Knife suggestion and a pukko (puuko?) vendor

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Knife suggestion and a pukko (puuko?) vendor

Postby Rich Jordan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:04 pm

A friend is going to Alaska for a wilderness camp/hike (with a guide) this coming spring. They're putting together their kit, and the guide wants them to have a camp/utility knife (each) in the 4" blade range.

Most of what I'm familiar with for that task (as described) is 5.5 - 7".

Intended usage would be opening food packages, smoothing branches (trimming off smaller branches/twigs), possibly stripping bark, and 'whatever else' comes up. Its not a hunting expedition so no skinning or cleaning expected (and if there was it would be the guide's to do) but they might be doing ersatz shelter constructon too.

Also since a Pukko (Puuko?) knife has come up before here and elsewhere with a sterling rep for utility, any recommendations for a vendor? The last place I bought one 10 years ago no longer carries them.

Whichever ones they narrow the choice down to (or I aim them at) will still get referred to the guide just to be safe. I don't want them feeling bad about the purchase if the guide thinks their cold steel camp knife (or whatever) is a POS even if its really adequate.

Trying to keep the budget under $100 apiece if possible. Lower better since it leaves more for the other necessities.

rightisright
Active Shooter

Re: Knife suggestion and a pukko (puuko?) vendor

Postby rightisright » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:54 pm

No need to spend anywhere near $100.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Swedish-Mil-M ... 092&sr=8-2

I have two of these. One is on permanent kitchen duty as a paring/small utility knife. The other I keep in my Jeep. Razor sharp out of the package and it's very easy to maintain the edge.

One caveat. It isn't stainless.

If that is important, I can't personally recommend these because I've never held one, but they get great reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Mora-Sweden-Craft ... 092&sr=8-3

Bullspit
Loose Cannon

Postby Bullspit » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:40 pm

If their guide is knowledgeable and they show up with a Mora knife (like suggested above) he/she will nod approvingly and suspect that your friends know what they are doing.
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen

Erik
Active Shooter

Postby Erik » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:26 am

A Mora will never fail you. As an all around utility knife, it's pretty much ideal.
Personally I dont like the stainless blades, I prefer the carbon or laminated blades. I think that once you loose the edge on the stainless it's very hard to get it back, but not so with the other blades.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne

rightisright
Active Shooter

Postby rightisright » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:35 am

I think that once you loose the edge on the stainless it's very hard to get it back, but not so with the other blades.

I can't speak for the stainless. But the carbon blades on mine are very easy to sharpen. I'm mediocore w. whetstones. I usually sharpen my knives with an electric Chefs Choice 120 (which I love). But the Scandinavian grind on the Moras make hand sharpening very easy. Which is a bonus when you are in the field and not supremely skilled w. a stone.

Bullspit
Loose Cannon

Postby Bullspit » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:07 am

The only complaint I have ever heard about a Mora is that the blade is thin. While it is true that the blades are thinner than is the current fashion, a knife really isn't a pry bar!

As for sharpening, I have become a fan of convex edges. A leather strop with some compound keeps the edge sharp with just a few strokes every time you use it. Rarely is a full sharpening in order.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:31 pm

Buck Folding Hunter 110 or equivalent. If that's not good enough for the guide, they are some sort of snob and/or rambo wannabe type. There's very little that you need a "camp" knife for, that a regular pocket knife will not handle. In Alaska or anywhere else.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Cold Steel makes the Roach Belly from 4116 Krupp stainless, which holds an edge better than 420 or 440 S/S.
EDT has one, that I gave her as a general purpose sheath knife, and she reports that her boyfriend borrowed it a few weeks ago to skin and dress a deer. She said he was favorably impressed with it.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

rightisright
Active Shooter

Postby rightisright » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:05 am

That's a nifty looking knife, Termite. I just ordered one from Amazon for $12 and change. I'm going to compare it to my Moras.

P.S. Who is EDT? Elder Daughter the Third? :-)

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:07 am

Thanks all.

NPR, I expect they'll be getting fixed blades based on the guide's recommendation. Maybe its just because they're simpler; I haven't spoken with the guide, just my friend. I have a couple of older 110s though and I do like them a lot.

You don't need the super uber wunder pal-machete-kukri-mongo hacker for camping in Alaska? Damn... that was going to be my excuse for buying one ;)

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:09 pm

I keep a small hatchet and folding saw in my daypack for stuff the knife can't handle. For hunting, I like a nice medium fixed blade like the Cold Steel Master Hunter or Russell Green River "Camp" knife, but that's mostly to keep the nooks and crannies of a folder from getting nasty when dressing an animal. Otherwise there is no reason why the 110 can't be used to clean a deer, etc, and plenty have including mine.

Don't get me wrong, as a tool freak I like a big honking blades as much as the next guy, but just because they're cool doesn't mean that you need one, or even that it's a practical tool.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

SeekHer
On a list somewhere

Postby SeekHer » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Try Ragnar's Ragweed Forge for all your Scandi needs.

I like and collect puukko knives from Helle, Kellam, Marttiini, Roselli, Kauhavan, Brusletto and a few others.

Fallkniven has a couple of new ones out that I've yet to handle but really want to.

Entrek USA also has a lovely Woodsmen on a Scandi grind.

Erik, Mora in the higher price category of $45 to $60 are nice knives for outdoor use the ones for $10 are designed for woodworking and woodcarving not outdoor skills...I have a copy of the Swedish Army Knife that Mora produced and it's not bad but I'll still take a Helle or Kellam over it for $10 to $25 more.

The Cold Steel Roach Belly is a piece of Chi-Comm crap.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!

Erik
Active Shooter

Postby Erik » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:54 pm

SeekHer wrote:Erik, Mora in the higher price category of $45 to $60 are nice knives for outdoor use the ones for $10 are designed for woodworking and woodcarving not outdoor skills...I have a copy of the Swedish Army Knife that Mora produced and it's not bad but I'll still take a Helle or Kellam over it for $10 to $25 more.

I have to disagree. The "classic Mora" with the red birch handle is $10 on Ragnars site, and that's the classic knife for outdoors use in Scandinavia. It's been used as outdoors and general purpose knife in Scandinavia for decades, and it's the knife they issued to all swedish soldiers when doing their service. Some people carry a second knife specifically for fielddressing game, but that's generally because they like a dedicated knife for that purpose.
The #40 ($29) is popularly called the "scout knife", it's usually used by kids because it's considered safer with the finger guard.

The knives they sell specifically for woodworking look basically the same, but have shorter blades, 2-2.5 inches or so.

I'm not sure what the "Swedish army knife" is. The "classic Mora" is the one that was issued last I heard, but since those were really old it's possible they switched to a more modern version.

You might prefer another knife and consider it better suitable for your conditions, but given all the people over the years that have relied on a "classic Mora" as their only outdoors knife, and even depended on it to keep them alive, I really cant agree that it's not suited for outdoor use.
John Wayne

SeekHer
On a list somewhere

Postby SeekHer » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:23 pm

This is the knife I was thinking about:
It’s called the Sissipuukko M95 but it’s the Finnish Army knife.

This was the knife I was referring to: the Mora M40 Pilot’s Survival knife that was replaced by the Fallkniven S1 in 1985 or so.
Fallkniven has their F1 and S1 entrenched in the Swedish military system.

This was Mora’s entry in the last knife tests and what I meant by higher priced knives:

I don't know if they have different models for Europe and North America as I've never cared for their line except for the carving set I had of theirs...They, the longer 3" to 4" blades with the Red handles were flimsy, dulled quickly--yes they sharpened quickly and had terrible ergonomics...I've never skinned an animal with one, they'd probably work fine but I/we have used them in the kitchen to slice vegetables and they would probably work as a camp knife but I just don't trust the Red knives with their thin blades, poor handles and fast dulling steel.

Lots of guys on the survival boards say, "Why buy one $100 knife when you can buy eight Moras to carry with you in case you lose or break one?" I've never lost a knife, even when going down rapids without a canoe, and I've never broken one since I don't use them for non-intended purposes.

If you want a brute of a knife, that can do some prying then look into the Becker BK2 Campanion or the Ontario Quartermaster's Knife.

I, also, completely forgot about Grohmann Knives…Great Canadian maker with lovely, inexpensive knives that Cold Steel, Bark River and various other makers have copied…I wore a Model 2 Bird & Trout for an everyday carry knife under my suit jacket when I wad working in an office or on the road selling for over twenty years…The Model 1 has been housed at the New York Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) since it was designed in the 1950s
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Erik
Active Shooter

Postby Erik » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:59 pm

I've heard that Fallkniven has a lot of knifes sold to the Swedish Army, but that's exclusively to pilots and elite forces. I imagine that any soldier doing UN service somewhere also gets them, but as far as I know the regular conscripts still gets an ordinary Mora. The reason is the cost of course, if you have lots of conscripts you'd rather give each a $10 knife than one for $200. If they want something else, they have to buy it themselves.

I do agree with the bad ergonomics, I've never been very comfortable using the classic Mora, and would prefer a handle that was more ergonomic. Unfortunately most of those knifes have plastic handles and stainless blades, and I'm not very fond of either.
A lot of handymen, carpenters, painters, electricians, etc carry it as an all purpose knife, and those knifes take a lot of abuse. It's used as a prybar, to open lids, split wood, etc. "Flimsy" is not a word I personally would use to describe it, but I do agree that the blade is smaller and more slender than a lot of other knives, and that doesn't suit everyone. (It's another reason hunters generally carry a second knife, the narrow blade makes it harder than it has to be to field dress and skin game. Not impossible, but harder.)

The green knife seems to take over more and more around here as the new favorite outdoors knife these days, I see it for sale everywhere. I've carried it, but I never really liked it. The stainless blade is really hard to sharpen once it's dulled, and the blade is often too big and wide for me. I use knives for fishing a lot and a smaller blade suits me better personally. But that's personal preference, I wouldn't be uncomfortable having it as my only knife on a camping trip.
John Wayne

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:29 pm

rightisright wrote:P.S. Who is EDT? Elder Daughter the Third? :-)

Eldest daughter termite.
Last edited by Termite on Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

SeekHer
On a list somewhere

Postby SeekHer » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Erik -- you should get yourself a classic Rapala filleting knife..I've probably got 30 with the tip broken off (due to our error not the knife's) in the kitchen drawer that we use for paring knives...Great, inexpensive, with good grips, especially the plastic handled ones that do their job very well...Stiff enough to break ribs from the spine yet supple enough for you to slice under those ribs to give you a lovely fillet.

At the lodge, we use 10" and 12" ham slicers for filleting and have a dozen or so in the fish (Cleaning) house--one dulls, you set it aside and just grab another...After you've cleaned all the fish you stick the dulled one in the bucket and once we get six or seven in there we sharpen the lot of them at once.

Lots of companies make filleting knives--CRKT, Buck, Gerber, Cold Steel etc...Mora makes one with a Sandvik SS blade and roughened Polypropeen handle that's almost identical to the Rapala.

The Mora Bushcraft line has a 104mm Triflex steel blade model that is a laminate and not stainless that has gotten good reviews...Their Companion and Neverlost editions sell here quite well and seem to be a lot better then the "Reds"!

I thought that the Swedish Army, for regular conscripts, didn't supply knives (I don't mean bayonets) just like most other armies do...I was led to believe by some Swedish neighbours that they had to buy them themselves in the PX...These are older gentlemen and maybe when they were drafted it was so...Yes, Fallkniven has taken over the military knives since the mid 1980s and they are IMO a far stronger--just compare the spines--knife with far superior materials and ergonomics but with a higher cost as well.

I made this up for another forum:
Some other commercial Scandi/Puukko makers:

Scandi Commercial Makers and Dealers
Finland
H. Roselli Oy
Iisakki Järvenpää Oy
Kauhavan Puukkopaja = Matti Koski
Kellam
Lapin Puukko
Marttiini
Passo Puukot
Puukkojunkkari
Puukkopaja Liukko
Rapala
WoodsKnife

Norway
Bruseletto
Helle
Knivsmed Strømeng

Sweden
EKA
Fallkniven
Ice Bear
Karesuando Kniven
Mora of Sweden
Kivikangas Oy

Scandi Dealers
Ragnar’s Ragweed Forge
Cloudberry Market
DEN - Hanghøi Knive
DEN - The good stuff shop
FIN - Puukkosivut
FIN - Lauri-tuotteet = Veikko Hakkarainen
NDL - Knife Heaven
SWE - Art and Knives from Maihkel Eklund
SWE - Knivkompaniet – Great guys, have been in their store many times
SWE - Stockholms Knivförening

Scandi Dealers – Kits & Supplies
FIN - Brisqa
FIN - Lahjapaja Puuhari
FIN - Laurin metalli Oy
GER - Wolf
SWE - Da Knives
SWE - Nordell
Thompson’s Scandinavian Knife Supply, LLC

Blogs
Virtuell Knivsamling
Antika Skandinaviska Knivar -- Antiques
LINKS - Nordic / Scandinavian knives

Erik
Active Shooter

Postby Erik » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:30 pm

SeekHer wrote:Erik -- you should get yourself a classic Rapala filleting knife..I've probably got 30 with the tip broken off (due to our error not the knife's) in the kitchen drawer that we use for paring knives...Great, inexpensive, with good grips, especially the plastic handled ones that do their job very well...Stiff enough to break ribs from the spine yet supple enough for you to slice under those ribs to give you a lovely fillet.

I have one. For filleting it's great, for general purpose not so much. I usually keep it in my bag if I intend to take any fish home. My general purpose knife is on my belt, and that can be used to anything from cutting bait, cutting fishing lines, clearing the odd brush, cutting up sealed bags and things like that.
SeekHer wrote:I thought that the Swedish Army, for regular conscripts, didn't supply knives (I don't mean bayonets) just like most other armies do...I was led to believe by some Swedish neighbours that they had to buy them themselves in the PX...These are older gentlemen and maybe when they were drafted it was so...Yes, Fallkniven has taken over the military knives since the mid 1980s and they are IMO a far stronger--just compare the spines--knife with far superior materials and ergonomics but with a higher cost as well.

Could be different time periods and/or units, but as far as I know Mora knifes have been issued to every recruit for decades. Though since the ones that are issued usually are so beat up, most recruits probably wouldn't call them "knifes", and would buy their own anyway. 8-)
Military regulations can be tight, and unless you are issued a knife I don't think you'd be allowed to carry one, at least not visible. It can vary between units though, but most commanding officers frown upon anything that would make a recruit stand out visually, whether it's a knife, different boots or a different way to button your coat. Elite forces generally have more freedom though.

I would be surprised if regular ("common") conscripts would get Fallkniven issued. They certainly weren't in the late 80s, and I haven't heard that that's changed. The cost alone is prohibiting, and conscripts are hard on equipment. Take the average city boy that has never been camping and might not be motivated to become a soldier, and they'll wear down things fast. But fewer people get called in these days, so maybe those kind of guys wont be there.
That selected units get issued Fallkniven doesn't surprise me though. I believe several of their knives were originally developed on request by the Army.
John Wayne

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:47 pm

Thanks for all the info and commentary. I don't know what he'll decide but I think I'm going to get a couple of Moras to try out. I've forwarded the information to him.

rightisright
Active Shooter

Postby rightisright » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:32 am

Got mine from Amazon a few days ago.

First impressions:

It's not Chi-Com, it's made in Taiwan.
The blade finish is a bit rough. There are a few vertical striations above the edge grind and a few very small bumps up toward the spine.
The edge is razor sharp. Shaved my arm hair w. little effort and made multiple thin, non-jagged slices through 20# paper.
The Codura sheath is simple and it will only fit a small belt (1 3/4" or smaller), but retains the knife pretty well.
I actually like the thumb serrations on the top of the blade. The grip is pretty economical albeit a tad small for my XXL hands.

I can't report on durability yet.

Will this knife win any beauty pageants? No.

But for $13, if the edge holds up well, it's a bargain. Time will tell.

SeekHer
On a list somewhere

Postby SeekHer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:13 am

rightisright wrote:

First impressions:

The blade finish is a bit rough. There are a few vertical striations above the edge grind and a few very small bumps up toward the spine.
The edge is razor sharp. Shaved my arm hair w. little effort and made multiple thin, non-jagged slices through 20# paper.
The Cordura sheath is simple and it will only fit a small belt (1 3/4" or smaller), but retains the knife pretty well.
I actually like the thumb serrations on the top of the blade. The grip is pretty economical albeit a tad small for my XXL hands.

Mea Culpa, then the switch is fairly recent as the ones I saw a couple of years ago in the store where labelled China and not Taiwan...Then again, Lynn has brought a lot of his blades back from Mainland China to Taiwan (where they were originally being made) in the last couple of years due to sagging sales on those models.

The Chi-Comm ones were crap...The Taiwan and Japan made blades for them have always been good to very good...The finish on these are obviousely were he is cutting back or you've got seconds...The thumb notches on the top are called "jimping".

