Interesting cartoon bow

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Weetabix

Re: Interesting cartoon bow

Post by Weetabix »

D5CAV wrote:
Weetabix wrote:My daughter is getting interested in archery. Can you recommend and non-shit-filled sites for her to get some pointers?
For target, for exercise or for hunting?
Target and exercise. She likes the look of recurve, so it will be that.
If she likes traditional archery, a great beginner bow is the Samick: http://www.3riversarchery.com/samick-sa ... e-bow.html

I'd buy it with 25 pound limbs, so she doesn't get discouraged, but be prepared to move up to 30 or 35 pound limbs (maybe another $70) if she sticks with it.
Looks nice. We'll have to do some googling and youtubing to figure out arrow rest or not. What's your opinon?
I don't know where you live in MO, but I would recommend finding an archery club with a course. I like those a lot more than indoor ranges.

http://www.crossroadsarcheryclub.com/
We'll look into that. Thanks.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

The Samick - and most other beginner bows - come with a little plastic stick-on arrow rest. They work fine.

It will be a long time before she is ready for the US Olympic team and one of the more expensive rests.

By that time, the expensive rest will look cheap compared to the Olympic-grade bow. Samick will be happy to make one of those for you as well - they supply the Korean Olympic team. Be prepared to spend $$$s.

I shoot off the shelf, but that means I have to use feather fletchings rather than the cheaper and more rugged plastic vanes on my arrows. You can shoot either vanes or fletchings off a rest.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I'm staying tuned to this thread. I'd like something "martial" that I can do in my backyard, since shooting is out of the question, bow might be pretty cool. It has the added bonus of opening up more hunting time for me as well.

I have some experience shooting recurve and compound when I was much younger. As I got older, occasionally I'd grab my dad's 65lb recurve to go shoot when my friends were shooting their compound hunting bows.

How about a recommendation for a compound hunting bow that I could find used for about $300? Or is my budget too low?
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Why not take your father's 65# recurve?

$300 should buy a decent compound bow, especially a used one. I paid about $100 for my compound bow (used), but I gave it to a friend because I preferred the feel of a recurve. Maybe if I bought a better compound bow, I'd still be shooting it.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

D5CAV wrote:Why not take your father's 65# recurve?
Haven't spoken to him in years.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

If his 65# bow is a Black Widow, it might be worth a phone call. Those are well over $1000.

You can get a brand new Samick at 55# or 60# for about $150.

My bows are 75#, so beyond what I can get in a machine-made bow, like a beginner Samick. Heavy bows have to be hand tillered.

The old guys at the range cringe when they look at my bows, but I haven't had shoulder surgery yet, so I can get away with it.

Most traditional archers - recurve or longbow - don't shoot anything more than 55#. Compound bows have 20% to 40% let-off at full draw, so you can hold a 75# bow with less than 50# of force.

I'm willing to bet that your father's bow hasn't been drawn in years.
toad

Post by toad »

I was just wondering what material could be used for those two circular pieces on the bow?