A ride for Paw Paw

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
toad

A ride for Paw Paw

Post by toad »

http://www.popularmechanics.com/militar ... ton-tanks/
New turret, 120 smooth bore gun, shoot on the move electronics, high speed electrical instead of hydraulic activated turret, horse power from 750 up to 950 or 1000. ....cup holders?
PawPaw

Re: A ride for Paw Paw

Post by PawPaw »

Looks nice, and I see that they've dumped the commanders cupola for a simple hatch and an M2 mounted conventionally. I like the increased horsepower and the side-turret addition that will supply stand-off against HEAT rounds.

Breathing new life into the old girl. I figured she was destined to be statues in front of VFW and American Legion lodges.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Oddly enough, ours recently disappeared. No official word on who ended up with it.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

This is just the latest in the long line of m60 upgrade packages, sabra, magarch and m60-2000 have all been offered, or implemented, by various corps and foreign governments.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
toad

Post by toad »

The Israelis called it the "Gorilla". At first because it was much taller that other tanks especially the Russian ones. Then they found out it had a better survival rate that the Russian tanks because the larger interior wouldn't overpressure from a hit as much and pop the turret off.
I figure the chassis must be a pretty good design since it has survived so long.
Jered

Post by Jered »

The current Russian MBT is an upgraded T-72.

If you're not fighting a western European nation, Israel, or someone that has the Abrams, this should be just dandy.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I liked my ride better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DODiCTJig6o

The best job in the Army is M1 track commander.

The second best job in the Army is Cavalry platoon leader.

Unfortunately, when I got promoted to XO, I had to give up my steed for a POS M113 with three radio antennas, which I'm sure would have made me RPG bait if I ever got into a shooting war.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Jered wrote: If you're not fighting a western European nation, Israel, or someone that has the Abrams, this should be just dandy.
Or a leopard. The 2a7 is arguably the best mbt in the world right now. The there's the challenger, and the Korean k2....
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

D5CAV wrote:IThe best job in the Army is M1 track commander.

The second best job in the Army is Cavalry platoon leader.

Unfortunately, when I got promoted to XO, I had to give up my steed for a POS M113 with three radio antennas, which I'm sure would have made me RPG bait if I ever got into a shooting war.
Concur.

I was only on the M1a1 during '98-99, but it's a beast of a tank. The only criticism I had of it was that the thermals were not as good as the thermals that I used on the M60A3. What always amazed me about the Abrams was how quiet it is, especially from the front. The first time I looked through the thermals of the M1, I asked the gunner, "WTF is wrong with the sight?"

"Oh, that's an upgrade, sir"

Upgrade my ass. I walked down to the Master Gunner's tent on the line. They were using M60A3 thermals in the scoring tent. Sure enough, the sight picture looked just like it was supposed to.

But, you're right. There is no job in the world, anywhere, like being a tank commander. Or a tank platoon leader. For pure fun, everything after that is a downgrade.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
toad

Post by toad »

Tank war ganes in Germany; Canadian tanker on the M1 , " I hate those things, you can't hear them and they can ambush you too easily."