Buck Knife Model 110 now @ $28

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Catbird
Trigger Junkie

Buck Knife Model 110 now @ $28

Postby Catbird » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:33 am

The Buck Folding Hunter model 110 is one of their oldest and most popular designs. It's too bulky for pocket carry, but it comes with a black leather belt sheath. The beautiful brass and wood handle fits the palm very nicely. I personally prefer the smaller Ranger model 112, but it's hard to beat this price. I just bought four to give as gifts.

Now at Amazon for $27.99

(Edited for old price)
Last edited by Catbird on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD

Darrell
Good Christ I Need A Life

Re: Buck Knife Model 110 @ $28

Postby Darrell » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:42 am

Dang, thanks for the heads up. I paid about $100 for one of those a few years ago.

ETA: I take that back. I got it at Galyans when they were on clearance before being taken over by Dick's Sporting Goods. It was marked at ~$100, but I picked it up for $40 or so, IIRC. I wound up giving it away as a Christmas present.

ETA2: Dang, I looked it up. It was a Buck Alpha Hunter. Different knife, sorry!
Last edited by Darrell on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

rightisright
Active Shooter

Postby rightisright » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:47 am

That resembles my first "real" knife.

Aesop

Postby Aesop » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:59 am

That was my first "real" knife. Still have it.
At that price, I may start throwing a few in a drawer for replacements/spares just-in-case of whatever.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:16 am

Too bulky for pocket carry? I guess I was doing it wrong for 20+ years.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Jered

Postby Jered » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:45 am

I just ordered one. You can never have too many quality knives.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:40 pm

Aesop wrote:That was my first "real" knife. Still have it.

Mine, too. My uncle gave it to me.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:04 am

Dammit, I just did an amazon order yesterday..
EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Odahi
Loose Cannon

Postby Odahi » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I like a good knife, although I'm way too poor to indulge my tastes. But these are great knives, and I ordered two.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.

toad
On a list somewhere

Postby toad » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:32 am

IIRC a trick for fast emergency opening was to stick a piece of match stick across/under the point of the blade so you could snag the point on the back of your jeans' pockeet to get it open on for a quick draw. Some guys reinforced the pocket edge with plastic or leather so they could practice with out slicing up the pocket too much.

Catbird
Trigger Junkie

Postby Catbird » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:16 am

I just got mine via UPS today:
buck box.jpg
buck open.jpg

One forgets just how shiny the brass is on a new Buck knife that hasn't been scuffed up with use.

The fit and finish look good. The blade is tight with little to no wobble. The blade isn't super sharp. I can run my finger lightly along the edge without cutting myself. I can feel and see a slight roughness from the grind. It shouldn't be too hard to put a nice edge on it though. The manufacturing date code shows that it was made in 2015. Many commenters at Amazon said that some of the knives they received were marked as 50th anniversary editions, like this one. I like the plain one just fine.

Verdict: I'm very happy with these. I may have to buy a couple more at this price.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:28 am

The sheath that comes with it seems to be the biggest disappointment. Feels real cheap.

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Kommander
Active Shooter

Postby Kommander » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:58 am

HTRN wrote:The sheath that comes with it seems to be the biggest disappointment. Feels real cheap.

That's because your supposed to make your own! :mrgreen:

Denis

Postby Denis » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:07 am

Catbird wrote:Verdict: I'm very happy with these. I may have to buy a couple more at this price.

Shiny!! I also could not pass those up at that price. I ordered one for myself, and one for CC... now I just have to figure out how to get to Texas and pick mine up!

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:35 am

I usually just throw the belt pouch in the trash.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Catbird
Trigger Junkie

Postby Catbird » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:37 pm

HTRN wrote:The sheath that comes with it seems to be the biggest disappointment. Feels real cheap.

La vaina es hecho en Mexico. Te digo esto por si te interesa.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:24 pm

Denis wrote:Shiny!! I also could not pass those up at that price. I ordered one for myself, and one for CC... now I just have to figure out how to get to Texas and pick mine up!

You will, of course, let us know the details of your trip so those of us interested have an opportunity to witness the transfer and say hi, if possible? ;)

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:02 pm

I decided to order a couple this weekend. While it seems a little big for pocket carry for EDC, it looks to be an excellent tackle box/tool box knife, and it's the folder by which all others are judged.

I'm convinced that knives and flashlights are two things you can never have enough of, and that a bunch of middle-quality (and price) ones are better than one expensive one.

Odahi
Loose Cannon

Postby Odahi » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:04 am

Yeah, my two came to me quickly, and in great shape. One blade has just a tiny bit of wobble, the other not at all. The sheaths are good for keeping them in a glove box or tool box, so they don't get banged up. They both seem pretty sharp for a factory job. I don't usually keep mine "shaving sharp" anyway. That's a great price on an icon of my youth, I'm grateful to have gotten them. Thanks for the heads up!
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:18 am

Dang you guys. You kept talking about this, and now I bought some.

Denis

Postby Denis » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:50 am

Weetabix wrote:
Denis wrote:Shiny!! I also could not pass those up at that price. I ordered one for myself, and one for CC... now I just have to figure out how to get to Texas and pick mine up!

You will, of course, let us know the details of your trip so those of us interested have an opportunity to witness the transfer and say hi, if possible? ;)

Never fear. If I manage a trip this year, I'll be on here getting it organised. So many people to see, places to go and goodies to order and carry home. Am wondering how to get a knee mill into a suitcase...

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:42 pm

Well I pulled the trigger one three of them this morning, as well as a couple sharpeners. I'll report when they arrive.

rightisright
Active Shooter

Postby rightisright » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:54 pm

The peer pressure was just too much! :lol: I just picked one up... for nostalgia.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:24 am

MarkD wrote:Well I pulled the trigger one three of them this morning, as well as a couple sharpeners. I'll report when they arrive.

Yeah, I broke down and bought a lansky kit, to pad out the order for free shipping. I feel so ashamed. :lol:

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:54 pm

They arrived today. I had bought three as gifts to give to future grandsons. I realize now that the one my uncle gave me was a 112.

Now I'm thinking about buying three more - one for me, one for my son, and one more for a future grandson.

My kids better get busy giving me grandsons.

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:56 pm

I added one on to another order, because great price for a great knife. Came today, nice and tight. Bigger than I want for edc but perfect for utility and camping.
I also bought a Caterpillar branded pen light with COB LEDs. Eleven bucks, and it will blind you. Great work light!
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:07 pm

Amazon claims mine were delivered today, so I'll check them out tonight.

Like I said, you can never have too many knives or flashlights.

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:20 pm

Well, they arrived yesterday as promised.

Damn they're nice knives. Big, solid, and one of few folders I've owned where the handle actually FITS my big old paws. And the blade is big enough to cause vapors for my fellow commuters (which is why I doubt these knives will EVER be inside NYC). All three are now razor sharp.

They're a bit big and heavy for my EDC, but my EDC knives get carried a lot and used a little, so size and weight is more important that utility. The only thing I would add if I could would be a mechanism for opening one-handed. I have a feeling one of these will accompany me anytime I'm out fishing or otherwise engaged in activity where cutting something is likely.

The sheaths, OTOH, are crap. They may be serviceable, time will tell, or I may need to get something more substantial (or repurpose something I already have).

I also got three Lansky sharpeners, the pocket type with the carbide and ceramic slots, the diamond rod and the ceramic part for serrated blades. Much nicer than the Smith I had before. One of these will permanently reside in the kitchen drawer, one in my tacklebox, and the third is a spare.

Catbird
Trigger Junkie

Re: Buck Knife Model 110 now @ $40

Postby Catbird » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:31 am

I noticed this evening that the price had gone up to $39.99. Still a good deal. Congratulations to everyone who got one at the old price.

Malthorn
Case Shiner

Postby Malthorn » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:34 am

Still shows @ $27.99 for me.

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Malthorn wrote:Still shows @ $27.99 for me.

Me too

Catbird
Trigger Junkie

Postby Catbird » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:56 pm

MarkD wrote:
Malthorn wrote:Still shows @ $27.99 for me.

Me too

That's weird. It changed back sometime last night.

Weetabix

Re: Buck Knife Model 110 now @ $28

Postby Weetabix » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:04 pm

Hmmph. I bought three more. Gave one to my son. I kept one. And I have 4 for future grandsons.

I was checking them all out to make sure they were OK. They were all a little stiff. No noticeable blade wobble. Fit and finish on the wood and brass were good. I picked the worst one for myself.

I was trying to handle them carefully so I wouldn't fingerprint them all up. I was being a bit awkward. The blade tips are very... pointy. The bleeding has stopped. :P

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:18 pm

Weetabix wrote:Hmmph. I bought three more. Gave one to my son. I kept one. And I have 4 for future grandsons.

I was checking them all out to make sure they were OK. They were all a little stiff. No noticeable blade wobble. Fit and finish on the wood and brass were good. I picked the worst one for myself.

I was trying to handle them carefully so I wouldn't fingerprint them all up. I was being a bit awkward. The blade tips are very... pointy. The bleeding has stopped. :P

When I bought my first good knife (a Kershaw Storm) it came pre-sharpened, and with a pack of band-aids.

My father always impressed upon me that you never cut yourself with a sharp knife, only a dull one because you don't realize how sharp it is.

Denis

Postby Denis » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:10 pm

MarkD wrote:My father always impressed upon me that you never cut yourself with a sharp knife, only a dull one because you don't realize how sharp it is.

Sharp blades tend to bite in, and not slip off whatever you're cutting to get you instead, unlike dull blades. It is certainly possible to cut one's-self with a sharp blade, but at least that doesn't hurt as badly as a cut with a blunt one, and it heals better too!

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:46 pm

I actually just poked myself lightly with the point while wiping the blade. It was silly, but I don't know if I've learned my lesson.

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:36 pm

Denis wrote:
MarkD wrote:My father always impressed upon me that you never cut yourself with a sharp knife, only a dull one because you don't realize how sharp it is.

Sharp blades tend to bite in, and not slip off whatever you're cutting to get you instead, unlike dull blades. It is certainly possible to cut one's-self with a sharp blade, but at least that doesn't hurt as badly as a cut with a blunt one, and it heals better too!

His point was that if you KNOW a blade is sharp you'll be careful with it. If you suspect it's not so sharp you're more likely to be careless, which is when you get cut. Just as most people are careful with straight razors.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:08 pm

MarkD wrote:
Denis wrote:

His point was that if you KNOW a blade is sharp you'll be careful with it. If you suspect it's not so sharp you're more likely to be careless, which is when you get cut. Just as most people are careful with straight razors.

Or with a dull knife you can get in the habit of 'making it cut' by applying a lot of force, which is dangerous.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:47 am

Looks like Amazon now requires over $49 in items for qualifying free shipping.
Really, Amazon? I still won't do Prime.

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:26 pm

Just fyi i'm at my local Cabelas, they have the Buck 110 commemorative knife which comes in a metal tin with the Cabelas logo on the blade, clearanced for $14.88 each. There's lots of them in stock.

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:50 pm

Could not resist, bought four of them. Made in usa not china. I know what I'm giving my in laws for christmas this year!

Denis

Postby Denis » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:20 pm

evan price wrote:Just fyi i'm at my local Cabelas, they have the Buck 110 commemorative knife which comes in a metal tin with the Cabelas logo on the blade, clearanced for $14.88 each. There's lots of them in stock.

Wow!

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:18 am

evan price wrote:Just fyi i'm at my local Cabelas, they have the Buck 110 commemorative knife which comes in a metal tin with the Cabelas logo on the blade, clearanced for $14.88 each. There's lots of them in stock.

Odd, the web site still lists them for $49.

Durham68
Loose Cannon

Postby Durham68 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:49 pm

TGC Group buy facilitated by Evan?
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:33 am

Durham68 wrote:

TGC Group buy facilitated by Evan?

If you guys seriously want em...let me know.
Heck I thought about going and grabbing as many as I could carry and flip em on ebay.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:28 am

Heck, yeah, I'd go for two or three, at least.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Durham68
Loose Cannon

Postby Durham68 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:59 am

First Shirt wrote:Heck, yeah, I'd go for two or three, at least.

Same here. You sure you're up for this?
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:19 am

Went back to Cabelas to buy some more knives, they were sold out. Hunting hardlines manager said they were gone by Saturday morning and he changed the endcap to something else Saturday night.
Sorry to disappoint.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:08 am

No worries, thanks for checking.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Denis

Postby Denis » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:49 am

First Shirt wrote:No worries, thanks for checking.

+1. Thanks!

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:54 am

Now, if they'll do this with the 120s..

Return to “Hack, Slash, and Strike”