Is Your Mora Too Sharp? Update: Got My First Mora!

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Darrell
Good Christ I Need A Life

Is Your Mora Too Sharp? Update: Got My First Mora!

Postby Darrell » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Interesting article I ran across recently--you might be sharpening your Mora knife at the wrong angle:

http://www.bushcraftstuff.com/sharpenin ... too-sharp/
Last edited by Darrell on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Darrell

Re: Is Your Mora Too Sharp?

Postby Darrell » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Update--I got my first Mora knife, a Frosts carbon clipper, from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Frosts-Carbon-Cli ... mora+knife

I'm rather surprised at the sharpness of the knife--it certainly looks sharp, and when I try it against my thumbnail it shaves it easily, but I can run the pad of my thumb against it and it doesn't feel sharp at all. Nice little knife, though, everything considered. The sheath is cheap but functional, the knife locks into it.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Kommander
Active Shooter

Re: Is Your Mora Too Sharp? Update: Got My First Mora!

Postby Kommander » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:39 pm

My brother an I each got one of these from a local gun store when he was out here. I have not yet really put mine to the test but it seem to work well enough so far and should be a great knife for the price.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:01 pm

I'd be interested to hear how you guys like these in actual use. I'm thinking about getting a bunch and littering our vehicles and 3-day bags with them.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Erik
Active Shooter

Postby Erik » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:26 pm

Weetabix wrote:I'd be interested to hear how you guys like these in actual use. I'm thinking about getting a bunch and littering our vehicles and 3-day bags with them.

They're used and abused like you wouldn't believe in Scandinavia. I don't know how many I have, I tend to buy new ones regularly and use them for anything and everything.

I've seen them used as prybars, can openers, paint stirrers, rust scrapers, screwdrivers, and still hold a usable (though far from good) edge. They're often used as a generic tools around here. Lots of people carry two of them, one they use as an actual knife and take good care of the edge, and one they abuse.

I have at least one that's (probably) older than I am. They were standard issue when I did my military service, I think the ones we were issued were made in the 1940's, and had seen extensive use since then.

I would have no problem relying on a Mora if my life depended on it. Truth be told, if I had to grab one knife to rely on in a SHTF situation, I would get a Mora. And it's not just me, people in Scandinavia that makes a living where they have to rely on the knife they carry use Mora. It wont let you down.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:58 am

Erik wrote:I would have no problem relying on a Mora if my life depended on it. Truth be told, if I had to grab one knife to rely on in a SHTF situation, I would get a Mora. And it's not just me, people in Scandinavia that makes a living where they have to rely on the knife they carry use Mora. It wont let you down.

I've also heard the same thing about several other knives, including the USMC Ka-Bar. I have a couple other similar knives made by Cold-Steel, but other than my heavy-use Kukri, I have been hard-pressed to find a similarly-performing knife, and that CERTAINLY includes taking ABUSE! I've chopped with it, used a hammer on it to drive both (at different times) the tip and the blade into wood, I've split wood with it, whittled with it, used it to open heavy-plastic-form-molded packages with it, etc., etc. It's a GREAT all-around knife, but not an every-day carrier (unless you're out near the front lines, or opening a lot of packages everyday).

Other than my Kukri, it's one of my favorite outdoor and heavy-use-indoor knives (my Kukri makes much quicker work of heavy items than my Ka-Bar), but my Ka-Bar is capable of finer work and since it's smaller than my Kukri, it's much more useful on a daily basis.

The Mora also looks like a damned-nice knife. So, in a sense, it pretty much boils down to personal preference at that point (and it appears the Mora is smaller than the Ka-Bar, so it's most likely more nimble, lighter, and easier to handle when working on delicate cuts, and if you want/need a lighter/smaller knife than a Ka-Bar, then it could very well be the ticket for YOUR specific needs AT THAT TIME).

I only wish I had one to evaluate to make my own opinions about the knife, so I could write about it too! :D :D ;) ;) :mrgreen:

Of course, YMMV!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad

Erik
Active Shooter

Postby Erik » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:43 am

308Mike wrote:The Mora also looks like a damned-nice knife. So, in a sense, it pretty much boils down to personal preference at that point (and it appears the Mora is smaller than the Ka-Bar, so it's most likely more nimble, lighter, and easier to handle when working on delicate cuts, and if you want/need a lighter/smaller knife than a Ka-Bar, then it could very well be the ticket for YOUR specific needs AT THAT TIME).

