New (to me) Recurve

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Matthew Mayner

New (to me) Recurve

Post by Matthew Mayner »

So I was in a local thrift store looking for a batting helmet for my kid. As I was walked by the "collectables" display case, where they usually have fine china, antiques etc I saw this sitting in there. (It was unstrung)
my-bow.JPG
I said "Huh, that's not what's usually in there." so I asked to take a look. The price tag said $30.00. I knew this wasn't some kids crappy bow this looked like a manly mans bow. As I looked at the serial number I saw the draw weight underneath it, 50 lbs. Manly indeed.

So I bought it.

She's a Bear Grizzly, the MSRP on a new one is $329.00

I think I did pretty good getting it for 1/10th the price. The bow has a couple of scuffs and dings but nothing major.

:D :D :D

All I have to do now is get a new bow string, some arrows and a target. :twisted:

So the bow is a 58" model, I have no idea how long of arrows I need. Will Cabelas help fit me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
First Shirt

Re: New (to me) Recurve

Post by First Shirt »

There are lots of simple ways to check draw length, but most of them require you to do it in person. One quick caveat, if you shoot it without sights (called bare bow, or instinctive) you will find you draw shorter than with sights. Easiest way to check your length is to hook a tape measure on the arrow shelf, and then pull the tape back to your anchor point. Add one inch, and there you are.

If you can't find a string locally, shoot me an email, and I'll make you one. I just finished making strings for my step-son and his wife, and my board is still set up for 58-inch bows.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

I have that same bow that I bought while I was in the Navy back in the early 70's. I don't recall how much I paid, but I'm sure it was more than $30! (But less than $300)
I never spent enough time with it to be more than a mediocre shot.
No one told me it takes practice! :shock:
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Matthew Mayner

Post by Matthew Mayner »

First Shirt, I appreciate the offer but I'm sure I'll be able to find one around here. We've got some Archery shops. Thanks though.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Dang. This guy has managed to go all Faire Ninja on us.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Matthew Mayner

Post by Matthew Mayner »

That guy looks ready to take on a whole company of Orks by himself! :lol:

I ended up getting some carbon arrows, target tips, a bow string, and a finger tab at Cabelas.

:-D It's great to get back into Archery after all these years. After shooting a few times I ended up being able to reliably get "minute of torso" at twenty paces. Those boxes never knew what hit them!