Knife WIP

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
ZeroGravitas

Re: Knife WIP

Post by ZeroGravitas »

Mike, I haven't forged any full tang knives, every one has been a through tang design. It's kind of traditional, as most full-tang blade makers use the stock removal method not forging. I do like the way a through tang balances, and to go full circle; making a forged, Loveless style tapered full tang is on the to-do list.

Bob, I do make the sheath too.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

How long did it take you to learn to make decent knives? How would someone go about getting started?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
ZeroGravitas

Post by ZeroGravitas »

Mike, Knives are simple things and it's really easy to get half-way decent at knifemaking. I have no issues about putting handles on a pre-made blade, I still do it all the time, and think it's a great way to start. Doing the guard and handle is more work than making the blade.

I'd get 2 books: How to Make Knives by Loveless and Barney, and The $50 Knife Shop by Wayne Goddard.
They have great how-to's and overviews. I don't think I could spend the time to cobble togehter the $50 version of the knife shop, but the concepts are all there. I heat treat a lot like Goddard does. If you're going to make blades, I think the $125 Sears 2" x 42" belt grinder is a great starter - the main negative is it runs FAST, so keeping the work cool is key, but a knifemaker's belt grinder needs another 0 in the price. Belts at McMaster-Carr. I use and recommend a $75 grinding jig from knifemaker Fred Rowe. http://bubblejig.com/ Leather work is easy and the tools aren't expensive - prolly why so many hippies made belts and stuff. ;)

Folks I buy stuff from:
Texas Knifemakers Supply (they have a heat-treat service too - HT'ing stainless isn't an at-home job)
Jantz Supply
Knifekits.com

I think forging is a lot of fun, but it's easy to spend $500 on a forge and an anvil.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Nice job, your son should appreciate it!
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

ZG,
Maybe look at getting a variable speed control in your belt grinder power loop?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

I'll second knifekits.com. Fast shipping, decent prices, and very good quality blades. I made a pair of fixed blades for Christmas this year, and have another fixed blade and a pair of folders on the bench.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
DwightG

Post by DwightG »

What's your heat treating procedure? I've got some new 1/4 x 2 5160 flat bar I bought years ago left over from a job. Might be fun to try my hand at this some day.

Nice looking work BTW.
ZeroGravitas

Post by ZeroGravitas »

Dwight - HT procedure:
Normalize to reduce stresses by heating to non-magnetic (= critical temp = ~1450 degrees) and let air cool
Harden by heating to critical temp, then edge first into a pre heated oil bath (~100 degrees)
Temper in a toaster oven 425 degrees for 30 minutes then air cool
DwightG

Post by DwightG »

Thanks, ZG. That's a lower tempering temperature than I would have guessed. Probably holds an edge pretty well. How are they for toughness (curious because of my occasional proclivity for confusing my knife for a crow bar). Have you ever had one Rockwell hardness tested?

Are you heating it in a forge?
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I have a Rockwell tester at my place in LA. If you ever want something tested and can part with it for a couple of weeks (shipping) I can test it for you. I also have industrial microscopes, x-ray diffraction equipment and let's not forget my cryo machines....
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.