ISIS/Etc Tunnel Hideouts

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Old Grafton

ISIS/Etc Tunnel Hideouts

Post by Old Grafton »

Recently I've seen a few news articles about these badguys digging underground hideouts/complexes in overrun towns to shelter from airstrikes, moving only in back alleys, avoiding nighttime movements etc. What do we currently have in the way of ordnance to penetrate
to the reported depths (up to 100 feet or more) to make life more interesting for them?
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
First Shirt

Re: ISIS/Etc Tunnel Hideouts

Post by First Shirt »

Some of the bigger bunker-busters might, but a BIG fuel-air package might generate enough overpressure to be useful.

It's been a while since I did any serious targeting, so I'm not really up-to-speed on what's currently available.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Old skool works well too, but you've got to have boots on the ground. Cave in the entrances with HE or bulldozers and watch where they come out. Cave those in too. Eventually, the oxygen will run out.

In 80 years someone will find them and do a documentary. For example, there are still a hundred miles of so of old Nazi tunnels under Berlin. The fuhrerbunker was caved in, and a parking lot built atop it.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I saw an article a while ago about how many NVA died in their bunkers from air strikes and artillery during that unpleasantness. Apparently many of them were not safe enough from the big ones and they would be buried or whatever. It was based on interviews with former NVA and such. Of course we did not usually know that in our after action analysis.

Since we are even more accurate now, I would think the margin of error in bunker building is even less now.
toad

Post by toad »

Boots on the ground or intelligence on the ground. ISIL has made enemies of locals so if you can get in agents to talk to the locals they'll rat out them out.
randy

Post by randy »

Depends. "100 feet" of what? Soil composition? Water table level? Reinforcing? etc. etc.

Depending on the answers to those questions, we had stuff in the early 90's that could make life interesting for tunnel residents, and there was stuff on the drawing boards to make that capability cheaper and more effective.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

We have no boots on the ground, and tunnels in built up areas are a targeting no-go because of collateral damage.

Get over it, or invade and besiege the cities in question. Women and children may leave the cordon, anything inside gets starved out.
It's the desert version of the WWII island strategy, minus the hitting the beaches part.
One-year cordon, no bullets except for leakers.
If you want to use PGMs, bomb the water wells.

Easy peasey, and no casualties.

People in the 12th century weren't all morons. ;)
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Aesop wrote:We have no boots on the ground, and tunnels in built up areas are a targeting no-go because of collateral damage.

Get over it, or invade and besiege the cities in question. Women and children may leave the cordon, anything inside gets starved out.
It's the desert version of the WWII island strategy, minus the hitting the beaches part.
One-year cordon, no bullets except for leakers.
If you want to use PGMs, bomb the water wells.

Easy peasey, and no casualties.

People in the 12th century weren't all morons. ;)
If you have water, flood the tunnels.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Rods from God(tm).
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

PawPaw wrote: If you have water, flood the tunnels.
If you have vehicles, flood the tunnels with Carbon Monoxide. Water is a visible warning sign..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt