Straight Razor

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
308Mike

Re: Straight Razor

Post by 308Mike »

Bob, I received your email and have responded to it.

I don't have specific knowledge of how much you'd have to sharpen the razor, but from the Classic Shaving site:
Even the best straight razors do become dull with use. Typically a razor requires resharpening from one to three times per year depending on use and beard type. Many users find doing their own sharpening to be as enjoyable as shaving with a straight razor. Others would prefer to leave the sharpening to someone else - An option that didn't really exist until now.
But several of the strop links say they'll keep the blade fresh and sharp and eliminate the need to carry a honing stone.

Perhaps Bob or SeekHer can answer the question with personal experience.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Bob K

Post by Bob K »

Believe it or not, the purpose of the leather strop is to align the electrons in the edge, thus making it smoother and sharper. Apparently there was some experimentation in the early 20th century that determined this.

Yes, periodically, razors need to be sharpened on a hone. And rarely, depending on how many razors you own, and how you rotate them, they may need to be reground.

For what it's worth, the 20+ years I shaved with a straight razor, and admittedly I had lots of them, I never had to have a razor reground. Favorites got honed on a razor stone every few years.

Personal situation: I have a very heavy beard and very tender skin. I always used two razors in the morning. Lather up, shave with the grain. Second razor, lather up, shave against the grain.

Shaving with a straight razor becomes an incredibly pleasant ritual. Right up there with morning coffee, the evening martini, a good pipe or cigar, and good whiskey.

Funny story. Many years ago, there was some big family dinner. Rather than going home after work (time constraints) I went to my folks to clean up and go with them. I thought I'd shave, and brought a razor. I'm happily shaving, when my Mother (may she Rest in Peace) called me. I went out to the kitchen. My Mother screamed. I jumped, and nicked my neck. Blood everywhere (no serious injury). Grabbed a paper towel to staunch the flow.

"Mother," says I, "Why did you scream?"

"You had a razor on your neck!"

"Of course I had a razor on my neck. I'm shaving!!"
"Youth and skill are no match for age and treachery." Unknown

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

"Oderint dum metuant." ("Let them hate, so long as they fear.") Accius
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

CByrneIV wrote:The wife just bought me a Muhle safety razor. It's a lovely piece of Germanic simplicity.
Take a look at Encure.net. They sell Derby blades for very cheap, and will sell in very large quantities(up to 2000 blades). If you want a quick recommendation on brushes and soaps, I suggest Vulfix(who makes alot of brushes for other people, who charge significantly more than they do for their own brandname), and Tablac(which has a good reputation).

If you want a really close shave - try the Feather blades, but be warned they're wicked sharp.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

My whiskers are not real close, nor densely packed, but have the consistency of thin copper wires (pretty tough and tend to eat blades).

Since I'm a Marine, I got tired of pounding them through my cheeks and biting them off from the insides (takes more time than just shaving) - but the Gillette Fusion blades have made me their bitch. Thankfully, I haven't tried their little battery-powered vibrating blades. I just LOVE how close those multiple blades shave (so does my wife).

Unfortunately, NONE of them last very long. And I've even tried the drying the blades between each shaving trick supposed to keep them sharp MUCH longer (even using air cans), but nothing seems to make them last very long. So, when I have the time, I'm looking for something to give me a close shave, something which I can help keep a good edge on for more shaves, and which will help me save money by having to buy fewer packs of blades from my bitch-master. :-(

Of course, saving money is ALWAYS a good thing 'cause it means more money for steak/beans and bullets. :-D

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

CByrneIV wrote:Christ... That's like a 40 year supply.
Actually, assuming you get three shaves from an edge, and shave every day.. 2000 will last 33 years. :lol:
By my current usage of shaving twice a week, it would last me till the 22nd century. :shock:
CByrneIV wrote:I was planning on buying the feather. I find the sharper the blade, the less razor bumps I get.
Multiblade razors are BAD for doing that - because they "pull" the hair out and cut it below the surface of the skin, alot of people get ingrown hairs from it. There's somebody on Amazon, btw, who's selling Feather Platinums by the 200 ct, for 80 bucks - at .40 cents a blade, that's among the lowest price per blade that I've seen them.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

308Mike wrote:My whiskers are not real close, nor densely packed, but have the consistency of thin copper wires (pretty tough and tend to eat blades).

Since I'm a Marine, I got tired of pounding them through my cheeks and biting them off from the insides (takes more time than just shaving) - but the Gillette Fusion blades have made me their bitch. Thankfully, I haven't tried their little battery-powered vibrating blades. I just LOVE how close those multiple blades shave (so does my wife).

Unfortunately, NONE of them last very long. And I've even tried the drying the blades between each shaving trick supposed to keep them sharp MUCH longer (even using air cans), but nothing seems to make them last very long. So, when I have the time, I'm looking for something to give me a close shave, something which I can help keep a good edge on for more shaves, and which will help me save money by having to buy fewer packs of blades from my bitch-master. :-(

Of course, saving money is ALWAYS a good thing 'cause it means more money for steak/beans and bullets. :-D
I read somewhere that keeping the razor immersed in some sort of light oil between uses extends the life of the blade.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

CombatController wrote:I'll ask Miss G&T as she is a barber now and ought to be able to help with that. Oddly enough they are now required to use disposable straight razors although some don't. The handle is the same but the blades pop in and out. $8 or so for one at Sally Beauty Supply.
CC, could you check with Miss G&T to see if it would be worthwhile for me to order some items from her, or if I should just go ahead with getting a few things from ClassicShaving.com 'cause their prices are close to what she can get. I need to get a strop to keep any razors I acquire nice and sharp, but I haven't decided if I want to get a hanging strop or (as I'm leaning towards, particularly if I want to use it in the RV) a paddle strop.

I was looking over ClassicShaving.com's list of three categories: Essentials, Nice to Haves, and Luxuries, and was wondering what changes people might make to the list regarding what you REALLY need and what you can reasonably do without.

They list the Essentials as:
  • Straight Razor
    Razor Strop
    Strop Paste
    Hone (I don't necessarily agree you need this when you get started)
    Styptic Pencil
    Patience
I imagine you could get by a couple of months before needing the Hone, unless you bang or ding the razor's edge.

Since I'm just getting started, any and all advice is welcome, particularly when it comes to picking out equipment as I'd prefer to learn from other's misadventures or mistakes than make the same ones myself.

Other than the razor (quite obvious), what else do I NEED, what's a decent price for the stuff, and what else would be recommended (almost need)?

TIA

Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Those $30 razors are $8 if you have a license. I'll ask her (should not be a problem) and get back to you.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Bob K was kind enough to send me one of his razors, but I'm going to need everything else to keep the whole production going. Of course, having a second razor on hand until I get something to sharpen and hone them would be much more preferable, which is why I'm looking at a paddle strop instead of a hanging one.

Bob K

Post by Bob K »

Mike,

In many ways paddle strops are easier to use, especially in cramped quarters. It's rather like sharpening a knife on a stone.

You mentioned the RV ... for Heaven's sake, don't try to strop while the vehicle is in motion.

DO NOT TRY TO SHAVE WHILE THE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION!!

Years ago I enjoyed traveling by train. Went into the men's john one morning, finally got a place at a sink, and started stropping a razor on a paddle strop. Suddenly, I was alone.

But after using one for years, except for trimming around the sideburns and mustache, I didn't even need a mirror.

Yes, the various dressings for strops are useful. Presuming you know how to maintain a knife, you'll know when you need them.

Keep it simple. Men have been using straight razors since they started shaving.

When in doubt, ask your barber, or give me a shout.

Have fun. Enjoy the ritual.
"Youth and skill are no match for age and treachery." Unknown

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

"Oderint dum metuant." ("Let them hate, so long as they fear.") Accius