February east coast group shoot / gathering

Announcements for your geographic region, or province.
Precision

Re: a nascent idea for a east coast group shoot / gathering

Post by Precision »

JAG2955 wrote:It looks like about a 7 hour drive for me. I'd really like to come. Can we plan it to be over a traditional 3-day weekend so I'll be allowed to drive the distance (Presidents' day)?
That's a thought.

I don't really care what the date is. We just need to figure one out where the most people can attend. President's day weekend might be good.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Thoughts from Rumpshot.

Pick a date. Work the date. Make it a 2 or 3 day weekend that YOU can do. The others will follow. Camping is good. Builds comeraderie. Food is good. (Wait, God is Great, Beer is good, People are crazy.) The more shooting options the better.

JUST DO IT!!!

Watch CC, he will expect every one in tails and ties.

ETA: NoR shirts optional, but recommended.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Precision

Post by Precision »

President's Day Weekend it is. Feb 14-17 2010
I will get up there Friday evening most likely around 10-11PM. Everyone else is welcome then or Saturday morning.

I thought that being Valentine's Day weekend, we should avoid that, but seeing as it is the long weekend and wives, girlfriends and everyone else is invited. Why not.

I am going up to the site this weekend and will be spending quite a few weekends up there during deer season. My goal this weekend is to fix the backstop on the 200 yd range and hopefully set up a secondary short distance pistol range.

Site location
-- Mapquest Oliver, Ga and you are within about 5 miles as the crow flies.
From Oliver, drive north west on 17 to Cameron Rd (mile marker 10)
Turn right on Cameron (a dirt road) you will see a "T" intersection sign about 300 yds before the turn.
Follow that about 1/2 mile to Twisting Pine Rd (another dirt road) Turn Right (if you hit pavement again, you went too far)
Follow Twisting Pine about a mile-- you will drive past the end of a cow pasture on the right then about 300 yds after that you will see a while entry gate on the right followed by a white entry gate on the left. The gate on the left is your entry point.
Follow that road (also dirt) and you will cross our camper area. Its the 12 acre mowed lot with 5+ campers on it

I will post signs at each intersection starting at 17 and Cameron Rd

NOTICE -- mapquest calls Twisting Pine Rd -- Thompson Rd for some reason.

Where to sleep:
Paid --
there are various hotels in Statesboro - 25 miles, Motels in Sylvania -10 miles
Free--
If you want to bring a camper or a tent, that works, we have a couple of sites with septic set ups and we have generator / pump driven water (non-potable) in a 250 gallon container. I will fill it up prior to the event.

There is an enclosed aluminum carport with a few tables to use as shaded area and for communal dining.
We have a smoker and rumor is we are adding additional cooking items this year.

Bonfires are normal nightly activities
Trash is burned on site or hauled up the road to the county drop off location.

The property is about 1600 contiguous acres and has a 169 acre parcel about 7 miles away. Most of the property is timber company pine. A small portion is cut over and some of it is pine / hardwood bottom. This is in VERY RURAL Georgia and no one is going to care if we blast away with whatever you want to bring. We've done it before.

FYI
Sprint cell coverage is spotty
ATT works on MOST of the property
Verizon is pretty good as well
Not sure about other providers
When it gets closer, anyone who wants it can get my cell number in case of getting lost / whatever.

So who's coming?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Precision

Post by Precision »

Aglifter wrote:About 5 hours away for me -- not too bad a drive though -- MB to Charleston to Savannah. How far is the property from Savannah?
Sorry never properly answered before.

Savannah is about 45 miles away.
Precision

Re: February east coast group shoot / gathering

Post by Precision »

Bump

Is anyone still interested in doing this?
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I am, but I don't know about the timing -- I'll be taking the bar in Feb.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I'm definitely interested, and will make plans accordingly. Please to bear in mind that long-range planning around here covers the next 30 minutes or so, but there is currently nothing on the horizon that would prevent attendance.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Precision

Post by Precision »

Aglifter wrote:I am, but I don't know about the timing -- I'll be taking the bar in Feb.

What man?

You mean a few gun nuts booming all day long is gonna interrupt your study time???

We promise not to use your law books as targets. :lol: :lol: :lol:
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I would absolutely, positively love to come, but you'll have to ask me closer to February, I don't know where I'll be/what I'll be doing.
Ben Rumson

Post by Ben Rumson »

Aglifter wrote: I'll be taking the bar in Feb.
Speaking of 'errrah bars, is there a bar around?