B52 accidentally drops hypersonic missile

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
D5CAV

B52 accidentally drops hypersonic missile

Post by D5CAV »

Whoops! https://www.aerotime.aero/clement.charp ... uring-test
A B-52 strategic bomber lost a hypersonic missile being developed as part of the Hypersonic Air-breathing Weapon Concept joint program of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and the United States Air Force, Aviation Week reported. The incident happened during a captive-carry flight test, according to sources familiar with the matter.
It looks like someone fat fingered the release.

That's not gonna buff-out.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Netpackrat

Re: B52 accidentally drops hypersonic missile

Post by Netpackrat »

I see what you did there.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:19 pmI see what you did there.
Yeah...nice play

Of course that's why there's a test program for these things prior to deployment. Could have also been a software glitch or equipment malfunction. Shit happens. Better now than out in the force.

I love how they emphasized "strategic bomber" to up the drama Llama factor. I'd bet that was one of the Buffs permanently assigned to Edwards for testing, which have been so modified for testing that they couldn't be supported at a line squadron.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

D5CAV wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 pmThat's not gonna buff-out.
You know, the 52 crews really hate that term..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:46 pm
D5CAV wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 pmThat's not gonna buff-out.
You know, the 52 crews really hate that term..
Depends on the crew. Or that's a new thing. I knew several back in the day that embraced it and used it regularly. Of course that was when Men were Men and SAC was SAC... ;)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Ive always heard they preferred the name "the gray lady"...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:05 pm Ive always heard they preferred the name "the gray lady"...
Never heard that one. Of course they had just started to transition to the overall medium gray paint scheme when I got out in the early 90's. While I was in they had the green/brown light gray underside scheme (except for the D models that still had the gloss black undersides).
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

My A&P school buddies who came from B-52s referred to them as Buffs. That was circa 1980 so who knows how the attitude has changed in 40 years.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

I remember hearing the folks on Guam calling the B52s at Anderson AFB, "Big Ugly Fat Fellows".
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
randy

Post by randy »

Just saw a documentary on bombers on the AHC channel where an active duty B-52 pilot introduced it as the BUFF. Produced in 2012.