At one point he had over 50% of his blades being Chi-Comm made and his more expensive models being made in Japan and only a very few in Taiwan and some machetes in South Africa and his sales slumped greatly...I know he did a change a couple of years ago just after Buck announced they were dropping a lot of but not all of their Chi-Comm made knives for Taiwan for the same reason--sagging sales...But I had read it was only going to be Cold Steel's mid price range ($60 to $120) that was going to Taiwan and the cheap models staying in China.

I have a bunch of older Cold Steel blades and they are all good value for good quality...I don't knowingly buy Chi-Comm anything for political and labour issues not product quality...When over half the product line was being made there I didn't need the aggravation of looking through all the boxes to see if they were stamped China or Taiwan or Japan as a lot (most) of the Chi-Comms were not stamped on the ricasso only the shipping box when I could be buying a USA or German etc. made knife for the same price and usually better quality then their Japanese models.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:28 am

Well my coworker bought a Gerber; don't know the model yet but he says it has a serrated or saw back.

I went ahead and bought a Mora carbon steel service model when I had another order to place at Amazon. It arrived today. I like it quite a bit, though the blade had a noticeable curl on the edge; a steel wouldn't touch it but after cleaning it up on the Lansky it has a very nice sharp edge on it. Surprisingly nice for $15.00

slowpoke
Trigger Junkie

Postby slowpoke » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:18 am

SeekHer wrote:
rightisright wrote:

First impressions:

The Cordura sheath is simple and it will only fit a small belt (1 3/4" or smaller), but retains the knife pretty well.

Mea Culpa, then the switch is fairly recent as the ones I saw a couple of years ago in the store where labelled China and not Taiwan...Then again, Lynn has brought a lot of his blades back from Mainland China to Taiwan (where they were originally being made) in the last couple of years due to sagging sales on those models.

The Chi-Comm ones were crap...The Taiwan and Japan made blades for them have always been good to very good...The finish on these are obviousely were he is cutting back or you've got seconds...The thumb notches on the top are called "jimping".

At one point he had over 50% of his blades being Chi-Comm made and his more expensive models being made in Japan and only a very few in Taiwan and some machetes in South Africa and his sales slumped greatly...I know he did a change a couple of years ago just after Buck announced they were dropping a lot of but not all of their Chi-Comm made knives for Taiwan for the same reason--sagging sales...But I had read it was only going to be Cold Steel's mid price range ($60 to $120) that was going to Taiwan and the cheap models staying in China.

I have a bunch of older Cold Steel blades and they are all good value for good quality...I don't knowingly buy Chi-Comm anything for political and labour issues not product quality...When over half the product line was being made there I didn't need the aggravation of looking through all the boxes to see if they were stamped China or Taiwan or Japan as a lot (most) of the Chi-Comms were not stamped on the ricasso only the shipping box when I could be buying a USA or German etc. made knife for the same price and usually better quality then their Japanese models.

The only blades I've found worse than Chinese are the Pakistani's. Neither seem to care to use good steal. I will not buy a knife made in either. Not even for a dime. I bought a Gerber a couple years ago to replace a leatherman micra that had walked off. Only after it came out of the packaging could you see where it was made in china. I will never buy another Berber(or Fisker) again. I was pissed at how much a piece of crap it was and the trickery that you could not tell it was Chinese until you couldn't return it.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop

Denis
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Denis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:22 am

I visited a new-to-me gunshop in Germany over the holidays, and picked up a new-old-stock Pukko knife there. It looks pretty good, though not as nice as the Saami handcrafted ones I found in Norway a few years ago. Pictures when I get a tuit.

Denis

Postby Denis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:28 am

Erik wrote:The green knife seems to take over more and more around here as the new favorite outdoors knife these days, I see it for sale everywhere. I've carried it, but I never really liked it. The stainless blade is really hard to sharpen once it's dulled, and the blade is often too big and wide for me. I use knives for fishing a lot and a smaller blade suits me better personally. But that's personal preference, I wouldn't be uncomfortable having it as my only knife on a camping trip.

I have a couple of the green knives. They are certainly sharp and stay that way a long time - so much so that I haven't seriously attempted to sharpen one, other than honing the edge between uses. I find the blade a bit large for certain tasks, like dressing inside the carcass cavity of a small roe deer. I would like to see the same knife with a proper wide finger guard and in orange (the green one is too easily put down and lost).

Erik
Active Shooter

Postby Erik » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:16 pm

Denis wrote: I would like to see the same knife with a proper wide finger guard and in orange (the green one is too easily put down and lost).

