Recommend multi tool

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Jericho941

Re: Recommend multi tool

Post by Jericho941 »

Yeah, it's kinda hard to fit a Leatherman in your ear.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Had a friend helping me frame a deck last month. He had a Gerber that could be flicked open into pliers one handed. Pretty nice to be able reach around to pocket or pouch and get that out while holding onto other work. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for one in local store to coonfinger myself.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I have a bunch of SAKs and multi tools. But I find myself bringing this one to the job and camping: http://www.opticsplanet.com/gerber-gear-1471.html

It fits all your criteria and you can get three of them for the money you want to spend. The size (it's big enough to get a comfy grip on but not so big it feels like a brick in your hand) and the locking feature are what keep me reaching for it. Now, mine is an older model, but if the reviews there are correct, the quality of the new ones is on par.
Denis

Post by Denis »

I believe Hesco (the gabion people) used to give away an excellent multitool to valued customers - I don't know who actually made it, but perhaps a Hesco-branded one could be found online?
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

Lokidude wrote:Gerber MP400 Sport hits everything but the saw, and is tough as hell. I love mine. You might even be able to pick up its big brother the MP600 on your budget. My dad has one of those and loves it too.
Gerber Diesel Stainless

I have a 400 Compact Sport and its a great tool.

The Diesel has all the stuff you asked for and hits your price point as a new tool. :)
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Yup, I don't like giving a penny to Leatherman. Sometimes they are the only game in town. Has Gerber's quality improved any in the past few years. The last couple that I handled were a little rough around the edges, but that was awhile ago.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Not saying they are trash, just that the ones I handled (and they were used so possibly abused) seemed to have that nice GI .45 rattly but functional feel to them.

I also don't think Leatherman is the best, I did choose the swisstool over any of the Leatherman offerings. I just really wish that Gerber's version of the Skeletool (Crucial?) seemed as nice.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

No complaints about my Gerber. I did break the very tip of the phillips bit off in a rusty screw, but noted that it didn't strip, and given the amount of force I was putting on it, I am pretty sure a regular driver would have done the same. I have pretty much despised every Leatherman I have had to use, even before I learned the owner is a commie.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

the ability to easily deploy the pliers one handed,

Yeah, that's not a bug. That's a feature.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I didn't find the ability to deploy the pliers one-handed in the Gerber as easy as doing it one-handed with a Wave, but I didn't spend much time with it.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D