Son found bayonet, what's it for?

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Rod

Son found bayonet, what's it for?

Post by Rod »

My son moved out of the house he was staying in in Tennessee. As they were cleaning it and getting rid of things, they found a Civil War era bayonet and the one pictured below. Any idea what rifle it belongs to?
IMG_0985.JPG
IMG_0985.JPG
He also found a couple of pounds of 25 year old black powder. Being a NOT so dumb kid, he called and said they didn't know if the powder had other powders mixed in so they wanted to destroy it. I gave him instructions to lay it out in a long line on a dirt road somewhere, put on goggles, long sleeve shirt, and gloves, then use a bbq grill lighter (a LONG one), and let it burn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
308Mike

Re: Son found bayonet, what's it for?

Post by 308Mike »

Rod wrote:My son moved out of the house he was staying in in Tennessee. As they were cleaning it and getting rid of things, they found a Civil War era bayonet and the one pictured below. Any idea what rifle it belongs to?

<SNIP>

He also found a couple of pounds of 25 year old black powder. Being a NOT so dumb kid, he called and said they didn't know if the powder had other powders mixed in so they wanted to destroy it. I gave him instructions to lay it out in a long line on a dirt road somewhere, put on goggles, long sleeve shirt, and gloves, then use a bbq grill lighter (a LONG one), and let it burn.
Make SURE someone videos it!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

not near as much fun as disposal methods involving toilet paper roll tubes and duct tape. :twisted: Still a good time though.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

It is for stabbing people.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Prior to Von Steuben's arrinval it was solely for use as a campfire cooking skewer and tent pegs.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Get a brick of crazy jacks and lay them along the line of powder...
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Rod

Post by Rod »

assholes! :evil: As soon as I posted it, I knew the answers I'd get. WHAT rifle is that bayonet for? Any idea?
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Rod wrote:assholes! :evil: As soon as I posted it, I knew the answers I'd get. WHAT rifle is that bayonet for? Any idea?
Probably a military rifle.
cu74

Post by cu74 »

Yogimus wrote:
Rod wrote:assholes! :evil: As soon as I posted it, I knew the answers I'd get. WHAT rifle is that bayonet for? Any idea?
Probably a military rifle.
Yogimus for the win... :lol: :lol: (You should know better Rod.)
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Looks like the one I used to have with my 96 Swede.

http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/swed1914.htm