the value of a crappy knife

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Denis

Re: the value of a crappy knife

Post by Denis »

Erik wrote:Then again maybe I'm strange for wanting it in the first place. But the Mora classic carbon blades are my favorite knife type pattern, sometimes I just wish I could have the knife a bit better looking.
Hmm. How difficult would it be to take one of the plastic-handled ones with exactly the blade you want and replace that handle with attractive wood?

How about you specify one to work from and I'll give it a go? It would be a project for my copious free time... satisfaction not guaranteed, however :-)
Erik

Post by Erik »

Denis wrote:
Erik wrote:Then again maybe I'm strange for wanting it in the first place. But the Mora classic carbon blades are my favorite knife type pattern, sometimes I just wish I could have the knife a bit better looking.
Hmm. How difficult would it be to take one of the plastic-handled ones with exactly the blade you want and replace that handle with attractive wood?

How about you specify one to work from and I'll give it a go? It would be a project for my copious free time... satisfaction not guaranteed, however :-)
For anyone reasonably skilled in knife handle making and leatherwork it probably wouldn't be that hard. Unfortunately that's not me. :?

But what I would like to have is the same blade they have in their classic No1, the 10cm carbon steel blade, with a handle that has some finger protection. Something like the Helle fjellkniven, a wooden handle (birch or masur birch) that's safe to use when it's cold, wet and slimy from cleaning fish or something else. And a nice looking leather sheet, also something like for that Helle.

I'm not even sure if they use that blade in any other knifes anymore, but I've seen the blade sold separately for under €5 online in stores that also sell material to make your own handle and sheet.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

C.C.--you can get Mora's cheaper in the USA then in Scnadanavia--horrendous VAT or any other name for the Value Added Taxes over there.

Ragnar's Ragweed Forge has one of the best Norse selections in N. America and his prices are damn cheap...I've bought many a blade from him, especially trying to finish off my Helle collection.

Yogimus-- Cheaper Than Dirt has their Rough Use knife ($9.97) that has gone through some torture tests and survived and has gotten some damn good reviews to boot.
Last edited by SeekHer on Fri May 20, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Greg

Post by Greg »

SeekHer wrote: Ragnar's Ragweed Forge has one of the best Norse selections in N. America and his prices are damn cheap...I've bought many a blade from him, especially trying to finish off my Helle collection.
And he's a nice guy to boot. All the Mora and Opinel knives I have came through him.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Greg wrote:
SeekHer wrote: Ragnar's Ragweed Forge has one of the best Norse selections in N. America and his prices are damn cheap...I've bought many a blade from him, especially trying to finish off my Helle collection.
And he's a nice guy to boot. All the Mora and Opinel knives I have came through him.
They're so cheep, I don't understand why my orders go to the hundreds of dollars.

Now to what you're looking for:
Mora
Classic Wood Handle
With guard:
from ragner...http://www.ragweedforge.com/classic-mor ... guards.jpg

Oh, red handle mora==carbon blade.
the stainless ones are usually blue.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop