Jeep Vs. F/A-18 (Or How A Base Commander Got Forcibly Retired)

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
tfbncc

Re: Jeep Vs. F/A-18 (Or How A Base Commander Got Forcibly Retired)

Post by tfbncc »

Many years ago, I spent a weekend at NAS LeMoore. It's in the middle of the desert on the Eastern side of the Sierra's surrounded by hundreds of miles of nothing. A group of us from the USS Carl Vinson had to drive down there from San Fran to take our aircrew swim test so we could keep our quals up to date. There's nothing but jackrabbits and drunken farmers out there. I don't blame them for staying drunk.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Western side of the Sierras in the San Joaquin. About 25% of the nations table food comes from there. But, yeah those parts that aren't getting water -- naught but tumbling tumbleweeds. Lemoore isn't what most people think of when they enlist in the Navy to see the world.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

I was stationed at Lemoore 1974-1976 and worked at Ground Electronics on the OPS side. Checking Google-Earth, I see a lot of security improvements over the three simple gates the base used to have. Obviously still not good enough. By the way, check the flight-line on the east for damaged or incomplete F/A-18s; mishaps? They were flying A-4 and A-7 while I was there.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Dinochrome One wrote:I was stationed at Lemoore 1974-1976 and worked at Ground Electronics on the OPS side.
By the end of your hitch there, I was two years old. :mrgreen:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

Netpackrat wrote:
Dinochrome One wrote:I was stationed at Lemoore 1974-1976 and worked at Ground Electronics on the OPS side.
By the end of your hitch there, I was two years old. :mrgreen:
Well damn! That just makes me feel old,....
I AM glad that we have a wide range of age and experience here, though.

I was ETN2 at Lemoore, and the next time I was stationed at a Naval Air Facility (El Centro), I was Ground Electronics Officer.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.