Big Green Changing to 7.62?

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
scipioafricanus

Big Green Changing to 7.62?

Post by scipioafricanus »

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... d-us-army/

Is this real or just talk? Of course I was still surprised that the M9 was replaced so quickly.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
rightisright

Re: Big Green Changing to 7.62?

Post by rightisright »

I've read conflicting articles. Some say they want all grunts to carry a 7.62 and others say there will only be one or two per squad to act as DMRs.

Of course they could split the difference between the heavy-to-carry 7.62 and the 5.56 with a 6.5 or 6.8 cartridge...
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

The thing driving it is the wide availability of better body armor.

My guess is we will see an M16/M4 upper that takes a roughly 6.5mm telescoping polymer cased round from a standard STANAG (M4/M16) magazine. They will also call it a completely new rifle even though it is not.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Vonz90 wrote:The thing driving it is the wide availability of better body armor.

My guess is we will see an M16/M4 upper that takes a roughly 6.5mm telescoping polymer cased round from a standard STANAG (M4/M16) magazine. They will also call it a completely new rifle even though it is not.
In that case (see what I did there?), history will repeat itself on some future battlefield, when dead US service members are found with rods down their barrels, from trying to clear failures to extract from the chambers of their rifles.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Telescopic ammunition has been around awhile, and afaik, fairly reliable(i believe it got started with cannon ammo), its just obscenely expensive to maunfacture compared to traditional brass cases, let alone steel.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

30 days to bid a COTS rifle capable of full auto.

Yeah... Why do I think that this is just an excuse to throw some federal cash at a specific manufacturer?
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

NVGdude wrote:30 days to bid a COTS rifle capable of full auto.

Yeah... Why do I think that this is just an excuse to throw some federal cash at a specific manufacturer?
Because its a bid for small arms for the miltary? :ugeek: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt