TACTICAL KNIFE MAKERS – CUSTOM

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
SeekHer

TACTICAL KNIFE MAKERS – CUSTOM

Post by SeekHer »

Last edited by SeekHer on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
jeremysa1

Re: TACTICAL KNIFE MAKERS – CUSTOM

Post by jeremysa1 »

Also check out Jay Fisher.com:

http://www.jayfisher.com

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but his knives look very cool, and he has a ton of info about what makes a good tactical knife.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Well I and many others would & do really consider him an Art Knife maker as as such have him listed in that database that is forthcoming...
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

padowser

Post by padowser »

Check out Grayman Knives http://www.graymanknives.com/

I just ordered a Dinka:

SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

He has some wicked design on his site but if that knife, pictured, was sent to me I'd send it back...The screw holes and lanyard hole are all screwed up, the handle has half the recesses rounded off and the others sharp, the handle where it meets the blade is rough and jagged and worst of all is the sharpening to the blade--it is wavy, not the same thickness and ends poorly...

Is the rest of his workmanship that good? He takes pride in displaying that for potential orders? Thanks, but I’ll pass…

padowser

Post by padowser »

Hi ya Seeker:

Here is a quote from Grayman's site:

"GRAYMAN knives are not designed for collectors, they are designed to be used. They might not be pretty, but they won't let you down."

Peace out.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

I have included 3 photos of knives…Top by Bob Dozier Arkansas Toothpick (My favourite custom maker) Middle a fighter by Bob Lum and Last the D & R Patton Cowboy Bowie in Damascus is only to show you what a proper sharpening line looks like…

The other two are of the exact same materials, made the same way (stock removal) and about the same price…Look at the bullseye that is done with two colours of Micarta in Bob Dozier's and look how both makers finish off their handles especially the pins on Lum's Fighter…

These are also working knives, designed by the makers for defensive purposes, to be used to cut open things and not for collectors, per se…

I am a collector and with the exception of true antiques all the knives are bought for a collectors aspect but they must be useable in the field as well…I collect “working” knives that I would use for skinning and gutting game animals or fillet knives for fish and all the ones I own, whether commercially made or from a custom house all have seen field work of some sort so I can evaluate the blades performance…

Just so that you know, all the hunting knives go hunting with me and I might use four or five to work on a deer or a moose but they're all used--bloodied so to speak! Then again, I dress more game in one year then you would in twenty--Whitetail, moose caribou, black bear maybe even seal and hundreds of fish so they get a fair workout...Trials, tribulations and lamentations of a lowly hunting/fishing guide...

I have a number of bowies and tomahawks, a few art knives and tactical blades but mostly working knives… I’m now starting to research and collect the Puuko style of knives from the Norse countries and a tactical blade form called “Chute” knives…I'm 72% fixed blade and 28% folders...For the commercial companies I have complete collections of CRKT, Camillus, SOG and Grohmann and a fair number of Fallkniven, Katz, Benchmark, Cold Steel, Buck and Gerber etc. and at least one knife from about 150 custom makers but favour Randall (12), Bob Dozier (9 with 5 on order), A.G. Russell (20) etc.

Maybe if I attended a Knife Show and saw his products first hand I would have a different opinion of them but by the only medium being the Internet and his site and with HIS posted pictures all I can say is that is some of the poorest workmanship I’ve ever seen advertised on a site by any maker that I have in my database and that is over 1,000 at present…

I said that he has some wicked designs...looked real good...I don’t know how functional as I’ve never handled one but regardless I want a knife that I have bought new to look as it is new and not as if I just spend a month in the bush with it before I do spend a month in the bush with it…let me put the dings, scrapes and scratches on it!