wedding gift #1 WIP

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
gandalf23

wedding gift #1 WIP

Post by gandalf23 »

I'm getting married April 16th, and decided to make my groomsman's gifts, rather than just buy them something. I meant to start on them sooner, but am really just now starting :) I am cheating by not making the blades themselves, just the handles.

Here's the first one, so far, for my future brother-in-law:

I've just used my little 1x42 belt grinder on it and a 100 grit belt. All my 2x72 inch belts broke. Usually after about five seconds. I bought a bunch a few years ago and haven't really used them, and that annoys me that I wasted that money, but I should've been grinding on knives and not just had them hanging on the wall. I should get a few belts in this week and then I'll start working on the knife with the finer grits.

I'm thinking of adding that black spacer at the end to balance it out a little bit more. Everything forward of that last black spacer is epoxied together. The spacer and the buttcap and the nut are not epoxied on yet. Still trying to figure out what to do there.

The white material just after the guard is a fake pearl material. I don't remember what the wood is that I used in the middle. Maybe walnut? I may try teak next as I have a few pieces from a deck lying around.

Some more pictures are here.

I'm making another leather washer handled knife for my current brother-in-law. I think on his the wood and brass will be shifted one washer towards the front of the knife. I thought having the same amount of leather washers on each side would be better, but seeing it now I think not.

After the next leather washer knife comes a kukri, and then a folder. Still deciding what folder to assemble. Well, and instead of the kukri it might be a sword. Dunno. I have a couple of German made handle-less swords. The best man said he wanted a sword, but I know it'll bug his wife if I make him one. So really, I should assemble him a sword :)

ZeroGravitas

Re: wedding gift #1 WIP

Post by ZeroGravitas »

Ambitious. (Getting married plus hand-made gifts!)
I like the knife - has that classic look with leather handle and aluminium butt - more pics when it's finished. Kuk is going to be something!
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

Thanks!

Ambitious, yeah. There is a lot more to getting married than I expected. I thought I'd have nothing to do with the planning and execution of the wedding so I'd have plenty of time to work on the knives. Ha! Between the wedding and fixing up the house, and my actual 9-5 job, it actually makes it real nice to get away into the shop and work on something tangible :) I got the new belts in yesterday and Shanna is out of town till Saturday afternoon, so I think I'll get a lot of work done on them in the next few days.

Oh, and originally I was supposed to also make the cake server/cutter, too. It was going to be a sword! But that got vetoed pretty quick :( So last weekend I went estate sale shopping to find something to re-handle. I've been looking for a while but had not run across any cake/pie servers. It was funny, every sale I went to had a cake server and each was better than the last, so I ended up buying four or five (for like $1 each). The first place had a cake server and knife set (made in china) with snowman handles. I figured I could remove them and put something nice on in their place. The second place had a set from Amway with fake antler handles, which looked a lot nicer than the snowmen, so I got that. The next place had two mismatched, but silver-plated servers which looked pretty good, so I got them. The last sale, though, had a beautiful silver server with matching fork, and they both had pearl handles. So I got that and I'm not messing with them!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Gandalf, where did you get the Kukri blank from?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

Atlanta Cutlery

The one pictured is, I think, the "Traditional Bhojpure Kukri Blade". I also ordered a WWI blade, so it might be that one. One of the two I ordered, the one not pictured, has pretty big (1/8-1/4 inch) dents in the edge. I don't know what they tried to chop with it, but it didn't work out so well. I think I can grind them out, or I may keep it that way and stick it on the wall.
Evyl Robot

Post by Evyl Robot »

gandalf23 wrote:One of the two I ordered, the one not pictured, has pretty big (1/8-1/4 inch) dents in the edge. I don't know what they tried to chop with it, but it didn't work out so well.
If it was a Gurkha, it may have worked out just the way he intended. :shock: Atlanta Cutlery has some pretty good stuff. I've bought several blades from them over the years.
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

well, it turns out that my formerly 240v 2x72 grinder needs 23 amps when re-wired to 120, and I've only got a 20 amp circuit in the garage. :(

So I packed up and went over to my dad's and used his grinder.

I'm not happy with the butt of the knife, but I think I'm going to stop here and just go on to hand sanding with finer grits. I'm not going to try and reshape it anymore. Probably.

gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

epoxied knife #2 last night. It's for my current brother-in-law. He's been to Africa, so the wood is zebra wood. And he's a big coffee drinker, hence the coffee bean impregnated resin in the middle. Which is made with real coffee beans and not bits of plastic that look like beans as I thought. My whole house, car, and office now reek of coffee :)

(the pics are kinda crappy because I used my cell phone, sorry about that)

Also did some work on the scabbard for the sword. I routed then chiseled a piece of teak. Tonight I'll epoxy another piece on top and then tomorrow I'll run it through the thickness planer and the bandsaw to trim it down a bit then sand on it to shape. Hopefully it comes out ok. I think if it's a little loose I can glue a piece of leather inside to make the sword not rattle. I think I read that somewhere.

More pics. The circuit board pictured I think will become the handle for the pocketknife I'm doing. Still not sure what I'm doing for that knife though.
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

Well, knife #2 got a little bit too much material removed, and it ended up being waaay too thin in the handle, so I tore it apart and am starting over. On the plus side, it was a pain to remove the handle, so the epoxy is doing it's job :)

About to epoxy the scabbard for the sword now. Not sure if I should leave the sword in the scabbard so that the inside is not filled with epoxy, or leave it empty and just ram the sword in after it dries to break out any epoxy that leaks inside. If I leave the sword inside I suppose I should coat it with vasaline or something so it does not end up glued in place, huh?
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

Well pooh!

I got together all the stuff for knife #2, got everything drilled and filed to fit (and since I couldn't find any aluminium at midnight I used some nickel steel that was uber hard and spent probably an hour just getting the holes drilled in it and it filed to fit the tang) and epoxied and into the vise thing to smoosh it all together as it dried and...

apparently I left a little piece of dried epoxy in the vise thing and it got between the guard and the blade so that when everything dried it now has a small gap, about the width of a penny. :(

Unfortunately I did not discover this until after I had epoxied on the endcap. I don't think I can take it all apart again without destroying the endcap. And I don't have another one.

Sooooo....

Any ideas on what to do? Most of the guys at the office didn't even notice it, but I feel like I should do something to fill in that gap, but I have no idea what to do.