Like this one?
http://www.outnet.se/never-lost/outdoor-knife.php:

EDIT by Mike adding knife image:

It does have the same handle form, but you'll have a hard time losing it.
John Wayne

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:49 am

Denis, I still have the Saami one you gave me a few years ago! I used it a while back for some whittling I had to do and it turned the trick nicely.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.

Denis

Postby Denis » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Erik wrote:It does have the same handle form, but you'll have a hard time losing it.

Indeed. I've seen those orange "green knives". Now all it needs is a decent finger guard, like the Mora boy-scout knife.

Denis

Postby Denis » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:34 pm

CombatController wrote:Denis, I still have the Saami one you gave me a few years ago! I used it a while back for some whittling I had to do and it turned the trick nicely.

Glad it's still working. I'm never sure with you and complex machinery...

Erik
Active Shooter

Postby Erik » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Denis wrote:
Erik wrote:It does have the same handle form, but you'll have a hard time losing it.

Indeed. I've seen those orange "green knives". Now all it needs is a decent finger guard, like the Mora boy-scout knife.

Yeah, I have to agree. As I've said before, the lack of a decent finger guard is my main problem with Moras...
John Wayne

Bullspit
Loose Cannon

Postby Bullspit » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:43 am

As long as the knife is well designed, I've gotten to the point where I prefer no guard. The one exception would be a knife I was planning to do a lot of stabbing with.

Denis

Postby Denis » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:22 am

Denis wrote:I visited a new-to-me gunshop in Germany over the holidays, and picked up a new-old-stock Pukko knife there. It looks pretty good, though not as nice as the Saami handcrafted ones I found in Norway a few years ago. Pictures when I get a tuit.

I got half a tuit...

My new knife is from Iisakki Järvenpää Oy. It's style number 5218 in that photo. 13cm blade, 24cm overall length.

deathrider1579

Postby deathrider1579 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:32 pm

I really like the Mora knives, I have about 5 of them and they have never failed to conquer the task I set them to, the edge has extreme durability and sharpens up easily with just a normal stone (this from a guy who can't use a stone on a normal pocket knife to save his life).

I also have one of those Marttiini knives which is as good or better (def. a better sheath) than the Moras and cost the same $10.

My box o knives has several $100+ knives in it from good manufacturers, probably the only expensive ones that get used and abused as much as the moras are the Becker BK7 and a couple Cold Steel knives all of which I tend to hesitate to use because they are more difficult to sharpen after I'm done with them. (I honestly don't see any use for anything other than a Scandi grind on a knife).

Anyhow my $0.02 is to get a couple Mora knives they are pretty stinkin awesome... the sheaths suck though.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Erik wrote:
Denis wrote:

Yeah, I have to agree. As I've said before, the lack of a decent finger guard is my main problem with Moras...

All my Moras are in the Craftsman series, I have a 740, a 780 and a bunch of 760's, in different colors. 2 of the 760's are that bright orange and they live in emergency kits. They have nicely shaped handles and finger guards- in fact IMO they have too much finger guard, they'd be better for food prep (and just as safe) with a smaller guard. One of these days I'll get a round tuit and trim down the guards.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

SeekHer
On a list somewhere

Postby SeekHer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:21 pm

CombatController wrote:Denis, I still have the Saami one you gave me a few years ago! I used it a while back for some whittling I had to do and it turned the trick nicely.

The one he sent me has done up about 18 caribou, 2 whitetails and a moose and other then touching it up with a steel in the field a few times I haven't sharpened it.

Denis

Postby Denis » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:54 pm

SeekHer wrote:

The one he sent me has done up about 18 caribou, 2 whitetails and a moose and other then touching it up with a steel in the field a few times I haven't sharpened it.

Glad it's holding up! I regret not buying more of those particular knives when I saw them. The little old Saami guy selling them looked like he knew his stuff; I think he was pleased that I had examined and rejected the tourist-trinket knife-shaped-objects on his stall - he took the "good" knives out from under the counter. If holidaying in Norway hadn't been so shockingly expensive, I would have bought a few more...

toad
On a list somewhere

Postby toad » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:31 am

I'm surprised you didn't have to take a few shots of Vodka with him before he sold you the good stuff :lol:

Denis

Postby Denis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:36 am

toad wrote:I'm surprised you didn't have to take a few shots of Vodka with him before he sold you the good stuff :lol:

If I can ever find him again, I'll buy the shots and a few more of those knives...

Return to “Hack, Slash, and Strike”