Knife Sharpeners

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Aglifter

Re: Knife Sharpeners

Post by Aglifter »

So, to re-open a zombie thread... What would be recommended for keeping on a bench while butchering... (deer season is coming, so its time to start "decorating the tree" - yuppies hang ornaments on indoor pine tree, usually "up" by Halloween, we hang carcasses in an oak tree in the yard... :lol: )
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Denis

Post by Denis »

Aglifter wrote:So, to re-open a zombie thread... What would be recommended for keeping on a bench while butchering... (deer season is coming, so its time to start "decorating the tree" - yuppies hang ornaments on indoor pine tree, usually "up" by Halloween, we hang carcasses in an oak tree in the yard... :lol: )
I use a Boeker Vulkanus shapener. (Made by Vulkanus in Austria, distributed by Boeker) Get the nylon-framed one and screw it down to your bench, and you can even sharpen your knives one-handed. Don't get the aluminium-framed one (which is more expensive anyway), as you will knock the blade off the frame from time to time. Our chef's knives get wiped off after use, wiped through the Vulkanus once or twice, and then they go back in the block. If you have access to Ikea, they sell a rather good and quite cheap ceramic "steel" called "Flaksa" in the kitchen department. Drill a hole in the bench to hold it upright, and you can use it one-handed too.

Otherwise, get a bunch of these Mora knives lots more in this thread. I think Ragnar carries them. The carbon steel Clipper takes and holds a wicked edge, for skinning and butchering; just don't let blood dry on. They also do a hunters'/butcher's set, which includes a steel...
Evyl Robot

Post by Evyl Robot »

308Mike wrote:
Greg wrote:
308Mike wrote:That why you always warn them - "Careful, it's SHARP." :D
Hee hee, that just *guaranties* that their response will be "Really? <pause> Oh, SHIT. <spurt blood>"
Thus so educated, they LEARN. :lol:
One of my first interactions with my father in law went something like this. I showed him my old Boker four-blade folder and warned him that it was sharp. Apparently, he didn't believe me. He was so embarrassed! :lol:
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Made sticky.

I think we ought to put a more prominent link to our wiki too....
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
morsetaper

Post by morsetaper »

HTRN wrote:Anybody know of a source for black arkansas stones that don't cost an arm and a leg? Ideally a bigger stone?
HTRN
Everbuddy knows a good rock don't come cheap, but try this:

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/n ... stones.htm

For knives, I've never found a need for anything more than the synthetic stones in the multistone. I have a Tormek, but use it exclusively to grind a dead straight edge on chisels and plane irons. Nothing else. But if you feel a need for the absolute, ultimate edge, try japanese waterstones-King brand is good, or these:

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/Q!0000000.htm
morsetaper

Post by morsetaper »

Aglifter wrote:So, to re-open a zombie thread... What would be recommended for keeping on a bench while butchering... (deer season is coming, so its time to start "decorating the tree" - yuppies hang ornaments on indoor pine tree, usually "up" by Halloween, we hang carcasses in an oak tree in the yard... :lol: )
Norton Multistone. It's standard shop equipment in grocery store meat departments. They are kinda' spendy for rocks, but they'll handle any blade you are likely to throw at 'em, and with care, will last forever.

Actually, if you care for your knives, you won't often have to go to the stone. A couple of trade "secrets":
1) Get a good steel and learn how to use it, it's your best friend. My choice is F. Dick-no jokes please :shock: .

2) Don't wash a knife with hot water-lukewarm at best. Hot water will turn an edge in a split second.

I only have to put a knife to stone three, maybe four times per year. Drives the rookies nuts.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

CombatController wrote:Made sticky.

You mean something like one of the links up by the FAQ; Search; Members; and User Control Panel?

I've always felt it rather cumbersome to have to go all the way out to the root of the site to find a link to the Wiki, unless you had already made a direct local link (Favorites or Bookmarks) yourself.

Can we get one added to the menu items identified above, or perhaps on the Board/Forum Index?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

308Mike wrote:
CombatController wrote:Made sticky.

You mean something like one of the links up by the FAQ; Search; Members; and User Control Panel?

I've always felt it rather cumbersome to have to go all the way out to the root of the site to find a link to the Wiki, unless you had already made a direct local link (Favorites or Bookmarks) yourself.

Can we get one added to the menu items identified above, or perhaps on the Board/Forum Index?
Yup, we ought to. Lots of users don't even know we have one I think.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

I edited some of the original posting by adding some extra companies and a link for shaving supplies
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I've been using the Lansky setup with the clamp and the guide rods for probably 15 years, and it works pretty well for me.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop