Announcing Crispin Arms, and Crispin Fabrication

Announcements for an entire nation, or for the entire world.
HTRN

Re: Announcing Crispin Arms, and Crispin Fabrication

Post by HTRN »

I looked long and hard at the Camp 45 bottom metal isssue - and like Chris, it boiled down to money. If you could justify a large enough run, having them cast and then broaching the rough opening for the magazine would probably be the way to go, but you're talking tens of thousands of parts to justify that.

Machining from solid stock presents it's own issues - first is the mag well. unless you make it in multiple pieces and then weld/screw them together, you're probably going to have it wire edm'd. This is not cheap - it will probably cost you upwards of 30 bucks each to have it done by an outside jobshop, and that's not in volumes of one either.

The reason why they did it originally ABS is easy: It's cheap to do, especially in a complicated part. They can turn them out rapidly for little cost - I wouldn't be surprised if actual cost per part, even with amortizing the injection die(which are seriously not cheap, especially complicated ones like this would require).

Frankly, If I was going to make one, I'd offer a modified version that took grease gun mags or perhaps Glock Mags, considering both are available with much higher capacities than a single stack 1911 magazine.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Chris, when do you envision being able to design & make knifes? Or perhaps to ease production, you make the blades and have someone else you trust finish the handles for your fixed-blade knives? Especially since the design and material selection for handles not using heavy industrial materials can take quite a while in the selection and design of such handles. Not too much concern when slapping on a rubber grip or such, but adding stag horn, turquoise, brass, bone, and/or materials takes time and consideration regarding which materials to put next to each other, how to mount them/secure them, their design, etc., etc.

From what I've seen, you could open a business devoted strictly to bladed items (NOTICE I did NOT saw weapon, since what makes a weapon is what you do with it, NOT the innate design of an object - since ALL weapons are simply tools which are used as weapons, some with greater efficiency & effectiveness than others' design, construction, and materials).

Over at the nearby Anza Knives factory in El Cajon (just over the hills and across the freeways from our house), I've seen some incredible handles - some which looked like they took FAR MORE work than making the blade itself!!

I suppose I should have posted this during the Christmas gift-buying season, that if anyone was looking to purchase a fixed-blade knife and wanted me to swing by the Anza knife factory to look for one of their "seconds" and pick it up at a GREATLY reduced price, to just let me know, telling me what you're looking for and how much to spend.

But I want to know when Crispin Arms might be looking to start making blades. My brother is getting out of prison in a little over a year, and I want to get him a special gift to show that we still believe in him, and now that he's clean, we're willing to trust him too. Something special which I can also have the blade engraved to let him know it was custom and made SPECIFICALLY FOR HIM for when he got out of prison (after more than a decade behind bars for drugs, but he refused to roll over on his partners and they stuck him with the full bill - otherwise he'd be dead and so would some of my family who wouldn't have been ready for shiiteheads to attack them). He spent more years behind bars to protect us from what he'd done and not involve the feds into the rest of our family's life. He wasn't worried about me, but he was worried about the others in the family who weren't as aware nor prepared to have to shoot someone at any time to protect themselves and/or others nearby.

Being a convicted felon, I can't get him a custom gun - at least not one he could ever enjoy other than looking at it behind a locked glass case which he doesn't have access to the key. So, I need to get him something else, something he can possess, something he can use, have, and enjoy, and that won't send him back to prison for having it.

Crispin Arms might have the solution to my problem regarding my brother and what I'd like to get him. :D :D :D
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Here's a couple of the Anza Knives handles I was talking about above:
IMG_3412_Turquois_Stag_Handle.JPG
And another:
IMG_3410.JPG
But I've also seen far more beautiful handles along with their VERY robust and incredibly sharp blades made from ground files. Anza Knives does quite well, considering they don't even have an advertizing budget and pay for no advertising. EVERYTHING is by word-of-mouth, and as far as the owner is concerned, that's just fine by him. They don't want to have to rush knife production, but they also wouldn't complain about a gradual increase in knives and special requests.

I got two knife blanks from Anza and sent them to CC for cryo work. He treated them and sent them back, but we haven't heard anything else from them about any changes in durability, longevity, holding an edge, etc., etc. Hopefully, he made them into some great knifes and they've gone on to really please their owners:
Knife Blanks.jpg

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

CByrneIV wrote:Uhhh... I can do knives right now. At least stock removal knives; which are almost all knives made anywhere.

I have all the proper cutters and saws, grinders, and sanders.

I just don't have a forge set up yet.
If I wanted something made to be a Bowie-style knife, what should I send you, a piece of automotive frame rail (since your forge isn't available, axle pieces are out of the question), or something else large enough (and good enough steel) to cut & grind it down to workable size, like a 20"x8" piece of frame rail?? I know about frame rails, it took me a LONG time to drill through the ones on my RV to mount the scissors jacks to our RV frame, and no, I didn't use high-speed drilling, I learned that from a neighbor who worked down at NASSCO, working on ships they were building for the Navy - he taught me about slow-speed drilling through hardened steel.

My younger brother works in the auto repair industry and has access to a variety of auto-grade steel, so if you want me to get something specific, please let me know. Also, we have a LOT of time until he gets out, but I'd sure like to present him something nice when he gets home.

Ideas, thoughts, musings, ruminations, etc., etc.?