Any thoughts on "kick boxing" as a light workout?

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Aglifter

Any thoughts on "kick boxing" as a light workout?

Post by Aglifter »

I've notice a number of under-25 males who "move like babies". (They flail around, as if they've never learned to use their bodies.)

From what I understand, olympic-style boxing is fairly safe, and the training methods seem to be geared toward a balanced development - maybe not enough in the posterior chains, but thats an easy fix.

Likewise, I don't think judo is particularly harmful. (I know Greco-Roman, at least in the higher levels, can be very damaging.)

They seem like sports well-suited to the small/thin, but which will develop them.

*I have a muay thai afficianado working for me now, and I've been thinking about having him show me how to work-out on a heavy bag, since I need to only do "light" workouts now, and lifitng light weights is really, really dull.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Mike OTDP

Re: Any thoughts on "kick boxing" as a light workout?

Post by Mike OTDP »

Karate is good. So is fencing.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

It's good cardio, but you have to make sure that you are moving explosively to really work out your muscles. Fast striking and retraction. The punches and kicks should be actively stopped by your own muscles, not by your joints or by the weight of the bag.
Nicodemus

Post by Nicodemus »

JAG2955 wrote:It's good cardio, but you have to make sure that you are moving explosively to really work out your muscles. Fast striking and retraction. The punches and kicks should be actively stopped by your own muscles, not by your joints or by the weight of the bag.
Heavy bag training is anarobic, it will get you in good condition in good time if you push yourself.

Take your co-worker up on the muay thai offer its a great competative art that is borrowed from on some level by every cross-over art. The body mechanics of thai style kicks, knees and elbows are superior which is why I steal them for my jkd concepts teaching.

Dont pull your punches on a bag you will do more harm to your body than you are avoiding via your upper back and shoulder muscles that can lead to bad knotting at the least and skeletal alignment issues at the worst.

Instead control the force in your strikes on the bag. You need a while and some good wraps/gloves to condition your wrists before you start getting over 50% power, sometimes less.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Wrists might be something I have to work around. My one doc described mine as "a bag of small rocks" and said there's very little left of them... But I'll see.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Nicodemus wrote:
JAG2955 wrote:It's good cardio, but you have to make sure that you are moving explosively to really work out your muscles. Fast striking and retraction. The punches and kicks should be actively stopped by your own muscles, not by your joints or by the weight of the bag.
Heavy bag training is anarobic, it will get you in good condition in good time if you push yourself.

Take your co-worker up on the muay thai offer its a great competative art that is borrowed from on some level by every cross-over art. The body mechanics of thai style kicks, knees and elbows are superior which is why I steal them for my jkd concepts teaching.

Dont pull your punches on a bag you will do more harm to your body than you are avoiding via your upper back and shoulder muscles that can lead to bad knotting at the least and skeletal alignment issues at the worst.

Instead control the force in your strikes on the bag. You need a while and some good wraps/gloves to condition your wrists before you start getting over 50% power, sometimes less.
Nic, just to be clear, I'm not trying to say that you should be pulling your punches on a bag, rather your punch should be a "snap"-out and back, avoiding the joint lock-out. Make sense?
Jered

Post by Jered »

I think we've jacked the politics forum.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Nicodemus

Post by Nicodemus »

JAG2955 wrote:
Nicodemus wrote:

Nic, just to be clear, I'm not trying to say that you should be pulling your punches on a bag, rather your punch should be a "snap"-out and back, avoiding the joint lock-out. Make sense?
Don't go to 100% extension at the elbow with straits? 100% agreed thanks for the clarification because this is absolutely correct. Keep the elbows at a few degrees bent on your pubches in all practices.