Russians buzz US warship in Baltic

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
tfbncc

Re: Russians buzz US warship in Baltic

Post by tfbncc »

"We have deep concerns about the unsafe and unprofessional Russian flight maneuvers. These actions have the potential to unnecessarily escalate tensions between countries, and could result in a miscalculation or accident that could cause serious injury or death."
This is indeed diplospeak. Translated: Next time, you might not get your nice shiny jet back in one piece. Of course, the United States Navy will be eager to help with the ongoing search efforts for the pilots...
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

"You want to play F##K around, Ivan, I each you how..."
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

McClarkus wrote:They said, and subsequent videos showed the fighter jets to be un-armed. If someone might be so kind as to explain to me how does one know that, before its too late, I would be grateful.
Fencers have a 23mm internal gun. They're never unarmed.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

You're all missing the bigger story:

The USN still has enough ships to send one to the Baltic! Mirabile dictu!

Whether they'll have enough fuel to get it back to a friendly port without a tow from the USCG cutter Eagle still remains to be seen.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Rod

Post by Rod »

We're really sorry about shooting down your plane but our CIWS seems to have had a computer virus. Do you want your pilots back?
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

That's not how the game is played.

Proper etiquette is to return the favor on 2-3 Soviet ships, in cold blood, then have an attack sub do an emergency blow and surface behind one of their top-tier ships just after it passes by.

This latter is the reason for the nautical term "poop deck", for the moment after the opposing captain shits his pants.

Of course, since the current sub fleet has practically installed a zampolit on every boat, it's far less likely to occur.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"