M1910/1917 Bolo Knife

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
JAG2955

M1910/1917 Bolo Knife

Post by JAG2955 »

Wife and I were in Wilmington today, and on the way back, we tried to stop at a health food store, which turned out to be closed. Next door was a pawn shop, which advertised as having guns. We walked inside to check it out. Mostly new shotguns, a Mosin-Nagant, and a bunch of Hi-Points. There were a few Silver Eagles, which I actually was looking for, but they were priced too high. I did see a Barber half dollar right at spot, so I bought that. Beneath that was a large, military looking knife. The guy told me that it was a 1910 Bolo knife that an old lady had on her mantle, and I wasn't sure if it was a repro or not. It was priced well, so we bought it. Did some research, and it looks like it's either a 1910 Bolo that lost its sheath catch, or one that had been re-arsenaled to 1917 specs. Anyways, it's something interesting that will go well with my WWI 1911. For $100, I was willing to make the gamble.

The date on the blade is 1910, and it's made by Springfield Armory. One grip is cracked, and the grip screws may or may not be correct. There are hex nuts retaining them, which I'm certain are wrong. I'll have to see if I can fix that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: M1910/1917 Bolo Knife

Post by Combat Controller »

Nice catch! My birthday is January the first.... :lol:
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Here's some amplifying information:

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_edged_weap ... s_bolo.php

And for your viewing pleasure, a few pictures are in this thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... 15664.html

I'm guessing that there is a reason to put it on their left side, unless they're all left handed. If I had a sidearm, I would put it on my left, or behind my pistol, but I don't know why a bunch of machine gunners would have them on their left. Thoughts?
randy

Post by randy »

JAG2955 wrote: I'm guessing that there is a reason to put it on their left side, unless they're all left handed. If I had a sidearm, I would put it on my left, or behind my pistol, but I don't know why a bunch of machine gunners would have them on their left. Thoughts?
I'm thinking they are considering it more of a utility tool than a weapon, therefore fast draw not a major consideration.

Also, notice the gunner has his canteen on his right rear, so it might be weight distribution as well, especially if he is wearing a sidearm on his right.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Those Bolo knives remind me of the knives that OSS agents were supposed to have carried for close-in fighting.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds