MCRD Graduation/ Gun Counter Meetup?

Announcements for your geographic region, or province.
Rumpshot

MCRD Graduation/ Gun Counter Meetup?

Post by Rumpshot »

BE603's son graduates from MCRD (Marine Corps Recruit Depot) San Diego on Apr 2, 2010.

I hope to attend the graduation. I believe several others in the San Diego area have expressed a similar interest.

Would it be feasible to put together some sort of Gun Counter gathering/meetup? Maybe a shooting event is too soon, but a dinner/luncheon would work.

My tenative schedule is to spend Thursday evening in my property in Ocotillo Wells after a long hard day at work followed by a 4.5 hour drive "home." Run on into San Diego early on the morning of April 2, and attend the festivities. Spend Friday night somewhere in the San Diego area, maybe some sightseeing, social activities, then head home Saturday afternoon.

BE603 will probably be busy with family. Anyone else feel like putting something together?

Flintlock Tom, could you describe the limitations/restrictions/recommendations on open carry PRK style?
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
blackeagle603

Re: MCRD Graduation/ Gun Counter Meetup?

Post by blackeagle603 »

That'd be cool to see folks at the grad-ee-ay-shun, but like you say I reckon otherwise we'll have a pretty full plate with some family from outta town. Well that and trying to homestead a table a Hodad's for the afternoon to fill the [strike]boy's[/strike] young man's hollow leg and make up for 13 weeks of mess deck chow. :lol:
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

As much time as I spent in that part of the world, I think (not quite sure) that I visited Hodad's maybe once.

Just for the chow and prices, I liked Los Quatros Milpas down under the Coronado bridge. $5.00 paid for a Carnitas Burrito, bowl of Beans, stack of tortillas, some really KILLER sauces, and a soda. The burrito probably weighed 1 1/2 pounds too.

You know the food must be good to see police officers, Naval Officers, and general public lined up on the sidewalk for 30-50 yards out front and then have a fire truck roll up with a couple of boxes of pots and pans to fill up.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

I'm on-board for the ceremony, lunch/dinner, pistol range, tour guide, whatever.
The open-carry scene over here is heating up due to all the recent publicity.
Basically it's legal IF: you're not within 1000' of a school (recon is usually recommended), and not in a Government building (anyplace bureaucrats hang out). Also, your sidearm must be unloaded. Magazines in belt pouches must be carried openly as well. Speed-loaders or loose rounds can be in your pocket.
SDPD is pretty cool with it, but it depends on the attitude of the individual officer as to how much hassle he likes to dish out.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Okay, the ceremony begins at 10:00 AM. Mrs. Rumpshot and I will be on base sometime around 8:30 AM. Look to meet up with Tom and maybe the BE603 clan. Any other Sandy Ago folks gonna make it? Socal folks?

We are supporting one of our own here folks. Time to step up. Lots of kids go through this each week, but this one is one of ours.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

So far, we're in for the ceremony and meeting afterwards. I noticed they're offering a lunch at a local restaurant on base at discount prices, as long as there's a graduating Marine in presence.

Any thought to eating at that restaurant, or preferably away from the base with some REAL food containing trans-fats and other artery-clogging goodies (inch-thick hamburgers, etc.)? I know there's a favorite for many people over at the food court in the Vons shopping center at Midway and Kemper. They have all kinds of food there for the picking, including Italian, Japanese, Chinese, 50's Malt Shop fare, frozen yogurt for the women, or if he's set on it, heading to his favorite beach restaurant (what else is nearby?).

I know ONE of the first things I wanted when I graduated (besides jumping my girlfriend), was wonderfully sloppy, good food - and LOTS of it. I also remember the first time I went for a run in tennis shoes (sneakers) after boot camp - I thought I could run all day and all night, I could run forever after always being in combat boots for EVERY SINGLE RUN. I didn't even know I had feet, it was like I had wings on the bottom of my legs.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, to be 18 years old again!! :lol: :) :D
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

I believe Hodads is on the schedule for the young lad's first dinner out. I would like to participate, but not get in the way of the family. BE603 will be pretty busy I think.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

More the merrier I reckon. Looks like a good chance his best friend will be back from A'stan just in time (if his ship date holds/replacement shows up on schedule).

Letter was slow coming this week. They had them hopping with transition back to MCRD from Pendleton. Getting 2nd uniform fitting, testing out of some training, and getting ready for final drill next week. He had to write over course of a couple days. Finished up by writing after lights out in the head to hide from DI's. Chip off the old block. :-) I'd sneak in after lights out to finish a letter or do a bit of daily Bible reading.

They're all excited to be getting their cammies back with nametags sewn on this week. This week was Pugil sticks 3 and he won again. Said that was fun. Passed MCMAP test and got his belt. Might be able to call us next Saturday says he. Spousal unit is stoked about that possibility.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

I have reservations at the La Quinta Inn in Hotel Circle for the night of the 2nd. Looks like we really will be there.

Kalifornia and the military installation are making it difficult for me. Don't have anywhere to store my sidearm for the ceremonies. I have options, but none are convenient. Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I will probably leave my sidearm home for this trip.

Any other takers to join us for this celebration?
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

They step off for the Crucible at Midnight tonight.

Oorah, indeed.