Useful, UK-legal knives?

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Jericho941

Useful, UK-legal knives?

Post by Jericho941 »

I've come to realize something here: Knives are useful, and being without one sucks.

As most of you know, since banning handguns completely failed to stop violent crime, the UK turned and tried to ban knives, too. Which they did, mostly.

So I need something with a non-locking blade* in 3" or less that is remotely useful. The Swiss Army knives at the BX are a bit on the small side for my taste. Any suggestions?

*Apparently a 1.5" blade with a locking mechanism is an armor-piercing cop-killer knife. No, really.
Aglifter

Re: Useful, UK-legal knives?

Post by Aglifter »

I take it the folding/extending box cutters are illegal -- that's about the most useful knife, IMO...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
ZeroGravitas

Post by ZeroGravitas »

Spyderco makes one just for you, the UKPK (UK Pen Knife) ... UK legal as it's not "locking", it just has a badass slip-joint (like a Swiss Army, only more effective).

Here's a great UK dealer, with their UK Legal Carry page. Check the Spyderco's as well other brands they've vetted as UK-OK.

http://www.heinnie.com/gdrkwl243231/Kni ... -1-92-641/
Last edited by ZeroGravitas on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Get the tri-angle Sypderco sharpener for it too, and use it to keep the rest of your knives as sharp. I've had mine for decades and it still works GREAT!!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
BadgerAZ

Post by BadgerAZ »

Detailed review of the Spyderco U.K. Pen Knife

Also (seriously), are you allowed to carry scissors?
ZeroGravitas

Post by ZeroGravitas »

Badger, I'm betting carrying that very neat pair of scissors would be a crime unless you needed that particular combo for work, or were going hunting. One cannot carry a fixed blade knife unless you have "good reason". The words "good reason" are written into the law!

If the Big 0 had his way, we'd be just like the lucky Brits.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Cool, I'll definitely look into that.
ZeroGravitas wrote:Badger, I'm betting carrying that very neat pair of scissors would be a crime unless you needed that particular combo for work, or were going hunting. One cannot carry a fixed blade knife unless you have "good reason". The words "good reason" are written into the law!

If the Big 0 had his way, we'd be just like the lucky Brits.
Pretty much. If I had a baseball bat in my car, and it's not baseball season in USAFE, they would assume that I have it because I intend to beat the hell out of someone with it, and deal with me accordingly.
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

You are OK with a baseball bat, just make sure you also have a ball and a glove. You were having a game in the park with some friends the other day, weren't you ? ;)

As soon as winter arrives make sure you get an aerosol of de-icing spray. A blast of that in the face will temporarily incapacitate most people. Comes in handy for de-icing the car as well :)
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
ChrisO

Post by ChrisO »

Is the no lock knives a recent change to UK law?

I've got some friends who might need to tidy up there toolbox a bit.
ZeroGravitas

Post by ZeroGravitas »

Fact: Ownership of lockers is OK. Carrying about in a public place is not.
When: Not sure, but I think it's the Violent Crime Reduction Act of 2006
Link: Blades, Britain and the Law

If you want to see what the US liberal elite want for us, check the link. Knocking US Customs back on their heels was another blow for the good.