Toadstickers

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Darrell
Good Christ I Need A Life

Toadstickers

Postby Darrell » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:34 pm

I ran across this Kershaw 1074 Camp Knife at Amazon, couldn't pass it up. Has an 18" blade:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BNPV1O0/ref ... _ST1_dp_i1

Should come in handy for cutting brush, kindling and taking on the undead if and when they show up. I've seen the price vary from $37 or so to $44. The link above presently shows it going for $42.52 with free shipping. It has a nice heft, but is not heavy. Comes with a nice sheath too. Has a nice edge right from the factory.
Last edited by Darrell on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

rightisright
Active Shooter

Re: Toadsticker

Postby rightisright » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:50 am

Interesting. Just yesterday I was out clearing some small branches from the line-of-sight coming out of my driveway. My trusty Ka-Bar Kukri http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-2-1249-9-K ... -bar+kukri worked rather well.

I could have used a battery saw-zall or my Echo 16" chainsaw. But I thought the glorious vision of a large bald man smoking a fat stogie and wielding a small sword would go over better in suburban NJ ;-)

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:25 am

rightisright wrote:Interesting. Just yesterday I was out clearing some small branches from the line-of-sight coming out of my driveway. My trusty Ka-Bar Kukri http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-2-1249-9-K ... -bar+kukri worked rather well.

I could have used a battery saw-zall or my Echo 16" chainsaw. But I thought the glorious vision of a large bald man smoking a fat stogie and wielding a small sword would go over better in suburban NJ ;-)

Hehehehe. I know the very day my khuk showed up in the mail I was out there hacking away, chopping off pine branches. It lost a little bit of the effect, because where I was only one neighbor can see me and we're pretty friendly he already knows I'm crazy but harmless. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Cobar
Trigger Junkie

Postby Cobar » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:04 am

It is rather satisfying to hack up plants with a large blade, isn't it?

I would say the sight makes my neighbors think I am crazy, but I am pretty sure they have figured out I am not quite normal by now.

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:22 pm

rightisright wrote:Interesting. Just yesterday I was out clearing some small branches from the line-of-sight coming out of my driveway. My trusty Ka-Bar Kukri http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-2-1249-9-K ... -bar+kukri worked rather well.

It would have been even better if you were wearing a kilt.

PawPaw
Active Shooter

Postby PawPaw » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Greg wrote:Hehehehe. I know the very day my khuk showed up in the mail I was out there hacking away, chopping off pine branches. It lost a little bit of the effect, because where I was only one neighbor can see me and we're pretty friendly he already knows I'm crazy but harmless. :)

There's your problem right there! You've taught him that you're harmless. I always want my neighbors to believe that I'm rather docile, but potentially lethal. I work hard at maintaining that image.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

rightisright
Active Shooter

Postby rightisright » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:31 pm

MarkD wrote:

It would have been even better if you were wearing a kilt.

The glare from my pasty legs would have surely caused a pile-up.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:08 pm

PawPaw wrote:
Greg wrote:Hehehehe. I know the very day my khuk showed up in the mail I was out there hacking away, chopping off pine branches. It lost a little bit of the effect, because where I was only one neighbor can see me and we're pretty friendly he already knows I'm crazy but harmless. :)

There's your problem right there! You've taught him that you're harmless. I always want my neighbors to believe that I'm rather docile, but potentially lethal. I work hard at maintaining that image.

Depends on the neighbor. This one fellow is very nice, chatty, and a fine upstanding local businessman.

With some other neighbors, your approach is better. But the last neighbors like that we had (a nurse, nice enough lady but her deadbeat loser brother lived with her, and her choices in boyfriends weren't much better) moved away, and good riddance.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:57 pm

I'm changing the thread title to plural, because I have more to show. Here are a few pics of my latest metalworking project. I've had this blade, the basic shape, floating around in my toolbox for six or seven years. I decided to finish it, so here you go. The scales are 1/4" aluminum (we're very picked over on materials, hence the Al). I fit the scales to the blade, and did all shaping on a 12" disc sander, plus a 1" belt sander, with a lot of handfiling and sanding to boot. I used steel wool to polish it, though some work remains to be done. The blade is 4 1/2" along its midline, overall length is about 8 1/2". The grip fits my hand very well--the idea is that the pad of the thumb rests in the top curve just behind the blade, with the heel of the grip fitting into the crease of the palm. Though the aluminum is rather slick, it is very secure in my hand.

When I took pics early this morning, the sun really brought out every remaining blemish. It looks much better in person. ;)
kershawandmyblade 009sm.jpg

kershawandmyblade 013sm.jpg

kershawandmyblade 015sm.jpg

kershawandmyblade 017sm.jpg

I did a quick and dirty hardening using a torch and a water quench, then tempering to color. I sharpened the edge using the new Work Sharp mentioned in another thread. I'm rather pleased with how it turned out, I suppose I'd give it a B for grade.

I also took a few pics of the new Kershaw machete:
kershawandmyblade 001sm.jpg

kershawandmyblade 004sm.jpg

kershawandmyblade 006sm.jpg

I just received a new Mora as well, I'll try to get pics of it too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Aglifter
Probably Unemployed

Re: Toadstickers

Postby Aglifter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:17 pm

That Kershaw has a very familiar shape...

Isn't in some manner of old sword shape... Something related to a falcon...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:09 pm

I think that's why I bought it instead of the 14", reminds me of a falcata, though I hadn't really verbalized it as such.

As promised, here are a few more blades. First, the new Mora, 8.1" stainless blade:
Moreblades 019sm.jpg

The Mora Bushcraft Black. I love this knife, thicker blade:
Moreblades 020sm.jpg

A Fairbairn Sykes dagger, blade is a hair under 7". I had a helluva a time getting it to take an edge.
Moreblades 023sm.jpg

Another toadsticker, a bowie with 8 5/8" blade, 14" OAL. This was a freebie when I bought the Legacy '92 Puma .357 years ago, stainless, made in China:
Moreblades 024sm.jpg

Moreblades 025sm.jpg

Last is one you've seen before, the 12" blade bowie I made of A2 steel about seven years ago. 18" OAL. The grip is stacked leather washers. I put a lot of handwork into the guard, rather proud of it. Never have gotten it hardened and tempered. Needs a little more work:
Moreblades 026sm.jpg

Moreblades 027sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Precision
Active Shooter

Postby Precision » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:17 am

PawPaw wrote:

My neighbors are not quite sure what to make of me. Camo and guns going out hunting. NICE linen or wool suit going out to a fundraiser. Mowing the yard with my G-22 on my hip OC in a non-OC (mostly) state. Telling the neighbor whose dog snapped at me in my own back yard, that his dog will be shot and sold to the Chinese restaurant next time it enters my yard.

Yes, I too work quite a bit at keeping the neighbors questioning how tightly I am wrapped. Moving to 100 acres plus can not happen soon enough.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:50 am

That Fairburn should not have more of an edge than it came with.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:28 pm

CombatController wrote:That Fairburn should not have more of an edge than it came with.

Yeah, I wondered about that... it had no real edge to speak of when I got it. I supposed it's meant for stabbing pesky German soldiers in the neck or such. It's even stabbier now, though. :lol:
Eppur si muove--Galileo

PawPaw
Active Shooter

Postby PawPaw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:29 pm

CombatController wrote:That Fairburn should not have more of an edge than it came with.

My Fairbairn has edge all the way to the hilt, but it was carried across Europe during the unpleasantness of 44-45. I suspect it was sharpened several times before it came into my hands.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

Return to “Hack, Slash, and Strike”