Anyone interested in a southeast/midwest get together?

Announcements for your geographic region, or province.
Precision

Re: Anyone interested in a southeast/midwest get together?

Post by Precision »

The food was done as a tapas style for the event. The plates, were done by committee. Which is my way of saying they are not specifically what I would have used if I didn't have to appease the bean counters / lack of imagination people.

Each course was accompanied by a paired wine.
Puttin on the Pink Menu 2014v2.docx
TGC first course.jpg
TGC course 2.jpg
TGC course 3.jpg
TGC course 4.jpg
TGC dessert.jpg
TGC staff.jpg
I am the guy in jeans. The tall guy is a former employee at my last job. The four girls are high school volunteers. The one with the head band is a second year veteran.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

Weetabix wrote:What are the chances that inviting "celebrities" turns it into a Shooticon as opposed to just a gathering? I don't mind being in a group where a "celebrity" is present (I'm not prejudiced, mind you :P ) but I don't like being in crowds where the "celebrity" and the crowd both think the "celebrity" is a celebrity. I personally prefer just folk.

ETA: I don't object to the idea of inviting people from outside, I'd just want to know ahead of time what it would do to the atmosphere.
At least with Oleg, I highly doubt you'd have that problem. He's about as nice and soft-spoken as you could ever hope for.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

On reflection, gun bloggers being how they are, they're probably all decent types.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
BDK

Post by BDK »

Well... Yes, mostly. "Gun Writers" are a bit notorious - but the ones I've heard of, who might be inclined to come to something based here, would be fine.

The Big Bore shoot in Houston has lots of fairly impressive people show up - and some writers. Some of them are jokes, some of them are incredibly competent.
randy

Post by randy »

Depending on the timing, location, and financial state at the time, I'm a definite maybe possibility!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

I'm in the NW corner of Indianapolis. My work and personal schedule will calm down after October.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Precision

Post by Precision »

What is a good time of year for a get together?

In Florida, June to Oct is probably too hot for many.

North Texas Nov - Feb has cold / snow issues.

In my mind this should be like what I understand boomershoot to be. A group of people who enjoy shooting but also have other things to do and have a location where shooting, camping, hotels and a minor metro area are somewhat local.

What else do we need to arrange, work around, do, to make this happen?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Precision wrote:What else do we need to arrange, work around, do, to make this happen?
I see the following things that need to be found or coordinated (Rumpshot, feel free to chime in with expert experience):

- Select a date given your weather thoughts. It should probably also avoid known conflicts like Thanksgiving
- A shooting venue to handle the group (this one probably would benefit from someone being local to it)
- Some place for cooks to cook and for us to eat :)
- Camping or motels within a few miles
- Paraphernalia - tables, EZ ups, chairs, target stands, targets, etc. We'd need to know how developed the range is and people could say what they're bringing.

I think RR has some people arriving on Friday with the big shooting day being Saturday and some shooting on Sunday along with some departures. I'd probably have to take a Friday and a Monday for the driving.

Rumpshot, what are we missing? Also, CC if he's reading. Who organized that shoot down around Houston a couple years ago?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Precision

Post by Precision »

Here is my home range.

http://www.pmprc.com

With proper notice, I can probably get us in there as a group.
We are not exactly the Boy Scouts, but they do those kind of events there...

page 12 is a map of the range.

http://www.pmrpc.com/sites/default/file ... 1.14_0.pdf

also outside of Georgia deer (Sept 13 - Jan 15) and turkey (Mar 15 - May21) season, I can probably arrange for access to an 900 acre parcel of land. My hunting lease has a few RV hook ups on site and the owner has a RV park that is mostly retired but for a weekend he would likely let people stay there. Roughly 4 miles from town and an additional 8 miles from the site.

here

http://www.mapquest.com/us/ga/sylvania

Not sure if that helps any, but its what I could offer.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

I wont have any vacation time until 2016 :(