School me on selecting Arrows

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
blackeagle603

School me on selecting Arrows

Post by blackeagle603 »

During my yute-ful days with recurves and long bow we never paid any mind to all the variables in arrow selection discussed now: shaft material, grams, spine various fletching options. Of course we never had any concern with fletching interacting with hardware, rests and such on the bow. We just went to the Yardbirds store (long gone -- doomed by KMart and Walmart) and bought whatever arrows they had in the barrel in their sporting goods section.

So last winter I was given an old Browning compound circa 1990-95. Still haven't shot it but reckon I should get some arrows and see what it'll do. The lot's clear and level and I can get a backstop up any time now.

Using my fish scale it looks like it takes 52# to draw and then lets off to 28# to hold at full draw.

I did some google-fu reading on draw length and it's just right for me (29"). It's the whole business of arrow selection that made my eyes cross. I need to just settle my mind and dig in deeper but if there's a short course or tips on arrow selection from all ya'll it'd be appreciated.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Denis

Re: School me on selecting Arrows

Post by Denis »

Alas, I can't help you much. All I know about arrows is that the pointy end should face away from you... :oops:
Precision

Post by Precision »

A non-branded guide to general arrow selection process

http://www.huntingnet.com/staticpages/s ... aspx?id=15

How to pick within a brand
http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/shaft-selector?

or

http://www.goldtip.com/arrowcontent.aspx?page=chart

hope that is helpful
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Denis wrote:Alas, I can't help you much. All I know about arrows is that the pointy end should face away from you... :oops:
You say that like you learned a lesson the hard way.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Fivetoes wrote:
Denis wrote:Alas, I can't help you much. All I know about arrows is that the pointy end should face away from you... :oops:
Is there any other way to learn a lesson...? That reminds me of my school classmate who had to learn the hard way why the PE teacher forbade us from running to retrieve javelins. :shock:
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

1) You pay for performance. Expect heart attack prices for the latest bleeding edge graphite arrows.
2)You will mangle and lose arrows. Even when I did Archery regularly, I'd occasionally destroy one/lose it.
2)A good idea is to get an overdraw shelf. Shorter arrows are stiffer and lighter, and have a better effective range.
3)Easton Blues are 30 bucks a dozen. As are the Easton Jazz. Both are economy priced Target arrows
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Thanks for the links. I've got some reading to do.

HT,
Yeah, the price points on arrow already have me salivating about the possibility of building my own up. I see the Camofire deals on nocked arrows needing cut and fletched and I think "Oh goodie, another craft/reloading type activitity and tools to acquire." :lol:
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I shot an arrow into the air, it fell to Earth I know not where.

I lose more damn arrows that way.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I'd really like to help, but my hunting arrows (and some of my target arrows) are Douglas Fir, with turkey feather fletching. Probably not what you're looking for. (But they work GREAT from a 60# longbow!)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Denis wrote:
Fivetoes wrote:
Is there any other way to learn a lesson...? That reminds me of my school classmate who had to learn the hard way why the PE teacher forbade us from running to retrieve javelins. :shock:
"There are two kinds of people in the world--those who learn from other peoples' mistakes, and those other people." ;)
Eppur si muove--Galileo