Large boar knife?

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Denis

Large boar knife?

Post by Denis »

I have been fortunate enough to be invited to one of the foremost driven boar-hunts in Germany. Wohoo!

However, a forester friend has warned me that the boar there are known for being particularly agressive towards humans, and that I should definitely arm myself with a large, stout blade, in addition to my rifle.

So, what would you all recommend?

The traditional German weapon for this purpose would be a "Saufeder" - a sort of broad-bladed spear (once wielded from horseback). Cold Steel sells a modern reproduction boar spear.

Or perhaps a "Hunting Trousse", another traditional option. Vinland Kindred sells a reproduction by Windlass. Any good, or just for play-acting?

Ever popular with German hunters is the "Waidblatt" - a big ol' knife with a heavy curved blade. There are two classic versions. The more common one (Frevert's design) is made by Puma, and the very rare Lippertsches Waidblatt is now available as a limited edition reproduction. Both cost lots of euros...

Since I already have one, I'm thinking of bringing along the Model 1918 bayonet from my Swiss K31 rifle, which is long, strong and pointy, but not sharpened along the sides. I have a few Sturmgewehr '57 bayonets which are similar, but shorter, and I think my StGw'90 bayonet is too short.

What would you all choose? Any other ideas?
Precision

Re: Large boar knife?

Post by Precision »

I would definitely go with something on a POLE over something in my hand.

Around here they do boar hunts with Pit Bulls (dog driven and dog captured) then the boar is dispatched using a knife to slit it's throat. Even with 4-8 dogs locked onto it, I would be using a pole spear.

Others (crazy people) actively hunt boars with pole spears. Those guys use spears with 10+ inch blades and a 8+ inch steel cross bar behind the blade. Sometimes the stabbed boars continue running up the spear to try and get at you and the cross bar "prevents" that.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

They are being chased to you, nicht var...

Find tree stand and forget about the knife heroics...

I had one of the Cold Steel Boar Spears that I sold to an online member a couple of years ago...not bad steel, fairly robust but a 300 kg boar would bend it in no time once struck and stuck...

The Puma Waidblatt (Wide Blade) is a beauty...saw one here but NOT very overpriced for what you’re getting...

Since you mentioned Windlass, why not get a Roman Gladius from them or any of the other Indian made Arms & Armour Companies, Museum Replicas has one for $195.00 but they also carry a lovely little Gladiator Blade for $145.00--$163.00 sharpened...Overall: 23-1⁄2", Blade: 17" long, 2-1⁄2" wide, 3⁄16" thick, Wt: 2 lbs/4 oz

There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Denis

Post by Denis »

SeekHer wrote:Find tree stand and forget about the knife heroics...
Haha. :-)

Hmm, a gladius. My long-suffering Latin teacher would approve.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yes. A stout thrusting blade would be my choice over a curved slashing blade.

Could you manage a spear and a long gun? Not sure how that would all be juggled.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

I saw this crazy guy on TV hunt boars with a knife. Can't remember his name. He is a Yankee guy with a huge ego, that always tries some strange feat on his show. Anyway, he said nothing ever scared him more than hunting pigs with a knife.

Edit: Tred Barta is who I was thinking of. The man deserves his large ego.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I do enjoy hunting feral hogs, but the notion of tackling one with a knife, no matter how big/sharp/effective just strikes me as having "bad idea" written all over it, in big black letters. That's why I carry a .30-06, or (if we're hunting really heavy cover) a carbine-length lever action in .45 Colt, and I have a large-caliber revolver as a sidearm. If it gets to knife-length contact, things have gotten totally out-of-hand.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

I'm afraid that if the critter is aggressive towards me, it's just going to get shot again. Repeatedly.

The time it takes to draw a pig-sticker is time I could be reloading another round. And when flustered or running, I've got more practice reloading.

And it would also say something bad about my marksmanship and weapon choice, I've shot a handful of 'hogs' over the years and only one required a second shot. I'm afraid that my choice normally falls to the .45-70 and WFN style bullets loaded very hot.

Were I forced to pick a large blade, the Cold Steel Trailmaster would be it.
Bob K

Post by Bob K »

Having hunted more than a few wild hogs in my life (mostly in TN) if it comes down to using a blade, it just means you don't know what you're doing.

Minimum caliber: .30-06 with 180 or 220 grain bullets.

Best caliber: .45-70 with a hefty handload or 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs. Either are good for a 1 shot kill. If you need more, in close quarters, a heavily loaded .44 Magnum always worked for me.

Blades? Now you're fighting on the pigs terms instead of yours.
"Youth and skill are no match for age and treachery." Unknown

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

"Oderint dum metuant." ("Let them hate, so long as they fear.") Accius
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Well, I plan on doing this myself, but in Argentina... (Law school will be done by next Dec, so then I'll have time and money.)

According to the guide in Argentina: Spears are considerably more difficult to use -- he wouldn't allow a first-time hunter to use a spear.

In his opinion, the ideal blade is about 12", double-sided - less than 14", more than 10"
Less than 10, and it can be difficult to hit the heart, too long, and it gets too awkward. The knife should be double-sided so that it can slide to cut the heart sideways.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto