Benchmade 950 Rift initial impressions

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Aglifter

Benchmade 950 Rift initial impressions

Post by Aglifter »

Solid lock-up. I got the gray and black G10 scales, which seem to offer an excellent level of grip. I like the blade shape - doesn't look too "weapon" like, and short enough for SC.

I like the "axis" lock, it seems like it won't come open while working with it, and it seems to restrain the blade in position while closed - supposedly, to flick the knife open, you can pull back on the lock mechanism - I see no reason to flick knives open.

The handle is, almost, big enough for my hand. It would be, except for an odd "divot" which seems meant for a normal person's pinkie.

I'm not crazy about "tip up" carry. I suppose its safer, if it does come open in my pocket. It does have a much tighter clip than what I've see on any of my other knives, including my old benchmade. It is a bit thicker than my old Leopard, and it takes a bit of effort to slide it into my pants, since the scales drag on the pocket.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Denis

Re: Benchmade 950 Rift initial impressions

Post by Denis »

Linky for those, like me, who had to look it up.

Ag, what do you think of the blade's serrations? I'm not a big fan, and if I must have them, I'd like them to be at the tip end of the blade.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I actually ordered, from Knifeworks.com, w. a plain edge, but it came serrated, and I decided I didn't mind it. KW was the cheapest supplier, by a considerable margin, that I could find.

My Leopard had a similar serration, and it doesn't really bother me. As I don't plan on ever using it to skin an animal, I'm not really sure what else I would use that part of the belly for. The serrations do seem a bit longer on the rift, and I don't think they needed to be, but there's still plenty of plain blade to work with.

On my leopard, it was pretty useful to be able to loop over a cord, etc, catch it on the serration, and pull to pop through it - however, if you actually plan on cutting quite a bit of cordage, or modern cordage, then I would go w. a Boye Knife. I have a fully serrated, blunt tipped folder for sailing which I like. Very thin, very light, but not really big enough to do heavier work.

I will buy one of Boye's cosmetic second fixed knives at some point, to wear as an emergency rigging cutting tool for sailing.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

Denis

Post by Denis »

Aglifter wrote:...if you actually plan on cutting quite a bit of cordage, or modern cordage, then I would go w. a Boye Knife.
Wow! I like the look of those.
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Aglifter wrote: I'm not crazy about "tip up" carry. I suppose its safer, if it does come open in my pocket. It does have a much tighter clip than what I've see on any of my other knives, including my old benchmade. It is a bit thicker than my old Leopard, and it takes a bit of effort to slide it into my pants, since the scales drag on the pocket.
Denis' link specs the clip as reversible.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

It is between left and right, but not between tip up v. tip down.