Pretty much. I'm not going to suggest that Mora is the best knife there is in any situation.
What I will say is that people have been using it to stay alive for over 100 years, and I honestly cant think of any person here that carries any other knife that wont also keep a Mora handy. That's a pretty strong testament to their use. The size makes it easy to work with and when you put it on your belt it's never in the way. I find that bigger knifes tend to tangle and get in the way when I move around, sit down, and do other things. So the bigger knifes I have usually end up in my pack and only taken out when I need it, while the Mora is always with me.

The small size makes it easier to work with for most of what you use a knife for. The exception is chopping, but if you're going to do that you're better off with an axe or a machete. You can still use a Mora for splitting wood if you need to. I honestly cant think of a situation where I couldn't do with a Mora what I could do with a slightly bigger blade.
And just to be clear, I'm talking about the classic Mora size here, they have a few bigger models like the Mora 2000, which I personally consider to be in the "bigger blade" category. I've had a few, but I think they're too cumbersome to use for most tasks where you need control.

But of course, in the end it's personal preference. There's lots of knifes around that will perform up and above the owners expectations. My main problem with the Mora is that they aren't very good looking, they are very utilitarian in style.
John Wayne

Denis

Postby Denis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:26 am

Weetabix wrote:I'm thinking about getting a bunch and littering our vehicles and 3-day bags with them.

I have done just that, and I don't regret it; I always have a servicable knife to hand. Cheap enough to buy plenty, you won't be upset if you lose one, and you can afford to lend them.

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:52 am

Erik wrote:
308Mike wrote:The Mora also looks like a damned-nice knife. So, in a sense, it pretty much boils down to personal preference at that point (and it appears the Mora is smaller than the Ka-Bar, so it's most likely more nimble, lighter, and easier to handle when working on delicate cuts, and if you want/need a lighter/smaller knife than a Ka-Bar, then it could very well be the ticket for YOUR specific needs AT THAT TIME).

Pretty much. I'm not going to suggest that Mora is the best knife there is in any situation.
What I will say is that people have been using it to stay alive for over 100 years, and I honestly cant think of any person here that carries any other knife that wont also keep a Mora handy. That's a pretty strong testament to their use. The size makes it easy to work with and when you put it on your belt it's never in the way. I find that bigger knifes tend to tangle and get in the way when I move around, sit down, and do other things. So the bigger knifes I have usually end up in my pack and only taken out when I need it, while the Mora is always with me.

The small size makes it easier to work with for most of what you use a knife for. The exception is chopping, but if you're going to do that you're better off with an axe or a machete. You can still use a Mora for splitting wood if you need to. I honestly cant think of a situation where I couldn't do with a Mora what I could do with a slightly bigger blade.
And just to be clear, I'm talking about the classic Mora size here, they have a few bigger models like the Mora 2000, which I personally consider to be in the "bigger blade" category. I've had a few, but I think they're too cumbersome to use for most tasks where you need control.

But of course, in the end it's personal preference. There's lots of knifes around that will perform up and above the owners expectations. My main problem with the Mora is that they aren't very good looking, they are very utilitarian in style.

I think you may have just sold me on trying to pick up a couple of them (one for the RV). Utilitarian I like, so I just may fall in love with these knives. :D :D :P

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:48 pm

My daughter was ordering a friend's book off Amazon last night, so I threw in one of these.

I already have a Cold Steel Finn Bear. Erik - is this a mora? I carry it in my backpack every day, and use it with some frequency. It's sharp, convenient, and nicely sized.

Erik
Active Shooter

Postby Erik » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Weetabix wrote:My daughter was ordering a friend's book off Amazon last night, so I threw in one of these.

That model is very popular among carpenters and handymen here. The only difference with a "classic" Mora is the handle, which is plastic and has a finger guard. The plastic look to it has people using it as a utility knife, but I think the blade itself is the same as in the other knifes Mora sells.

Weetabix wrote:I already have a Cold Steel Finn Bear. Erik - is this a mora? I carry it in my backpack every day, and use it with some frequency. It's sharp, convenient, and nicely sized.

No, it's not a Mora. Mora is a brandname, named after the town where it was first made. Mora also use the brand name Frosts, but that knife is a Cold Steel which is a US company. I guess it's a Cold Steel version of the traditional Scandinavian knife pattern, it looks a bit like Finnish and Saami knifes.
John Wayne

Erik
Active Shooter

Postby Erik » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:31 pm

Btw... Even though Mora knifes are very cheap, they seem to have a really good reputation even among skilled knife makers. I was kind of surprised by it, because as I said they are pretty much used as ordinary tools here, they're not something you show off with. (I know hunters that have expensive Saami knifes visible in their belts, but still keep a Mora hidden out of sight and use it for most tasks.)

