Some Marines cannot re-up due to tattoos

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Vonz90

Some Marines cannot re-up due to tattoos

Post by Vonz90 »

..... Hmmm. I say if you have standards, some will not live up to them. Oh well.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/y ... nlistment/
JKosprey

Re: Some Marines cannot re-up due to tattoos

Post by JKosprey »

Eh. Standards are one thing, but turning down trained, skilled, and willing warriors due to tattoos (barring the obvious gang related/white supremacy stuff) is one of the most REMF ideas I can think of.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

JKosprey wrote:Eh. Standards are one thing, but turning down trained, skilled, and willing warriors due to tattoos (barring the obvious gang related/white supremacy stuff) is one of the most REMF ideas I can think of.
I would say that if they knew of the standard, and got the tattoos anyway - that says plenty about them. It is not like combat vets are in short supply at this time that we don't have enough of them who know how to not get a tattoo that exceeds the standards.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote:
JKosprey wrote:Eh. Standards are one thing, but turning down trained, skilled, and willing warriors due to tattoos (barring the obvious gang related/white supremacy stuff) is one of the most REMF ideas I can think of.
I would say that if they knew of the standard, and got the tattoos anyway - that says plenty about them. It is not like combat vets are in short supply at this time that we don't have enough of them who know how to not get a tattoo that exceeds the standards.
So back to a peacetime military, where all the rules are enforced and following the rules is really the only important thing.

As opposed to a wartime military, where certain rules are overlooked because there are more important things to worry about.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Greg wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:
So back to a peacetime military, where all the rules are enforced and following the rules is really the only important thing.

As opposed to a wartime military, where certain rules are overlooked because there are more important things to worry about.
False choice. The point of putting aside rules on deployment is because they are things that take away time/emphasis on the mission, but when you are back off of deployment, you can pick them back up again. Anyway, the Marines are the absolute kings of obsessing over chicken shit both on deployment and off, so if that bothers you then it is the wrong service for you anyway.

So, sure, cut some slack for uniforms, shaving, non-spec equipment, etc. on deployment. All good, and then you pick up garrison standards when you get back to garrison - both jobs get done the way they are supposed to be done. Been there, done that and have the t-shirt.

These guys are not getting the tattoos in A-stan. They are getting them back in garrison even though they know they are disqualifying - well then obviously the tattoo is more important to them than reenlisting and they made their choice. Of 14,000 reenlistment, only 33 guys (I guess could include gals too) could not figure that out. I have a feeling that most of those 33 will not be missed by their NCO's and O's.
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

I wonder a bit about this. Back in the 90s when I was doing college, I was friends or knew about half a dozen guys who had served in the Navy and then went to college. All of them joined the army reserve when they got out, and all of them said it was so that the Navy could not recall them to active duty.

These days you hear now and then of discharges for this or that military specialty are being frozen because they are needed. And we know from the news how bad off Marine Aviation is, and Navy, and Air Force. Short of pilots, short of ground crew and mechanics, people being worked like dogs until the only break they can get is leaving. And that many experienced people are getting burned out from all the endless overtime and not re-enlisting.

So that makes me wonder... how many of these Marines may have gotten those disallowed tattoos as a means of making sure they would be discharged and not told they had to stay on active duty a while longer?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Vonz90 wrote:Anyway, the Marines are the absolute kings of obsessing over chicken shit both on deployment and off,
Also after they get dumped back into civilian life.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Vonz90 wrote:
Greg wrote:
Vonz90 wrote: I would say that if they knew of the standard, and got the tattoos anyway - that says plenty about them. It is not like combat vets are in short supply at this time that we don't have enough of them who know how to not get a tattoo that exceeds the standards.

False choice. The point of putting aside rules on deployment is because they are things that take away time/emphasis on the mission, but when you are back off of deployment, you can pick them back up again. Anyway, the Marines are the absolute kings of obsessing over chicken shit both on deployment and off, so if that bothers you then it is the wrong service for you anyway.

So, sure, cut some slack for uniforms, shaving, non-spec equipment, etc. on deployment. All good, and then you pick up garrison standards when you get back to garrison - both jobs get done the way they are supposed to be done. Been there, done that and have the t-shirt.

These guys are not getting the tattoos in A-stan. They are getting them back in garrison even though they know they are disqualifying - well then obviously the tattoo is more important to them than reenlisting and they made their choice. Of 14,000 reenlistment, only 33 guys (I guess could include gals too) could not figure that out. I have a feeling that most of those 33 will not be missed by their NCO's and O's.
Eh, fuck it. Doesn't contractor work pay better?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Johnnyreb wrote:I wonder a bit about this. Back in the 90s when I was doing college, I was friends or knew about half a dozen guys who had served in the Navy and then went to college. All of them joined the army reserve when they got out, and all of them said it was so that the Navy could not recall them to active duty.

These days you hear now and then of discharges for this or that military specialty are being frozen because they are needed. And we know from the news how bad off Marine Aviation is, and Navy, and Air Force. Short of pilots, short of ground crew and mechanics, people being worked like dogs until the only break they can get is leaving. And that many experienced people are getting burned out from all the endless overtime and not re-enlisting.

So that makes me wonder... how many of these Marines may have gotten those disallowed tattoos as a means of making sure they would be discharged and not told they had to stay on active duty a while longer?
Excellent take. What kind of discharge do they get?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Wrenchbender1

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

Johnnyreb wrote:These days you hear now and then of discharges for this or that military specialty are being frozen because they are needed. And we know from the news how bad off Marine Aviation is, and Navy, and Air Force. Short of pilots, short of ground crew and mechanics, people being worked like dogs until the only break they can get is leaving. And that many experienced people are getting burned out from all the endless overtime and not re-enlisting.
I can't vouch for the present, but when I was in, 95% of the people I knew who got out left because of the bullshit. Working long hours all day everyday sucks, but it wasn't a deal breaker for most. As long as there's a good reason for it, after a while you just shrug your shoulders, cuss a bit, and get to it.
Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes