Knife Sharpeners

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
HTRN

Re: Knife Sharpeners

Post by HTRN »

Honestly, I don't know, but running it with little tension is what I get from the photos.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

My guess is, that you have to run it with the tensioner disengaged, otherwise it won't fit.

It looks easy enough to duplicate out of a chunk of 2x4, just grind to shape.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

308Mike wrote:I really like my Spyderco ceramic triangle sharpeners. I keep my knives razor sharp (whenever I can). Since my wife got used to having sharp knives around (she grew up with dull knives), she's gotten spoiled and so when we go out to eat, we *almost* take a couple of our own knives with us - just because we hate having to deal with restaurant "sharp" knives.

A sharp knife is a safe knife.
I like my Sharpmaker too. I also grew up with dull knives, and am very much enjoying learning to use, appreciate and maintain sharp knives. One thing- a strop is a great addition, too. I've run into some situations where there were burrs I just *could* not eliminate, except with a strop.

One caveat about that "sharp knive is a safe knife" thing- paradoxically a sharp knife is only safer if you know what you're doing. Dull knives let silly people get away with bad habits that a sharp knife will, um, bloodily train them out of. (Lending a sharp knife to someone who's never used a sharp knife before- and therefore has lots of stupid habits- can be a disaster.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Greg wrote:
308Mike wrote:One caveat about that "sharp knive is a safe knife" thing- paradoxically a sharp knife is only safer if you know what you're doing. Dull knives let silly people get away with bad habits that a sharp knife will, um, bloodily train them out of. (Lending a sharp knife to someone who's never used a sharp knife before- and therefore has lots of stupid habits- can be a disaster.)
That why you always warn them - "Careful, it's SHARP." :D
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Greg

Post by Greg »

308Mike wrote:That why you always warn them - "Careful, it's SHARP." :D
Hee hee, that just *guaranties* that their response will be "Really? <pause> Oh, SHIT. <spurt blood>"
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Greg wrote:
308Mike wrote:That why you always warn them - "Careful, it's SHARP." :D
Hee hee, that just *guaranties* that their response will be "Really? <pause> Oh, SHIT. <spurt blood>"
Thus so educated, they LEARN. :lol:
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

I learned on a free whetstone, and still use one in the woods. Dad has a Spyder, and I'm pretty good with it, but my sharpener of choice is a Lansky. I've sharpened everything from a 9" hunter to two-blade broadheads with it.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
neanderpundit

Post by neanderpundit »

We do a lot of robotic polishing/sanding on belts, and "slack" is never actually "Slack". There's always tension, but the tension is adjustable by spring or air pressure. We commonly use balance regulators and air cylinders to keep the belts at proper tension. In other words, one roller is on an air cylinder whose pressure is set to, say, five pounds. If you push in on the belt, the cylinder pressure goes up a bit, the regulator valve releases a bit of air, and the belt develops some slack. Back off, the pressure goes down, the regulator allows some air in so the presure increases. I have a dozen or so of these in the field I built myself, but there's also a lot of similar stuff from places like Pushcorp and kalamazoo. They usually have replaceable teflon belt guides which help deal with alignment.

You can just soften the spring on a regular belt sander as well. You'd be surprised how much tension a belt will take. Hell, mine is homemade with a flat side and a slack side which I just turn over when I need to.

For some fun, order some Trizact belts from 3m. They appear to be miraculous in their efficiency.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Anybody know of a source for black arkansas stones that don't cost an arm and a leg? Ideally a bigger stone?

<EDIT> hmm, this is about the cheapest I've found, but it makes me suspicious, as it's half the price of everybody else - is it "Surgical black" or is it "Arkansas that happens to be black"?</EDIT>

HTRN

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

AG Russell had some nice ones a coupla years ago, but I practically fell out of the chair at the price. Dan'swhetstones.com gets almost $150 for a 10 inch..

I lucked out when I got my bench stones from SMKW - they were having a clearance sale, and mine had "visual" defects - Ten bucks each, and they work pretty good.

HTRN