I once met a knife maker in the US that was really impressed by the simplicity of how a Mora was made. I'm not a knife expert, but I recall him saying something like this: "I spend hours forging to get the perfect blade, and those Mora guys just slapped two pieces of carbon together with one piece of steel and got a knife that's as good quality as anything I can make for a fraction of the cost.."

I was once lurking in a knife forum, where there were guys that were real experts on knife making and high end quality knifes. A new guy came in and asked for advice on what knife to buy that he could really rely on, having a $100 budget. One of the experts on the forum simply said "just get 10 Moras, they'll last you a lifetime"
John Wayne

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Erik wrote:(I know hunters that have expensive Saami knifes visible in their belts, but still keep a Mora hidden out of sight and use it for most tasks.)

I've never understood that mindset

So I need to make sure that when I get one, it's actually made by Mora?

I have a Helle Harding knife that my wife bought me while in Norway. What do you think of those? It's pretty enough that I mostly use it as the clean knife for apples and cheese and such when I'm camping.

Erik
Active Shooter

Postby Erik » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Weetabix wrote:So I need to make sure that when I get one, it's actually made by Mora?

I have a Helle Harding knife that my wife bought me while in Norway. What do you think of those? It's pretty enough that I mostly use it as the clean knife for apples and cheese and such when I'm camping.

Yeah, if you want a genuine Mora, it should say Mora.

My very subjective opinion of Helle (as well as Brusletto) is that they're good quality knifes, a lot better looking than Moras, more expensive, but doesn't hold an edge quite as well as Mora does and needs more sharpening to stay sharp.
As a clean knife that is used for food or cleaning fish and game, I would have no problem carrying it, as a general utility knife I'd be a bit more careful with how I used it.

Main problem is that when I compare it to a cheap Mora it's hard for me to justify the extra cost, even though it's a lot better looking.
John Wayne

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Erik wrote:Main problem is that when I compare it to a cheap Mora it's hard for me to justify the extra cost, even though it's a lot better looking.

Yeah. She bought it as a souvenir/gift that worked out very well for me.

MiddleAgedKen
On a list somewhere

Postby MiddleAgedKen » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:37 pm

I have a Mora, got from Amazon after I broke the tip off my Schrade Old Timer. The Mora's a better knife (albeit non-folding), for less money.
Watergate didn't have a body count.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Denis wrote:
Weetabix wrote:I'm thinking about getting a bunch and littering our vehicles and 3-day bags with them.

I have done just that, and I don't regret it; I always have a servicable knife to hand. Cheap enough to buy plenty, you won't be upset if you lose one, and you can afford to lend them.

Hey I did that too. All of my kits have bright orange Mora 760's. And I gave my wife my 780 to use as a beater. She loves the knife, and the things she does to it.... if she were abusing a knife that cost me more than $14 that way I'd be upset.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:06 am

Greg wrote:Hey I did that too. All of my kits have bright orange Mora 760's. And I gave my wife my 780 to use as a beater. She loves the knife, and the things she does to it.... if she were abusing a knife that cost me more than $14 that way I'd be upset.

What, your knife isn't a pry bar too? Or pounding it into frozen meat with a tenderizing mallet? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:48 pm

308Mike wrote:
Greg wrote:Hey I did that too. All of my kits have bright orange Mora 760's. And I gave my wife my 780 to use as a beater. She loves the knife, and the things she does to it.... if she were abusing a knife that cost me more than $14 that way I'd be upset.

What, your knife isn't a pry bar too? Or pounding it into frozen meat with a tenderizing mallet? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, far more creative than that. She's an aerospace engineer after all.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:39 pm

Greg wrote:Oh, far more creative than that. She's an aerospace engineer after all.

Gah. Not another one!
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Erik
Active Shooter

Postby Erik » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:39 pm

Greg wrote:Oh, far more creative than that. She's an aerospace engineer after all.

Maybe we should start a list with "Things I've seen done with/to a Mora".
I'd start with:
* Used as a pry bar
* Opening paint cans
* Stirring paint
* Used as a can opener
* Paint remover (scraping paint off)
* Splitting wood
* Digging
* measuring lengths
* Used as a screwdriver
* Weedwhacker
* Throwing knife
* Hunting rats (don't ask, it wasn't pretty...)

And that's not counting the more normal things you'd do with a knife, like for instance:
* gutting, cleaning and fileting fish
* gutting, cleaning and skinning game
* Cut and wittle wood
* Preparing food and used as a food utensil
John Wayne

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:19 pm

I emailed the company for an ETA on my Mora, and they replied, "We were pretty hard hit by the hurricane. Perhaps you heard about it?"

