M9 Bayonet

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Denis

Re: M9 Bayonet

Post by Denis »

Darrell wrote:Denis or someone reported that the Swiss bayonets make great knives.
Shhhh! Now everybody will want one.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Wow, thanks, Denis! $19.95! I thought the Swiss bayonets were very expensive; maybe that's the K31's I had in mind. I ordered one. :)
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Denis

Post by Denis »

Darrell wrote:Wow, thanks, Denis! $19.95! I thought the Swiss bayonets were very expensive; maybe that's the K31's I had in mind. I ordered one. :)
Super! Well wear. You might find yourself ordering more, as you'll probably want at least a pristine
one, plus one to sharpen, plus one to make into a knife, plus one to modify the grip of, etc... etc...
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Got it delivered today, she's a beauty. About a toadsticker and a half, too! :)
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Denis

Post by Denis »

That was quick.

Well wear! You can always use it to toast marshmallows. Is it in good nick?
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Denis wrote:That was quick.

LOL Funny you should use that term--overall I'd call it good to very good, though there are a few minor nicks on the semi-sharpened edges. I'm not sure if I'll leave it alone or try to make a knife of it.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Denis

Post by Denis »

Darrell wrote:
Denis wrote:That was quick.

LOL Funny you should use that term--overall I'd call it good to very good, though there are a few minor nicks on the semi-sharpened edges. I'm not sure if I'll leave it alone or try to make a knife of it.
That was my subconscious talking! I've been through a few buckets of those StGw bayonets, and I found that about a third either has a damaged point, or a few chips/nicks out of the edges. Neither is more than a cosmetic problem, and the nicked ones are good candidates for putting a new edge on.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

gandalf23 wrote:Is it just me or do the M9 and the new Marines Ka-Bar bayonet a little backwards? Shouldn't the fingerguard/part-that-goes-over-the-muzzle be down where when you are using the bayonet as a fighting knife it protects your fingers? Rather than being up on top and protecting nothing, and letting your fingers, potentially, get sliced all to hell by your own damn knife?
Think about how you use a bayonet and what position you'd normally hold your rifle when using the pig-sticker, most likely in the "on-guard" position. Once you block you can immediately slash with the sharpened blade as opposed to try and either flip the rifle over or make an uppercut movement of questionable speed and power. After all, the primary purpose of the ring is to secure that portion of the knife against the barrel, not act as a finger/hand guard.

But I agree they could extend the lower finger guard a little more to better protect the fingers, especially if gloves might be involved.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad