Musher sues knife maker

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Netpackrat

Musher sues knife maker

Post by Netpackrat »

Is knife, is sharp...

*Shakes head*

Dunno, I guess if he can show that the design of the lock mechanism is bad and caused it to fail, then he might have a case.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Re: Musher sues knife maker

Post by Weetabix »

How did he manage that? You pull with a gut hook.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

All I can figure is that the gut hook was on the back of the blade, and he was pulling with a backhand motion, and managed to somehow release the lock.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Active natural selection should have retired a large majority of the mushing community, but snowmachines and modern technology have saved more than required, too often.
I am surprised he didn't cut his leg off.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Netpackrat wrote:All I can figure is that the gut hook was on the back of the blade, and he was pulling with a backhand motion, and managed to somehow release the lock.
From the article:
Seavey's lawyer, Bill Ingaldson, said the knife the musher cut himself with suffers a serious design flaw: The lever or button used to release the locking blade is near the middle of the handle and can be depressed when the gut hook is used as intended. That frees the blade to close on the user's fingers, he said.
There was nothing wrong with the knife, they're just claiming that the release button is in the wrong place on that model. To me, that's like arguing that the classic Mora knives has a design flaw because they don't have a finger guard, so your fingers may slide down on the blade. Sure, it may not be the perfect and safest solution for you, but it's pretty obvious that's how it is when you buy it. If you buy a knife like that, then you need to use it properly. You don't stab violently with a Mora Classic #1 and then complain it was the knifes fault you cut yourself.
This guy shouldn't be allowed sharp objects if he doesn't get the concept of making sure his fingers are kept away from the sharp end.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne