Friend's brother made a knife

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Greg

Re: Friend's brother made a knife

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote:I'd always thought that the whole point of Damascus steel was to incorporate the properties of two different types of steel into one blade?
I believe the whole point of 'Damascus' (as currently labeled and marketed) steel is to look cool.

Damascus (without the scale quotes) is no longer made as nobody knows precisely what it was, when you consider both composition and the processes used to create it. The secret is at the bottom of a very deep rabbit hole, and you hit your head and get knocked senseless by things like 'wootz' on the way down.

If you want properties of two different steels in one blade, you could differentially harden... or there are laminated steels out there. Falkniven likes to use it, IIRC.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

I'm no expert on metallurgy but I don't think cables are usually made from stainless. It's lacking a bit over normal steels in ductility and definitely cost. If there is a corrosion issue then it can be galv plated or just covered in grease.

Knife makers simply burn off the grease from cables by pre-heating them in the forge. The residue is dealt with by fluxing ( a laundry product, called 20 Mule Team borax - you Yanks do like to give stupid names to things :D )
In the EUSSR borax as a laundry product is verboten because it kills all the dolphins and polar bears or some such eco-fascist bullshit myth.
You can still buy it, but only in tiny little bags that cost lots of money. A bit like cocaine I suppose. I do have an ammo box full of it ( borax, not coke )
Gas welding\brazing flux works as well, but that's even more expensive.

If the cable is galvanised you can burn that off, but the fumes are toxic. Not deadly but you wouldn't want to make a career out of breathing the stuff in.

I've got a friend here who repairs Caterpillar equipment. He owes me a favour because I managed to find him a Spanish\English technical dictionary ( Caterpillar apparently don't offer a Spanish version of their manuals, or Jose can't find one ) - I'd guess he can get me some wire rope, he's definitely got an anvil for me, which I should go around and pick up.

But it's kind of pointless until I can get an outdoor workshop built.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

20 mule team Borax? Didn't you grow up watching "Death Valley Days?"
Chinese laborers working for a company called the Harmony Borax Works broke down pinnacles of rock salt with sledgehammers to make a road for the mule teams to cross the rugged region called the Devil’s Golf Course. The wagons would proceed down the east side of Death Valley, past the oasis of Greenland Ranch, which was to become famous later on as Furnace Creek Ranch, then on across the valley floor along a primitive road.

The heyday of the Harmony operation was from 1883 to 1888. During those years, the teams ran like clockwork, completing the 330-mile round trip between the Harmony Borax Works and the railhead in about 20 days, despite the difficult terrain. One team loaded and left the works every four days.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Consider me edumacated....thanks for that
Do my dog house song
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

When the SIL was first starting in knife-making, he mentioned how expensive flux was, and The Darlin' Daughter, who is a metalurgist, looked up what was involved, and hied herself down to the local grocery emporium, returning with an industrial-sized box of 20-Mule-Team Borax.

SIL has been making knives for 10 years, and he's only on his second box.

If you need some, give us a shout, we can probably scare some up!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Taking a quick look around on the net, borax appears to be pretty easily available stateside, at some groceries, hardware stores, and online, including on ebay. Might you have import problems via ebay or such, HS?

I remember the 20 Mule Team Borax shows when I was a kid, and when Ronald Reagan (pbuh) was the host.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

My dad used to use borax to cure salmon eggs for bait.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

And here I just used it to wash my hands.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Darrell wrote:Taking a quick look around on the net, borax appears to be pretty easily available stateside, at some groceries, hardware stores, and online, including on ebay. Might you have import problems via ebay or such, HS?

I remember the 20 Mule Team Borax shows when I was a kid, and when Ronald Reagan (pbuh) was the host.
I can get it, but it's advertised and priced as a flux, I'm counting my blessings that it's available at all.
So many blacksmithing\knifemaking tools don't exist here ( or in the UK either ) and have to be improvised or made.
Do my dog house song
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

What would it cost to ship a five-pound box from the U.S. to Spain? Could always label it "welding flux" if the detergent police have problems with it.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom