The "tactical walking stick."

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Aglifter

Re: The "tactical walking stick."

Post by Aglifter »

Hmm....

So, ideally, a tungesten head, lathed off a larger stock, so a tang is left running down, through the shaft, to thread the tip on?

Pretty sure just stainless would be adequate - although I like the idea of Tungsten...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

The stick in your hand is better than the one left at the house. I've got a very small collection of walking canes simply because I like them, and they lend themselves to the decor of the house. I have one sword-cane simply because if you've got a collection of sticks, you've sorta-gotta have a sword cane. It's heavy and unwieldy and unlikely to be in my hand when I need it.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Here's what I had to say about my Cold Steel City Stick, but I don't see the optional Pistol Grip head being offered anymore. It was nice because it's not only a good, solid weight, but with the hook shape of the head, you can hook it on counter-tops, rails, edges, etc., etc.

Here's the rest of their walking sticks.

If you're looking to get something from Cold Steel, use the link above (ltspecpro.com) and NOT the ColdSteel.com site. The Cold Steel site is a contract site and ltspecpro is the actual company and you'll get a better price and more discounts going direct to the company.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

The first of my hockey sticks to snap will wind up being converted into such a thing. I've got an idea for a locking handle for walking, lanyard and weighted tip for personal-space preservation.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Thanks for that link, Mike.
I have several of their toys, but didn't know they'd come out with a boomerang, which just went on the IWannit list.
Painted in some suitiably artsy-fartsy bright acrylic paint livery, it should look innocuous and toy-like, until thrown. Kind of want to try it out for its original intended purpose vs. small game animals.

I can also recommend their torpedos if you need something that sticks in anything, including cinderblock and 5/4" plywood overhand at 10-12 yards.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aglifter wrote:lathed
"Lathed"?!Image

It's "turned", or "faced" depending on what axis you're referring to.

And except for some special grades of Tungsten($$$), It's generally too hard to cut with anything other than EDM.

And if you want something that looks less like a weapon, well there's always those "fighting canes" that look just like the canes your grandma uses...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

How about old-fashioned Irish Blackthorn? I have one, wouldn't want to get cracked with it.
Denis

Post by Denis »

MarkD wrote:How about old-fashioned Irish Blackthorn? I have one, wouldn't want to get cracked with it.
My grandfather had one for walking the dog. It's still in my parents' cupboard under the stairs. The leftover stubby thorns along the shaft are wicked, but pretty much preclude using it wrong-ended, with the grip/knob as the striking end.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Denis wrote:
MarkD wrote:How about old-fashioned Irish Blackthorn? I have one, wouldn't want to get cracked with it.
My grandfather had one for walking the dog. It's still in my parents' cupboard under the stairs. The leftover stubby thorns along the shaft are wicked, but pretty much preclude using it wrong-ended, with the grip/knob as the striking end.
Personally I think it's more useful holding the knobbed end. At least for mine, it gives a pretty sure grip, and you could also stab with the tip if swinging wasn't on the menu. Although I think the thorns are far enough apart that you could get a grip on the narrow end without sticking yourself.
Denis

Post by Denis »

MarkD wrote:Personally I think it's more useful holding the knobbed end ... I think the thorns are far enough apart that you could get a grip on the narrow end without sticking yourself.
I know nothing about fighting with clubs, but I always thought the idea of shillealigh and knobkerrie was that you use the knobbly end to strike, swinging and using the length to gain speed.