I should get it in a few days.

Erik- Is there a Mora available off of Amazon or elsewhere that you think is THE classic Mora? Can you provide a link?

Erik
Active Shooter

Postby Erik » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:48 pm

I've heard Ragnar's Swedish Knifes is the place to buy Moras in the US. I never had any experience of him myself though.

If you want THE classic Mora, you want the Classic #1.
1.gif

It's on that page, and it says he charges $10 for it. But it doesn't have any finger guards, so maybe that's something you'd want to think twice about.

As an aside, I went by a lumber yard a few days ago and picked up one of these on my way out:
511.gif

Price was only $4.50, it's hard to not pick one up when you pass the counter. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Wayne

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:59 pm

That second one is the one I have coming. And I'm horrified to see that I paid double what you did for it. $9 for a reliable, good quality utility knife! Wait... that's still not horrifying... :)

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Erik wrote:I've heard Ragnar's Swedish Knifes is the place to buy Moras in the US. I never had any experience of him myself though.

If you want THE classic Mora, you want the Classic #1.
1.gif

It's on that page, and it says he charges $10 for it. But it doesn't have any finger guards, so maybe that's something you'd want to think twice about.

As an aside, I went by a lumber yard a few days ago and picked up one of these on my way out:
511.gif

Price was only $4.50, it's hard to not pick one up when you pass the counter. :mrgreen:

All my Mora's are from Ragnar. He's a good guy, pleasant to deal with and ships promptly. Oh and that last knife the 511, I don't like that guard but I have a Dremel- for that price I'd buy 3 or 4 at a time.

Denis

Postby Denis » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:28 pm

Erik wrote:
Weetabix wrote:
I have a Helle Harding knife ... that I mostly use it as the clean knife for apples and cheese and such when I'm camping.

My very subjective opinion of Helle (as well as Brusletto) ...
As a clean knife that is used for food or cleaning fish and game, I would have no problem carrying it, as a general utility knife I'd be a bit more careful with how I used it.

You can do a lot worse than a stainless Morakniv for "clean" use. (Don't have a picture handy, but will look for one) I use mine for both clean and dirty, but it's easy to get it from dirty to clean again. I do have the Helles and Brusletto's too. Nice, upmarket, but more expensive.

Erik wrote:
511.gif

Erik, I will be sending you a shopping list :-) I pay EUR 10 for the same knife at the tool shop here. Scary sharp carbon steel, and I like the dayglo handle.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:09 pm

My Mora got here today. I haven't used it yet, but it looks quite serviceable.

I'm not sure how to use the plastic sheath with any of my belts, and I don't have any of the buttons that Scandinavians use to hang their knives. It will probably end up in a glove box, but that's what I bought it for.

Erik
Active Shooter

Postby Erik » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:15 pm

Weetabix wrote:I'm not sure how to use the plastic sheath with any of my belts, and I don't have any of the buttons that Scandinavians use to hang their knives. It will probably end up in a glove box, but that's what I bought it for.

The sheath actually fits fine on a standard Scandinavian belt, they're 4cm (1.5inches) wide and fairly thin. I think Americans use wider belts, either 1 3/4 or 2inches?
John Wayne

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:51 pm

That must be it on the belt thing. Mostly I've been using it while working around the house and just shoving it in a back pocket or putting it in one of the slots on my tool belt.

I love this thing. More will be coming.

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:53 pm

I got to really use the knife for the first time, at work today. It made short work of cutting up some heavy leather belting, like a hot knife through butter. :)
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Dang, the Moras are like candy, I've bought several more since my first one. I wound up selling all the new ones to a coworker who runs a sharpening service on the side, and sells knives as well. LOL I wound up ordering yet another one, a new model:

http://www.scandia-international.com/bushcraft.html

It's the Bushcraft Black, featuring a 3.2 mm thick blade. I intend to keep this one.

Since my last post, I've used the Carbon Clipper a bunch at work. I used it to cut a 1/2" thick nomex blanket, which is very tough stuff. It took several passes, but did a great job. Also cut a thick rubber/composite conveyor belt for splicing, it made short work of that as well.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Denis

Postby Denis » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:50 pm

Darrell wrote:... the Bushcraft Black, featuring a 3.2 mm thick blade. I intend to keep this one.

Looks good. Well wear! I like the dayglo ones too - those have the great advantage of not turning into a blade of grass or a stone when you put them out of your hand for a second.

Return to “Hack, Slash, and Strike”