Tai Chi Chuan Fan

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
toad

Tai Chi Chuan Fan

Post by toad »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhAQPBdZ ... re=related

The fan has a long history as a self defense tool in Asia. The really nasty fans have steel ribs. Practice fans use wood. Bamboo or other woods properly prepared, can put on a hurt. It is not only a blunt instrument but also a cutting weapon. Most of the young practitioners are female. Older folks like it because it gives an edge to make up for loss of strength and speed and the forms are good exercise. The practice form vary quite a bit,anywhere from about 26 to 52 moves.
Windy Wilson

Re: Tai Chi Chuan Fan

Post by Windy Wilson »

I thought you were saying you were a tai Chi enthusiast.
Amazon sells a steel fan for $36 http://www.amazon.com/TMAS-Chinese-Iron ... B000MIBCQQ
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
toad

Post by toad »

I've been thinking about one with carbon fiber ribs or some polymer with glass inserts in the tips. Just a thought experiment.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

toad wrote:I've been thinking about one with carbon fiber ribs or some polymer with glass inserts in the tips. Just a thought experiment.
That would be similar to the self-defense umbrella, and would have the advantage of not looking like it was expressly weaponized if it goes through an X-ray machine.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
toad

Post by toad »

The limitation being that in the USA TSA and average security probably wouldn't pay much attention. I wouldn't try to get it through airport security carry on or on person in East Asia. Fans are more common but also knowledge of their use as weapons. :cry: