A falcata

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Jered

Re: A falcata

Post by Jered »

Kommander wrote:
Matthew Mayner wrote:Just get a Kukuri.
Damn you for tempting me with those!
Indeed.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Jericho941 wrote:
Matthew Mayner wrote:Just get a Kukuri.
That's only step one. Step two is filling jars with your own piss. Step 3 is throwing said jars at your enemies, calling it "Jarate."
Well at least Ive already got the hat.
Jered

Post by Jered »

I just scored one of the Sarco ones.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Dinochrome

Post by Dinochrome »

Jered wrote:I just scored one of the Sarco ones.
Ja, I bought one of those too. It looks good, fills a big hand, solidly-made, but comes unsharpened and the little
"skinning Knives" are crap. The side-knives aren't even worth sharpening and the "leather" sockets that hold them look
like black paper. Still, for $23, it's a good deal.

I've added it to my knife-display along with two African swords, a curly dagger from North Africa, a Masonic-style ritual
sword, and a couple of antique beaver-traps. The flash on my little (cheap) digital camera doesn't work inside.
"Fair is fair; If somebody tries to kill you, kill them right back."
Captain Malcolm of Serenity
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

Cold Steel makes a Kukri Machete "Magnum" that seems to share the same lines. It's cheap but they seem to make their products sturdy enough. I haven't really heavily tested the few items I have from them.
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

CombatController wrote:
Jered wrote:Some people have a rapier wit. I think I get the point though.
Dinochrome wrote:There is a company called "Museum Replicas, Inc." that has a battleworthy falcata for sale, brass grips and steel blade by
Windlass Steelcraft in India. I've bought several good swords and daggers from them.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-219-falcata.aspx $195 unsharpened, $213 sharpened

If you really want to fight zombies with a sword, I recommend the two-handed Scottish Claymore. (Where's the William Wallace smilie?!)
So they actually do have decent stuff? Sweet!
I used to buy their stuff back in the '80's. It was high quality real deal stuff then.
In the '80s and into the '90s Museum Replicas mostly carried Del Tin swords made in Italy with various German steels (Krupp, etc); I still have my catalogs from the time. Couldn't afford what I wanted. They also carried some American made items (by Chris Poor and others) as well as some hand forged swords by Johann Schmidberger (a beautiful Katzbalger and my favorite Austrian Masterpiece). At some point they started carrying Windlass Steelcrafts (India), and I heard that Windlass actually purchased Museum Replicas; after that nearly all of their weapons came from Windlass in India.

The last time I saw Windlass stuff was in 2001 at a convention prize table (quite a convention eh?); it looked decent, but comparing quality of craftsmanship to the Del Tin, Poor, or Schmidberger swords... not so good. That does not however mean I have any idea of the quality of metals or heat treating; they may be just fine.

I really love my Austrian Masterpiece (which I was finally able to afford ;)
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I still have the same cat gutter you do!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Evyl Robot

Post by Evyl Robot »

deathrider1579 wrote:
SoupOrMan wrote:But it's a wonderful phrase!
It means no worries for the rest of your slays!
Captain Wheelgun wrote:Is that a sword in your pocket or are you just gladius to see me?

Oh, and... :jacked:
Are you sure you aren't thinking of diphallic terata?
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

You guys are killing me.

ER did you get the email I sent you last week?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Evyl Robot

Post by Evyl Robot »

CombatController wrote:You guys are killing me.

ER did you get the email I sent you last week?
No, it appears that I did not. :? I'm really going to have to move that mail box from GoDaddy to Gmail.