Muslim meets gentleman with folder.

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Jered

Re: Muslim meets gentleman with folder.

Post by Jered »

That's reasonable. If you're limping, you definitely should remember your heater.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Termite

Post by Termite »

toad wrote: If you are elderly and limping you are a target. I've been pretty good about remembering to take my pistol and having one up the spout, cocked and locked.
Sounds like Toad is running a one-man Q-ship operation.......... :lol:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
toad

Post by toad »

I've been looking at the Kel-Tec SU16C. It has a pretty thick barrel on it. An I could fold it up small enough to fit in my back pack. Folded length 25 to 27 inches depending on what you have hanging on the muzzle. You can shoot it folded. If you use GI magazines you can carry it folded with a 30 rounder (28 to be on the safe side). With the GI mags you can fold and unfold it without hang ups. P mags have to wide a base on them. Nut'nFancy gave it a pretty good review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaqPowTdqtg
Trigger pull out of the box varies from 5 to 7 pounds, at least according to Kel-Tec. Takes about 200 rounds to break it in. I figure 30 rounds of dummy ammunition, hand cycling it about a 120 times, and three grades of polishing compound will let me get it broken in and the trigger pull lighter. I like the idea of doing the AK folder carry under a trench coat during cold weather :twisted:
You can get a bayonet lug for it if you want to get hyper aggressive.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

toad wrote:I carry a knife but it is not my choice for even a secondary weapon. It is for when I'm so out of it that I don't recognize the threat and to step back or to the side to get my carry pistol into action. It is more of a "I'll take you with me" option.
I've got a folder. I figure it's for a situation where someone blind sides you, and you're at halitosis range. I'd use it to get space to deploy a pistol.

I think it was Tam who said something like, "If you're at bad breath range, and you're holding a pistol, you both have a pistol. Get some distance before you bring the pistol into play." Made sense to me.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Well I carry a folder, and have a Sub2k in an inconspicuous place about the home.

Need to get the ball rolling to carry, but other things keep using up all the round tuits, and the square tuits just don't work.

Went to the new IKEA recently and saw an old-timer walking through the showroom with his wife. He was printing a bit. He also apparently noticed me looking and gave me a bit of a scowl, I just nodded and gave a little smile back. Old-timers should carry, I was just a little surprised to make someone. Northeast reflexes and all that. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

My EDC knife is a ZT0560. The blade is 3.75" long, which is fairly long for a folder in your pocket.

I am learning more and more that I "look scary" when I have on a hat and sunglasses. Combine that with the beard, and folks don't like to talk to me. I scared my old Idaho realtor and a doctor who was treating my wife's knee.

That's when I realized that I shouldn't wear my Punisher t-shirt in public.
toad

Post by toad »

JAG2955 wrote:My EDC knife is a ZT0560. The blade is 3.75" long, which is fairly long for a folder in your pocket.

I am learning more and more that I "look scary" when I have on a hat and sunglasses. Combine that with the beard, and folks don't like to talk to me. I scared my old Idaho realtor and a doctor who was treating my wife's knee.

That's when I realized that I shouldn't wear my Punisher t-shirt in public.
:lol:

Hmmm, I'm a bit too rotund for the punisher T-Shirt. I wonder if I can get one of Morton Downey as Sherlock Holmes hand cuffed naked to a bed, Saying, "It's alright. I'm a professional!"
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I carry a Kershaw Skyline folder every day, sometimes a Kershaw Chill.

Living in NJ and working in NYC carrying is pistol isn't an option. I hope I never have to use my pocketknife for self-defense, but it's there if I need it.

I try to make up for the lack of proper armament by reacting quickly if the need arises. I almost took a buddy's head off one day when he snuck up behind me, stuck his finger into my back, and said "Give me your wallet". I was three-quarters of he way around to hit him when his voice registered, so instead of decking him I pulled up and smacked him in the side of the head. He was amazed at how fast I turned on him.

Given that he was a little guy (maybe 5'3" and 110 lb soaking wet with two rolls of quarters in each pocket) and I'm a big guy, I'd probably have sent him to the hospital if I'd connected.
Jered

Post by Jered »

toad wrote: Hmmm, I'm a bit too rotund for the punisher T-Shirt. I wonder if I can get one of Morton Downey as Sherlock Holmes hand cuffed naked to a bed, Saying, "It's alright. I'm a professional!"
Underneath this pillow lies the key to my release.

:lol:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Termite

Post by Termite »

I am of the opinion that dollar for dollar, the Spyderco Endura is one of the best EDC carry knives. I usually pair mine with a Swiss Army "Tinker".
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."