BEAR GRYLLS SURVIVAL SERIES--KNIFE

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
SeekHer

BEAR GRYLLS SURVIVAL SERIES--KNIFE

Post by SeekHer »

The knife Bear Grylls uses in his television series Man vs Wild is made by the BAYLEY KNIFE CO but for £350 ($510 US) I think I'll pass on it...

I really do like the sheath though...

Bear Grylls official website

There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: BEAR GRYLLS SURVIVAL SERIES--KNIFE

Post by Combat Controller »

No crosspiece?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

A striking pommel is more of a 'meh' item for me but those serrations are ineffective.

The 'original' version had a plain blade. Much better.
I don't mind serrations but I want them to work.

I'd much prefer the old style Benchmade 140SBK Nimvramus before the grip change (new style pictured), and yes it does have the partial serration with a conventional blade. It's an effective size 4.5", with excellent weight and thickness or should I say thinness. I've dressed any number of critters using this model as well as the usual camp/survival chores and have found it almost ideal for my uses.

Growing up using Puukko style knives, crosspieces are either an addition of unneeded weight or an abomination of nature, changing the handling characteristics of a given blade. The blade either has one that's built right and balanced just so or they're an afterthought that should have been thought about again.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Yeah, I'll be buying anything Bear Grylls or Paul from OCC endorses or uses because those shows are reality based.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

I apologize, I posted the picture of the new model...the original doesn't have the serrations...Check their site and the knife is just a Raven series with his name on it--that feature is worth $100, whoopee!

No different then the SOG Northwest, a couple Cold Steel, Benchmade, Camillus, Buck, Gerber models, and $350 to $450 cheaper…Sorry, but his “NAME” ain’t worth that much except maybe to the couch bound outdoorsman wannabe…

4" blade is more than adequate and this is a civilian survival knife idea and not a military one with hammer head and quillons (hand guards) needed for the dispatch of sentries or guards...I have found that the serrations on the back of the blade more useful--then you don't dull your blade with pulls going past the wavy part...The handle is full length so there is some metal in the end just not a true hammer head like on a KA-BAR etc...

There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

For now I think I'll stick with my Leatherman ala Les Stroud...
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Factfind

Post by Factfind »

I'm very happy with the solidly built no-frills knives from Rat Cutlery. Beefy tools that work in the real world with affordable prices.

http://ratcutlery.com/
Factfind

Post by Factfind »

Spot on piece on knives! Well done Mr. Byrne.
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

All I have left is my Randall model 14. I've sold off a lot of my other knives, or given a few away as gifts, but I carried that model 14 for half my Navy career as my survival knife. It's a bit on the large side for a handy camp knife, but it's almost indestructible and holds an edge like no other knife I've owned.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

I should get myself a good belt-knife again. Currently I've just got a somewhat battered S&W SWAT folder, a spring steel utility knife made by Mad Mike, and a couple of surprisingly decent cheapies from Bud-K stashed here & there as spares in case I forget to bring my S&W. The Bud-K ones are the "Toxic Steel" line, which seems to have been discontinued by Bud-K. Not quite crappy enough for them, I suppose. :roll: Not a great (or even a good) knife by any stretch of the imagination, but better than you'd expect for $5.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.