Green Beret Games

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Precision

Re: Green Beret Games

Post by Precision »

D5CAV wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:34 am I didn't know Israel beat us to the punch. This is from 2017, so old news.

Popp Culture rant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUpqs-IpAXE

Cliff notes:
Israel decides IDF Standards are too hard for women so:
1. Women carry 4 mags vs. 6 mags for men
2. Women run 2km vs. 3km for men
3. Women don't have to do some of the obstacles on the obstacle course
4. Women have a shorter basic training

That should work out well. We have a border problem with people wanting to enter illegally and get free sh#t. Israel has a border problem with people wanting to enter illegally and kill them.
Why is it so tough for people in charge to realize there is a MINIMUM standard for certain things? If the standard is that you need to be able to do a 12 mile ruck march with a 55# pack. If that standard is set because the normal pack weight is 55# and a common daily march distance is 12 miles... letting someone (women) pass at 6 miles and 35# pack is going to get people KILLED. Not least likely the woman.

GF is short. 5'1". She had to pass the EVOC Evasive Vehicle Operation... without ANY accomodations. Which was tough as she is too short to see properly for rearward driving. She had to plant her foot on the floor and lift her ass up with muscles and do the evolution while effectively squatting her body weight and doing all the steering, braking, accelerating. She had a hell of a time, but practice and she succeeded. See also obstacle course. They have to drag a 185# dead weight dummy, climb an 8 foot wall as part of it and complete in less than 3 minutes. She is 5'1" and 120#. Both of those are a LOT more difficult than say for a 6'0" 235# guy. She has yet to test on that. Her first evolution was 12 minutes. With practice, refining her form and practice, practice, practice. Her best so far is 3min 05 seconds. Huge improvement

With test adrenaline, she will likely hit 2 min 50's. But if she hits 3 min 01 sec, she fails. As it should be.

As a comparison. I am 5'9" 170# on a heavy day. In a swampy, wet clay, slippery as shit day, I ran that course erring on the side of safety in 2min 30(ish) seconds. On the same day as me, someone ran it in 2 min 01 seconds. I think the course record is 1min 41 seconds.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

What I noticed in all this was how a Special Forces Team is supposed to be 12 men. But these days after all these years since 9/11 of using Special Ops troops ALL THE TIME, a lot of teams are just 6 men in the field. It sounds like the only way a Special Forces man can get a break from constant deployments is to leave SF or just plain leave the Army.

9/11 was 18 YEARS AGO. Being deployed to a combat zone was once something a military man would experience a time or two in a 20-30 year career. Now being deployed, especially if you are a Special Ops guy, IS your career. Military life was always hard on marriages and family. For 18 years now, it has been harder.

So 440 new Green Berets a year isn't enough to keep up their numbers in the field. They want 550. Obama cut the army by 40,000 or more. The pool of people who might go Green Beret and make it... has gotten smaller. And how many have not applied because of 18 years of heavy deployment on top of that? And the answer, the wrong one, is drop the standards. If this goes on the day will come when our troops pay dearly for being turned into 2nd raters while still being expected to always win no matter what.

And what about the Rangers? The SEALs? How are their numbers looking these days? Are the Marines understrength? Are they dropping the standards so they can say women can be Marine infantry? The Navy has half the ships it once had, which means half the pool of potential SEALs. Is the Ranger Regiment at full strength? How short handed are they after 18 years of this?

The British Army is all of 20,000 men these days. How much has the SAS shrunk in numbers or have they taken the 2nd rate path too?

Not long ago I read of a British Sgt. training course, about 100 men and 1 woman. The woman and 14 men failed the marching part, which by the rules means you're out till next year and you can only try twice tops. The officers ignored the rules and kept them all in the training... and about 75 corporals pretty much mutinied over it, pointed out the rules in writing, and made the officers back down.

The Green Berets who tried to uphold the standards have lost. They've been crushed by their senior officers.

In the SAS you can only try twice. But these days, the pool of people who could physically do that entrance training is less than half of what it was. And the ad campaigns seeking army recruits, well, The remaining pool of potential SAS men is shrinking fast if they don't seriously water down the rules for getting in.

The Australians have an SAS. Their entire army is only 20,000 and the reserves is a few thousand less. And for the past year or so, the Aussies have been focusing on female recruitment. Some idiot wants to make things equal by forcing 70% female recruitment when 6,000 of those 20,000 are already women. I wonder how many SAS men they actually have left?

The Western militaries have always traded on how even though the communist armies have so many troops and tanks, our soldier are each worth a bunch of theirs. But it seems to me that when it comes to China, the way we are going, with our airplanes older than grandpa and many of our ships not far behind and the watering down of the standards that made us so elite, or the great shrinkage of the potential pool from which we get our most elite troops upon whose top secret missions our military plans and foreign policies so heavily rely... there's going to be a day of reckoning.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Our military doesn't have a chance in a long war against China, unless we rebuild our manufacturing base.

As it is, we would be dependent on Europe's manufacturing base.
Termite

Post by Termite »

If some senior or former SF members don't get rid of this general, then my opinion of Green Berets will be drastically reduced.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

BDK wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:31 pm Our military doesn't have a chance in a long war against China, unless we rebuild our manufacturing base.

As it is, we would be dependent on Europe's manufacturing base.
US industrial output is the highest it has ever been.

What has fallen is industrial employment, not the same thing.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:31 pm As it is, we would be dependent on Europe's manufacturing base.
I'll take "things that are smaller than us" for 200 Alex.

Seriously, 2.3 vs 2.0 Trillion.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

Yes but we don't make much of a diversity of stuff anymore.

Europe still makes a diversity of goods - even. So I don't think we make weapons with only NATO parts anymore. We might be able to get stuff from the Japanese and Koreans to fill in the gaps but just our took and die maker shortage would be hard to overcome
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:57 pm Yes but we don't make much of a diversity of stuff anymore.
Wrong. We actually make far more stuff than they do. The two very noticeable things we don't make, is low cost consumer goods, and alot of electronics( mostly at the consumer level, premium CPUs and a fair bit of industrial electronics are made here.

Europe is far more specialized, outside a few very protected markets they face stiff completion from Asia AND the US I'm their own internal markets.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:23 pm
BDK wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:57 pm Yes but we don't make much of a diversity of stuff anymore.
Wrong. We actually make far more stuff than they do. The two very noticeable things we don't make, is low cost consumer goods, and alot of electronics( mostly at the consumer level, premium CPUs and a fair bit of industrial electronics are made here.

Europe is far more specialized, outside a few very protected markets they face stiff completion from Asia AND the US I'm their own internal markets.
The stuff we do not make any more is low value add high labor content stuff. Meh
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Also , a fair bit of some of the nastier processes have moved offshore, plating comes to mind. If the Chinese want to give their greatgrandkids chromium poisoning, I say let em. ;)