Question about metalurgy

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Battleriflefan

Question about metalurgy

Post by Battleriflefan »

What would be the effect of Cyrogenically treating a forged blade, specifically, say a homemade sword blade. IIRC Kommander or someone was in the business, I can't remember exactly whom. If they answer, about how much would it cost?
Fill

Re: Question about metalurgy

Post by Fill »

cc is the guy to ask...
ZeroGravitas

Post by ZeroGravitas »

How was the blade heat-treated after forging?
IME, cryo is the final "icing" of the hardening.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I've heard that Cryo is supposed to improve edge retention. Downside is it also takes all the residual stress out of the blade, which can make it warp if it has a lot of it.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Depends on weight usually. You will get a couple more points of hardness as it will convert retained austinite to elemental martinsite while making it dimensionally more stable.

Further, your edge will last a whole heck of a lot longer. We have done some amazing tests. One day when I come up for air in the current cryo venture I will start another one dealing with edges. Right now springs and brakes have me all tied up.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.