Venezuelan Navy fiasco

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Langenator

Re: Venezuelan Navy fiasco

Post by Langenator »

Greg wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:24 pm
Langenator wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:52 am I have to wonder if the Venezuelan captain had authorization for what he was doing, or if he was trying to get the cruise ship into a port controlled by his cronies where he could extract a bit of mordida (I think that's the term) to release the ship.

Given the corruption and general failure of the Venezuelan state,it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
It seems pretty obvious this was attempted piracy.
Given the state of Venezuela, it was probably freelance on the part of the ship's captain and his buddy, the base commander.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Greg

Post by Greg »

Langenator wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:27 am
Greg wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:24 pm
Langenator wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:52 am I have to wonder if the Venezuelan captain had authorization for what he was doing, or if he was trying to get the cruise ship into a port controlled by his cronies where he could extract a bit of mordida (I think that's the term) to release the ship.

Given the corruption and general failure of the Venezuelan state,it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
It seems pretty obvious this was attempted piracy.
Given the state of Venezuela, it was probably freelance on the part of the ship's captain and his buddy, the base commander.
That sounds about right.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Wrenchbender1

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

randy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:28 am Now with video! (H/t to Instapundit)
"Replying to
@Canocola
RCGS Resolute is designed to bounce off icebergs. You know, the sort of thing that opened Titanic up like a can opener.

Naiguatá, on the other hand, was strictly designed to handle water in its liquid phase."

This comment had me rolling. :lol:
Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes