Bayos.JPG
One is triangular, with about a 12-inch blade. It's solid and heavy, with a grip for rather large hands, and an interesting butterfly-catch arrangement at the pommel. It's fairly nicely made, though the Philips-head screws look just rough enough to be genuine Soviet manufacture, and the red stain on the wood scales could have been used for Raisa Gorbachyova's hairdo. The point is sharp, and the three edges have been ground, but not sharpened.
AK47_Triangular.JPG
The other bayonet is a very long knife - about 16 1/2 inches. The seller described it as a "Mark V" AK bayonet, and it's stamped "AK-47 CCCP" at the ricasso. The attachment at the pommel is like that of a Mauser bayonet - a slot with a single sprung retainer, operated by a push-button on one side. Nicely made and polished; the scales are riveted, not screwed on. The grips were sanded to shape after the rivets were set. Same red wood-stain as the other, same scabbard material, but this one is hand-sewn.
AK47_Long.JPG
So, here's the question for the AK experts. These don't look like any Soviet bayonets known to my Google-fu. So what are they? Tip: the fasteners on the scabbards are marked "YIK Fung", which is a trademark of Chi Hing Metal Ltd of Hong Kong. The scabbards are vinyl, not leather (which would be unusual for the Soviets, who never had enough plastics...).

My guess - present-day Soviet-memorabilia knock-offs. However, they're pretty nicely done, and fun. The knife one would look good carving a roast turkey for guests
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Denis on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denis

Re: For the Kalashnikov aficionados...

Post by Denis »

Two more little photos: the catch arrangement on the pommel of the triangular bayonet...
attachment.JPG
and the CCCP marking on the flat one...
ricasso.JPG
Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

I have never seen any AK type bayonets that looked like this. The bit about Hong Kong on the hardware pretty much rules out Soviet Construction. However they may very well be great knives/short swords for the price. Do you have any AKs to test them on to see if the actually fit?
Denis

Post by Denis »

Kommander wrote:Do you have any AKs to test them on to see if the actually fit?
Alas, no. I do have a Czech Vz-58 on layaway with Mr Gunshop, which I suspect would take Soviet-bloc bayonets. I do have a couple of genuine Czech bayonets somewhere - I must compare them...
Denis

Post by Denis »

Hmm. Looks like Czech bayonets use a different attachment system. They have a long, wide slot on the back with a locking plunger, but no ring to go over the barrel.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Never seen one of those. Bring it perhaps and we can try mounting it on some of mine....
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
ButchS1066

Post by ButchS1066 »

I dunno what they are, but they're not AK bayonets.

A AK-47 bayonet looks like this:
ak47bayo.jpg
An early AKM bayonet looks like this:
etype2bayo.jpg
A late AKM/AK-74 bayonet looks like this:
ltype2bayo.jpg
Current production AK-100 bayonets look like this:
type3bayo.jpg
The rest of the Warsaw Pact bayonets tend to be variations of the early and late AKM bayonet patterns.

Pics shamelessly stolen from Tantal's site.
Life is short, ammo is expendable. Empty the mag.
Denis

Post by Denis »

CombatController wrote:Never seen one of those. Bring it perhaps and we can try mounting it on some of mine....
Can't you just imagine the Customs and Border Patrol agents at Chicago O'Hare having collective aneurisms?

"Why, certainly officer. I always travel to the US with a 16-inch knife in my luggage. I find it useful as a distraction from all the other contraband."

Butch, thanks for the pictorial enlightenment.
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

The butterfly clasp on the bottom looks like the kind on M16/AR15 bayonets.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Frankingun wrote:The butterfly clasp on the bottom looks like the kind on M16/AR15 bayonets.
Now where do I get one of those to test... they don't grow on trees around here. It would be cool-looking, but a bit unwieldy, as the bayonet would probably weigh as much as the rifle.

Hmm. I see the same auction seller is now offering a job-lot of 20 short bayonets in the knife style, and he's throwing in a few inert 7.62x39mm rounds... There's a good view of the attachment mechanism on that page.