opinions on Benchmade 551 Griptilian (Pardue?)

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
integral

opinions on Benchmade 551 Griptilian (Pardue?)

Post by integral »

Any thoughts on this knife? I'm thinking about buying this as my first nice pocket folder only I still don't know a ton about blades. I just started with American knife companies with good names and thought this one looked nice and indestructible for me.

Amazon has it for around $80-$90

Thanks

<edit>
Also, any thoughts on serrated vs not?
Darrell

Re: opinions on Benchmade 551 Griptilian (Pardue?)

Post by Darrell »

I had one, it's a very good knife. I wound up giving it to a nephew.

ETA: I had the regular blade, I'm not a fan of serrated.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I've got a Benchmade Mini-Ambush that I really like, even if it is a red-box Benchmade. They build a good knife at a good price. What's not to like?

Personal opinion, and worth every cent you paid for it, is that serrated edges last a long time, but when they're gone, they're "good and gone". I can maintain a straight edge forever, but a serrated edge takes specialized stuff to keep it running.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
integral

Post by integral »

Just realized I probably need to look up a ton of pointless NY state laws if I want to carry any kind of nice knife...
Termite

Post by Termite »

integral wrote:Just realized I probably need to look up a ton of pointless NY state laws if I want to carry any kind of nice knife...
Keep the blade under 3". Don't get an assisted opener.
Ask HTRN for other NYFC knife specific laws.

A Spyderco Delica would make you a good knife, for a reasonable price. Unless you plan to cut a lot of rope(I do in my job), get a plain blade, not serrated. Far easier to sharpen.
Check Ebay; you can often get a really good deal. Compare the prices against other knive sites, though. Here's one: http://www.newgraham.com I've bought several knives from them.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Slash

Post by Slash »

I have a 556 Mini Griptilian and I love it. Plain blade because I am also not a fan of serrated blades. As far as sharpening goes, Benchmade will sharpen it for you for $5.

I started out to buy a Spyderco and when I had just decided which one I wanted to buy, the guy behind the counter handed me the Benchmade knife. It was much smoother than the Spyderco and felt better in my hand. The Benchmade cost about $20 bucks more, but I was sold. Time has not changed my mind. The alloy scales never scratch even though I carry it daily with keys and/or coins. The Mini is small enough to be easily carried in the pocket of my Dockers, yet it is big enough to be useful.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Termite wrote:
integral wrote:Just realized I probably need to look up a ton of pointless NY state laws if I want to carry any kind of nice knife...
Keep the blade under 3". Don't get an assisted opener.
Ask HTRN for other NYFC knife specific laws.

A Spyderco Delica would make you a good knife, for a reasonable price. Unless you plan to cut a lot of rope(I do in my job), get a plain blade, not serrated. Far easier to sharpen.
Check Ebay; you can often get a really good deal. Compare the prices against other knive sites, though. Here's one: http://www.newgraham.com I've bought several knives from them.
Working on the water, I bought (and still have and carry) my Spyderco Mariner serrated-blade knife. I also bought and use my Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker, and I can get all my good serrated-blade knives ALMOST factory-new sharp (and I cut a LOT of rope of varying types to make mooring lines, tow lines, etc., including Samson Braid, polypro, kernmantle, hemp, manila, whipping line, etc.). The cheap serrated knives with divots instead of cutting surfaces between the serrations I don't even bother with.

If I didn't have a decent sharpener to keep my serrated blades good and sharp, I'd get a plain edge knife.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Termite

Post by Termite »

308Mike wrote:... and I can get all my good serrated-blade knives ALMOST factory-new sharp.
Good! My Spyderco serrated knives will be on the way to your house tomorrow, with $5 per knife to pay for sharpening and return shipping. :lol:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Termite wrote:
308Mike wrote:... and I can get all my good serrated-blade knives ALMOST factory-new sharp.
Good! My Spyderco serrated knives will be on the way to your house tomorrow, with $5 per knife to pay for sharpening and return shipping. :lol:
SEND 'EM, I could use the under-the-table work (although you need to up the price if you want return shipping, otherwise they'll be coming by mule train)!!!!

I can still shave the hair off my arm with my Spyderco Mariner, purchased in 1984/5, even after HUNDREDS of sharpening sessions. I consider that sharpener one of my best cost-benefit purchases of all time. Seriously. My mom keeps bugging me to keep sharpening her knives 'cause I've spoiled her with good edges.

BEWARE if you sharpen other's knives as a favor, they may NEVER leave you alone. :lol: :D ;)
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad